The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I had a terrible afternoon. I started having pain while urinating this afternoon. Within 1 hour, I was doubled over with pain, not being able to pee although I felt like I had to. Then there was blood in my urine. Luckily, I keep some Azo urine test strips handy and I have a severe urinary tract infection. I called my doctor and he called in some Bactrim and wants to see me tomorrow morning. I keep Azo standard treatment meds on hand in case of UTI. This is my 1st UTI of the year. I had 6 infections in 2009. I am probably going to need to have some bladder function tests done to check for nerve damage in the bladder. I was warned last year after having several infections in one year that I could have some nerve damage of the bladder. I hope this is not the case but since I already have neuropathy in/on other parts of my body, it wouldn't surprise me. I thought that once my blood sugar was under control that the urinary tract infections were a thing of the past, wrong....I guess that if I have nerve damage of the bladder, there is not much I can do. These little problems are getting on my nerves. :mad::sick:

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Has you doc ever mentioned putting you on suppression therapy . . . a low dose of Bactrim for prevention of these infections? I've been on 400/80 SMZ-TMP (generic Bactrim) for many years and never get a UTI anymore.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I viewed your post prior to going to the doctor today. I asked him about the suppression therapy and he agreed. He was a little reluctant because I already take 3 doses of erythromycin a day for my gastroparesis and I would be adding another antibiotic. Many doctors don't like to prescribe antibiotics in the first place. In the 1990's I was hospitalized with pneumonia several times and several antibiotics did not work for me because I had been on so many. I took heavy doses of antibiotics for acne in 1980's & 90's.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sure hope it works for you, Breeze . . . would be wonderful to be rid of these ghastly UTIs!
I sure hope that it helps. I am really not feeling very well tonight. This UTI feels different than the ones in the past. The doctor just did a urinalysis today. I hope it is nothing more. I have no appetite and am running a fever. I have not had a fever in months. My body temp is usually low.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.