The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, explores the damage caused by sugary foods. He argues that fructose (too much) and fiber (not enough) appear to be cornerstones of the obesity epidemic through their effects on insulin. Series: UCSF Mini Medical School for the Public [7/2009] [Health and Medicine] [Show ID: 16717]
---

Here is Dr Lustig again in a later interview (broadcast July 5, 2010) on The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show with Jimmy Moore... Dr. Robert Lustig From ‘Sugar: The Bitter Truth’ (Episode 378)

---

And here is a 2006 review of related literature by Dr Lustig... Childhood obesity: behavioral aberration or biochemical drive? Reinterpreting the First Law of Thermodynamics
Review criteria
I searched for original articles focusing on energy balance and obesity in MEDLINE and PubMed from 1994 to 2005. The search terms I used were "insulin", "insulin resistance", "leptin", and "leptin resistance". All papers identified were English-language full-text papers. I also searched the reference lists of identified articles for further papers.
Robert H Lustig is Professor of Clinical Pediatrics, Division of Endocrinology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA. He is a pediatric neuroendocrinologist with a specific research interest in the central control of energy balance. He has spent the last 10 years [as of 2006] delineating the physiological abnormalities that result in obesity, and specifically the neural and hormonal mechanisms of energy expenditure versus storage. Dr Lustig is Chairman of the Obesity Task Force of the Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society, and is a member of the Obesity Task Force and of the Pediatric Obesity Practice Guidelines Committee of the Endocrine Society.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I love this video. I had my DIL watch it. She's on board with low-carb, low glycemic index eating, but she does the low-fat thing too. Too bad.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It really IS too bad . . . we've been sold a bill-of-goods all these years about fats being bad, and it's all politics to benefit certain industries!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts