The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My sugar level increase was found on 10th of July 2010. It was 252 - before food and BP was 140/95. I was slightly tensed and I didn't want to take medicine. Doctor suggested to go for a strict diet and I checked my Sugar level on 17 July 2010. The sugar Level came down to 163- before food and my BP was 120/80.

I have started a brisk walk early morning for 45 min and a glass of Bitter guard Juice and 1 bowl of Oats. Afternoon 4 chapathis or finger millet powder(ragi) and vegetable salad. . Night Dinner again 4 chapathis.

I am continuing the same from pat 15 days and I can see the changes in sugar level. The sugar level has decreased without taking any medicine but with a strict diet and brisk walk ,

Kindly suggest if there is any best way to reduce sugar

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Oats as well raise BG. ALL carbohydrates raise BG the more carbs the food contains the more the BG rise.

fat slows down the BG rise
fiber slows down the BG rise
exercise lowers BG non intense exercise (walking) lowers BG better than intense exercise.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Potatoes and corn are the worst vegetables foe diabetics, so eat very small portions of those. I never eat cereal, it always gives me high sugar. I eat low carb bread, 8 carbs per slice. I suggest counting carbs with everything you et. I reduced my daily carb intake to 130g and that helped me lose weight. Exercise ldaily, like you are doing is great.

Richard

·
Registered
297 Posts
Have you been given a meter and testing strips? This is one of the best ways to see how you react to carbs by testing before meals and then testing one and two hours after first bite.

By using your meter and with proper nutrition and exercise, it is possible to control your blood glucose. Some people with type 2 diabetes are very good with doing this and then others are not capable because the damage was diagnosed to late or the pancreas has had too much damage. Of course Type 1 must use insulin.

Tom Ross is one of the people I am talking about and his site is Not Medicated Yet: Your Non-Depressing Guide to Type 2 Diabetes. Enjoy reading his blogs. While he makes no promises, he has been able to do this for nine years so far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today i had been to sugar test, this is the 3rd week test after my sugar was found. Today test was quite happy that my sugar level was normal. The count was 116. The last week count was 163 and this week it has been reduced. Doctor did not prescribe any medicine but suggested to be on diet. I m happy that i was able to reduce the sugar level to 116.

From here i will maintaining my strict diet with brisk walking and little exercise.
Kindly comment on my decrease in sugar level and how can I maintain the same throughout my life.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Today i had been to sugar test, this is the 3rd week test after my sugar was found. Today test was quite happy that my sugar level was normal. The count was 116. The last week count was 163 and this week it has been reduced. Doctor did not prescribe any medicine but suggested to be on diet. I m happy that i was able to reduce the sugar level to 116.

From here i will maintaining my strict diet with brisk walking and little exercise.
Kindly comment on my decrease in sugar level and how can I maintain the same throughout my life.
You should be proud of yourself for doing what your doctor suggested! Just continue to eat healthy and to walk and exercise and you will be fine! :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The same advice you've been given here to reduce you sugar level, is what it will take to maintain the lower levels - it needs to be a life-long commitment to eating the strict diet and getting the exercise. If it becomes apparent that your new diet alone no longer keeps your levels low enough, or if you are prevented from walking/exercising, you may need to consider adding meds, because diabetes is a progressive disorder, no matter how well we control our sugar levels.

Read through this thread again and take note of the foods which have capacity to raise sugar levels. Right now you are apparently tolerating some bread, oats, etc., but if you find your numbers creeping upward, those foods would be the first suspects. You would be wise to get a meter and test your own levels at least once a day. Taking a fasting test once a week is really not giving you enough data to work with, since the fasting reading is often the last place problems show up. You really should get a few tests an hour or two after eating the oats or those 4 chapatis. Then you would know without question how your diet is helping.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi

Kindly suggest if there is any best way to reduce sugar
In general you have found the best way...diet and exercise. My late father was able to eliminate insulin with diet.

You are just going to have to experiment with which foods you can eat, can eat sometimes, and should avoid at all costs. Even that list will change with time.

There are too many factors for hard and fast. Mood plays a big part. A few years back, when I was under heavy stress, my blood sugar went through the roof and almost put me in the hospital. Changing jobs brought it down.

At this time, I am able to tolerate some boiled potatoes, which I do keep in the refrigerator. But almost no rice or pasta. Last year, I could actually eat a bowl of rice and pasta, but not potatoes. Go figure!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sugar Control

Hi All

Now I more happy that my sugar level is under control. I had test my sugar level yesterday after food. my sugar level has come down from 200 to 180 and before food is 120.

Now I m having little potato, some natural sugar fruits. My sugar level did not increase. I want to observe this for another weak regarding what food I can have. I have never left brisk morning walk and having bitter guard juice early morning.

Hope I can control sugar level without medicine with proper exercise.

Regards
Prasanna.B.S

·
Registered
96 Posts
bsprasanna You have made tremendous strides in controlling your diabetes. I'm surprised that you weren't immediately put on some medication. My personal charts don't indicate what >500 mg/dl blood glucose means. But is a wonder that you weren't in a coma!

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now I m checking the Sugar level after food and it has been decreased to around 120, earlier it was 180. The effective ayurvedic medicine is Fenugreek. I eat 1 teaspoon of Fenugreek daily in the morning after a brisk walk with Bitter guard juice. So I can maintain the sugar level.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You should be proud. Your BG has dropped substantially. Diet seems to have a bigger impact than exercise for me. Low carb is the way to go. Check your BG freqently during the day to see what impacts your fod has. 4 chapatis in my opinion is 3 too many. Eat more veges instead. I have also heard fruits causing a spike in your BG. Proteins (chicken) and fats (cheese) are your friends.

Foods to control/avoid -- rice, chapatis, pasta, potatos and breads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sugar Control

Hi
I have been checking my sugar level frequently. Yesterday i had coffee with sugar some fried snacks with 1 plate full of rice. I checked the sugar level before having the above food it was 115. I checked in the morning after my daily brisk walking the sugar level was 118. The only thing i found is eat in a limit but don't stop your exercise/Brisk walk.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi
I have been checking my sugar level frequently. Yesterday i had coffee with sugar some fried snacks with 1 plate full of rice. I checked the sugar level before having the above food it was 115. I checked in the morning after my daily brisk walking the sugar level was 118. The only thing i found is eat in a limit but don't stop your exercise/Brisk walk.
When you eat the plate full of rice & drink the coffee with sugar, you should check at one hour after you've eaten it to see what happens to you sugar level. Let us know what that reading is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sugar Control

Hi

I have been doing this check for quite some days. I took the reading after 2 hrs exactly The reading was 160. Before food it was 116 and after food it is 160(2hrs). This reading is varying from150,160,140,170 sometimes 180. But nothing above 180.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts