Sugar-Free Coconut Macaroons

Ingredients:
• 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
• 4 egg whites from large eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 cup sugar substitute
• 140ml coconut cream
• ½ cup whey protein isolate/concentrate
• ½ cup almond meal (or 1 cup almond meal and no whey)

Preparation:

• Heat oven to 375 F
  • Beat egg whites until firm peaks..then set aside
  • Combine dry ingredients
  • Add coconut cream to dry ingredients
  • Then fold the egg whites through the mixture
  • Fill muffin tin with paper liners
  • Place the mixture about 2/3 of the size of the muffin
  • Turn down the oven to 325 F and bake for about 15 minutes..Check after 10 minutes as mine browned very fast.

The mixture is quite wet, add a little more almond meal if you want it dryer.
These macaroons are light and delicious.

Reactions: Boo, moon and jwags

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Sounds pretty good. Where do you get Coconut Cream?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
same place you buy coconut milk? here we can buy it in a supermarket or asian store....you could use coconut milk...is that easier to find?

if you can't find either this link will show you how to make it

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
thanks, I can buy canned coconut milk in the Thai section of our store but I don't think I have seen coconut cream. I will look for it though.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its only become available in Australia recently...again with the popularity of Thai food...I used the coconut cream as that's what I had lol...that's how I work things....it doesn't need coconut cream you could always use cream or water and coconut essence...I was just happy I could eat them with no spike...funny thing is once I knew that I didn't need to eat them and gave the rest to a friend...

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
You bake the way I do, if I don't have an ingredient I just use something I have. My mother in law made the best macaroons. They were so easy. All they were was a bag of coconut and a can of condensed milk. but now that condensed milk is out we need to do our subs.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol I sure do....whatever is in the house...these days it's all mega healthy (for diabetics)...plus I have cooking urges at odd hours of the night

·
Registered
716 Posts
d33na said:
lol I sure do....whatever is in the house...these days it's all mega healthy (for diabetics)...plus I have cooking urges at odd hours of the night
You should open a business :) dam I wish I had time to cook like that. I miss comfort food :(

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should open a business :) dam I wish I had time to cook like that. I miss comfort food :(
my friends agree with you...lol...I love cooking...and a part of me enjoys the challenges that a restricted menu give me...ah huh I know I'm odd

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use a powdered sucralose...Im not sure what you can get where you are...these are soooooooo light though so the 'bulk' of the sugar substitute doesn't seem to be an issue....I also made mine in patty cake paper pans so they didnt have to hold together until they were cooked and cooled...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts