The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize bread around here is just about as bad as sugar for the lo carb people, but I happen to like whole grain, healthy ingredient bread. Unfortunately when you look at the ingredients, sugar is usually the third one. (sigh)

I only have one grocery store that is easy to get to, and all the breads have it as the 3rd ingredient. It seems like quite a nasty thing to do.

A woman at werk (imo that's how it should be spelled) said in England they don't use it in bread and it tastes better than the bread here. I have spent plenty of time there but it was before I ever read a food label, so don't know if that's accurate or not. I liked the bread in every country in Europe that I visited. In fact it became my favorite food when I was over there.

I guess it's just a bit of a rant. I'm not even in a situation where I could easily make my own. But the more people that know about our screwy attitude with foods, the more likely it might be changed.

Sugar in everything? yuck (I have no opinion on how that should be spelled)

·
Registered
930 Posts
Bromide

Not to worry, the toxins they put in commercial bread will most likely kill you before the excess sugar.

Bromide: the Whiter the Bread…the Quicker You’re Dead

Bromide: Death dealing in our food | Autism Today Online

http://www.healthmiracles.net/is-white-bread-poison.html

I realize bread around here is just about as bad as sugar for the lo carb people, but I happen to like whole grain, healthy ingredient bread. Unfortunately when you look at the ingredients, sugar is usually the third one. (sigh)

I only have one grocery store that is easy to get to, and all the breads have it as the 3rd ingredient. It seems like quite a nasty thing to do.

A woman at werk (imo that's how it should be spelled) said in England they don't use it in bread and it tastes better than the bread here. I have spent plenty of time there but it was before I ever read a food label, so don't know if that's accurate or not. I liked the bread in every country in Europe that I visited. In fact it became my favorite food when I was over there.

I guess it's just a bit of a rant. I'm not even in a situation where I could easily make my own. But the more people that know about our screwy attitude with foods, the more likely it might be changed.

Sugar in everything? yuck (I have no opinion on how that should be spelled)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It is not just the sugar in bread that raises bgs but other ingredients. For some of us the wheat flour by itself is enough to raise our bgs a lot. If you need to eat bread look for the kind where you can see the whole grains in it. The least processed the bread the better it is for you. Personally , I choose sprouted grain bread that has no wheat flour in it at all. The sugar that gets added to a lot of bread is used with the yeast to make it rise. That is why a lot of the breads without sugar may be much shorter and denser.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
yeast needs sugar to rise, so its in bread.

white bread will raise your BG more than sugar will, so will mashed poatatos.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I've been buying a bread that uses organic whole apples as the only sweetening agent. It's a sprouted grain bread called "Steady Eddie". (If interested, search Google for 'Steady Eddie Bread' and you'll find it.)

I limit myself to only 1 slice max per day though, because even the sprouted grain breads cause me to go up a little... Most days I have just 1/2 slice, covered in natural peanut butter, with my breakfast.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
For some reason the sprouted grain bread is much better for my bgs. I'm not exactly sure , why, though. I think it has something to do with the sprouting process from the seed. Lots of time you just need to experiment with a lot of different low carb bread and wraps to see what works.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Sprouted-Grain will almost always slow the digestion of the carbs... No refined flour.

Even whole-wheat flour is very quickly digested and converted to glucose. Sprouted grain breads use no flour, so bonus for us. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
yeast needs sugar to rise, so its in bread.
I think you've got it. Can't believe I didn't think of that, and I used to make my own beer. Bread too, but that was a long time ago and I wasn't as enthusiastic about it. Nice to have some of that upper class stuff like intelligence around here :) Thank you.

Also after the yeast reacts with the sugar, it isn't sugar any more. It had crossed my mind, 'it doesn't taste sweet' but I don't have much of a sense of taste anyway, so it's easy for me to discount my opinion.

But basically it means that I don't have to worry about sugar in bread as long as they've used the right amounts. I don't think so anyway. I realize that all carbs raise your bgs, but sugar is extra hard on me in other ways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts