The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guyz my dad is a 10 year diabetic, and he has got sweet tooth, but now he has taken a resolution of restrain from ravaging sweets , but his Blood sugar level has not dropped, What could be the reason? I would like to know , because based on what i saw, i think the people in this forum are knowledgeable.

Exact conditions:

He is exercising regularly, and he eats a lot of sweet. I was shocked that his sugar levels have increased!!!!! Is it some thing someone has experienced? Or is it something like, before there is a drastic drop there is an increase.... I hope some one can help me. P.S. He also has a lot on his mind because of his new job, and new life of course , i will not reveal his age :smile:, but he is about 5 years to retirement. Any tips would be helpful.....

Thanks
Bharat

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If he's still eating bread/potatoes/pasta/rice/cereal/etc., his levels won't drop - those foods work faster than pure sugar. What meds is he on? Does he use insulin?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Its not sweets that are the problem .... Its carbohydrates, carbs that raise BG sugar is a carb so is pasta, potato, corn, rice most fruits if its a starch it will raise BG.

You say he exercises. Strenuous exercise can raise BG a easy exercise for a longer time will reduce BG.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its not sweets that are the problem .... Its carbohydrates, carbs that raise BG sugar is a carb so is pasta, potato, corn, rice most fruits if its a starch it will raise BG.

You say he exercises. Strenuous exercise can raise BG a easy exercise for a longer time will reduce BG.
Thank you very much guys....... so what do you suggest that he does not eat rice????? I mean i am Indian, so it is rice, so how many miles of jog/walk would you suggest????? I am thinking

Orange juice ( Original)
100 % Wheat Bread

But i have a doubts.... How do you guyz reduce it.... I mean .... he think he is under pressure, so does this have anything to do with it....... Is it what they eat?

What do you eat?
What are your exercise routines?
What are your sleeping habits ?

Guyzzzz, if you can help me that would be nice????????

So what do you suggest you have for lunch!!!!!!!???????

Guyzzz this would be really helpful!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If he's still eating bread/potatoes/pasta/rice/cereal/etc., his levels won't drop - those foods work faster than pure sugar. What meds is he on? Does he use insulin?
Shanny some where in this forum they suggested potatoes, some mashed once, so what do you think ????? If you eat potatoes, what form should it be taken......

Thanks
Bharat

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Could you help us a little and tell us how high you dad's bgs are and what his HbA1c is. How many times a day does he test? Many here use our meters as our guide. We test at 2 hours after we eat. The number should be 120-140 or lower. Foods like bread, crackers, potatoes, rice, pasta, fruit and sugar are all carbs. All carbs raise bgs. If you are on certain meds or insulins you may be able to handle a few more carbs. I try to limit my meals to 15 carbs a meal and 5 per snack. For many of us potatoes or bread are worst than sugar. If he wants to see lower numbers he needs to lower his carbs or increase his meds or insulin.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Shanny some where in this forum they suggested potatoes, some mashed once, so what do you think ????? If you eat potatoes, what form should it be taken......
What I think is what I said: Don't eat bread/potatoes/pasta/rice/cereal grains; these foods raise blood glucose faster than pure sugar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I think is what I said: Don't eat bread/potatoes/pasta/rice/cereal grains; these foods raise blood glucose faster than pure sugar.
Could you help us a little and tell us how high you dad's bgs are and what his HbA1c is. How many times a day does he test? Many here use our meters as our guide. We test at 2 hours after we eat. The number should be 120-140 or lower. Foods like bread, crackers, potatoes, rice, pasta, fruit and sugar are all carbs. All carbs raise bgs. If you are on certain meds or insulins you may be able to handle a few more carbs. I try to limit my meals to 15 carbs a meal and 5 per snack. For many of us potatoes or bread are worst than sugar. If he wants to see lower numbers he needs to lower his carbs or increase his meds or insulin.

This is what i am suggesting!!!!!!

Salad with Cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, wheat chapathis ( SORT OF LIKE TORTILOS , made without oil) , Vegetable juice( made with carrot, tomatoes, etc etc ) .
Guys would you suggest a fruit for me!!!!! Give my old man some room :smile:!!!!!!
Dinner small quanties of yougurts......

Any suggestions?????

Hey guys, you do not know how helpful you have been thank you!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
This is what i am suggesting!!!!!!

Salad with Cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, wheat chapathis ( SORT OF LIKE TORTILOS , made without oil) , Vegetable juice( made with carrot, tomatoes, etc etc ) .
Guys would you suggest a fruit for me!!!!! Give my old man some room :smile:!!!!!!
Dinner small quanties of yougurts......

Any suggestions?????

Hey guys, you do not know how helpful you have been thank you!!!!!!
Do your best to also drop anything made with/from wheat.

As for fruit, the ONLY fruit I recommend are berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.) and cherries. And levels should be checked after those to see if they spike the diabetic. Some in the forums simply don't eat fruit. I can eat limited amounts, but usually just berries or cherries. Do not eat any fruit that comes in syrup or with sugar added, and avoid DRIED fruit as it's much higher in sugar content.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey guys, if I'm wrong about any of this, please correct me. I'm pretty new at this myself.

Cook with pure olive oil or coconut oil. Some use flax oil, but there are warnings, so check those out before using.

Use real butter only, & real mayonnaise. Natural cheese only. If the label on the mayo & cheese says 0 carbs, you have the right product.

Milk is high in carbs, use heavy whipping cream diluted with water instead.

Use dill pickles instead of sweet.

When you eat something with carbs in it, eat protein with it.

Walmart carries Healthy Life bread with 5 net carbs per slice.

The Netrition website has good no-carb products, including ThickItUp to thicken gravies and sauces, and Wladen Farms brand no-carb, no-calorie products like syrup, BBQ sauce, apricot spread, etc. But the onion dip and bacon dip are terrible.

Other ideas besides the recipes below: Hamburger on low carb bread, coleslaw, cucumber & onion salad, egg sandwich on low carb bread, omelette, french toast made with low carb bread plus no carb syrup, Sugar Free Jello. If not on a salt-restricted diet: pork rinds, Slim Jims, pepperoni.
--------------------------------------------------
TUNA OR CHICKEN SALAD
tuna or chicken, chopped hard boiled eggs, onion, dill pickles and celery, mayo
---
VEGGIE DIP (If you don't like the carb-free ones.)
Make chicken salad, only chop the onion, pickles and celery fine in the food processor. Chop the eggs fine. Add enough mayo that it will be easy to dip, stir until the chicken breaks up into strings. (If not using canned chicken, process the chicken, too.)
---
STUFFED CELERY (If you don't like the carb-free stuffings.)
Stuff celery with tuna salad
---
SALAD DRESSING
If you can't find a ready-made carb-free salad dressing or a home-made recipe you like, you can stir mayo into the salad.
------------
Here are links to some of the recipes I have posted. Nothing weird, just everyday recipes.

Faux Mashed Potatoes recipe here:
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/5084-newbies-faux-mashed-potatoes.html

Faux Rice recipe here:
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabet...l?highlight=for+newbies+-+faux+rice#post37938

Faux Potato Salad recipe here:
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabet...potato-salad.html?highlight=faux+potato+salad

Meatloaf recipe here:
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/5086-meatloaf.html#post37939

Pepper Steak recipe here:
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/5080-pepper-steak.html

Rouladin (stuffed beef tip steak) recipe here:
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabet...ak-rouladin.html?highlight=ROULADEN#post36023

Sausage & Kraut recipe here:
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/5088-sausage-kraut.html#post37941

Deviled Egg recipe here:
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/5090-deviled-eggs.html#post37956

Green Beans, canned or fresh. Recipe here:
http://www.diabetesforum.com/newthread.php?do=postthread&f=10

Stewed tomatoes recipe here:
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabet...toes.html?highlight=STEWED+TOMATOES#post35871

Cooked Cabbage recipe here:
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/5087-newbies-cooked-cabbage.html#post37940

G

·
Welcome Bharat :) I have goan indians married into my family and what I've noticed is their diet is high in carbs in everything they eat and drink... I notice that they put a lot of salt (not healthy for blood pressure) and sugar in their salads, and other dressings, and also they eat a lot of yoghurt which is of course a carb too. I had an indian banquet for easter this year with my indian relatives and I wound up with a sugar level of 13.8 afterwards simply because it's all carbs they're eaing in some form or another.... I have to admit it's very tasty food though. Your dad will really have to be careful about cutting back on amount of carbs he is eating. Basmati rice in in fact one of the better carbs to eat.... but don't eat so much of it. Make sure sugars and fruit juices are not added to foods. Drink plenty of water, tea & coffee Ok... but try and avoid other sugar loaded (includes fruit juice of any kind) or even diet beverages. If you look at your dad's diet you'll probably notice a lot of carbs. Look up on the net what has carbs in it.... you would be surprised. Fructose is also a carb... so fruit has to be limited. Look up "glycemic index" and work out what type of carbs are better than others when incorporating portioned carbs into diet. Eating sweet stuff... that will usually spike BGLs quick and then there will be a sudden crash... it will make your dad feel lousy. It's all about balance. Your dad should be doing plenty of testing of his BGLs to find what does work and what doesn't work... every diabetic is different and what works for one may not necessarily work for another. Eg... I eat more carbs than some others would on this forum.... but I choose low GI carbs mostly as they work for me. I'm sure there's lots of things for you to consider at this stage. Keep us posted on how things go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.