The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went grocery shopping and decided to buy some sugar free chocolate candy. The sugar free Hershey's candy has 25 carbs per serving/20g sugar alcohol. The Russel Stover sugar free mint patties has 26 carbs per serving/23g sugar alcohol. I don't have the regular chocolate candy nutrition facts but I am not sure that sugar free candy is better than regular candy. I do know that a small Reese cup has 9 carbs. The sugar free candy is about $2 per bag and there are only a couple of servings per bag. About twice a week I indulge in a few snack size pieces of regular candy. I have become quite the label reader. It takes me 2 hours to go grocery shopping!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
This is gonna sound weird, and maybe even gross to some, but I've been using baking chocolate - just a plain old bar of Baker's unsweetened chocolate. When I need a treat, I break off a square, drizzle a little melted butter & then sprinkle with erythritol (the butter is to make the crystals stick). Tonight I even added a coupla raw almonds & raisins to the mouthful. It keeps ME happy . . . but beloved husband wasn't so happy when he took a bite of the plain bar the other day . . .

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I have also realized that many sugar free candies are not much better then the regular variety. One of the best I have found though is the Werther's Original toffee candies. They only have 15 grams of carbs for 5 pieces...or 3 grams each. Most of the time I don't eat more than one or two at a time and it definitely satisfies my sweet tooth. They taste so good even my husband loves them and is always snatching them out of my "goodie jar"!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I buy the sugar free Werther's toffee candy. It is pretty tasty. Not bad for sugar free!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I buy the sugar free Werther's toffee candy. It is pretty tasty. Not bad for sugar free!
LOL If they ever take away my Werther's or my sugar free jello there is going to be a smack down fight....they are life savers for me!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
LOL If they ever take away my Werther's or my sugar free jello there is going to be a smack down fight....they are life savers for me!
On the candies ... I thought that something with Maltitol didn't really affect you, that 26g with 23g of Maltitol meant only 3 net carbs...

Is the 'net carbs' thing a myth?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the candies ... I thought that something with Maltitol didn't really affect you, that 26g with 23g of Maltitol meant only 3 net carbs...

Is the 'net carbs' thing a myth?
I don't usually use a lot of foods that have a net carb when it has sugar alcohols. I do take into account when a food has a lower net carb because it has high fiber. Just be careful when you eat foods with net carbs.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The sugar alcohols like maltitol, sorbitol, xylitol, etc., affect people in different ways. Some of us get a spike from them, and they can also have a laxative effect, if you eat too much of them. It's yet another one of those things we each get to test & find out for ourselves. :rolleyes:

Are you beginning to get the idea that diabetes is a real do-it-yourself project?! You'd be right!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts