The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going back to school full time and it will be very time intensive... I can get in the 3 main meals for sure but not sure if i can get the 2 "snacks" in well... i guess I could bring baggies of nuts or some non-squishy/crumby foods. for dinner I usually eat whatever with roommate - he likes to eat carbs but also veggies (usually low GI ones like green leaves, snow peas, etc.). I do try to make a point to not eat too much carb - the lunch at the cafeteria is a bit meh. The lunch is usually sub station, pizza, burritos, some chinese food with rice and a mediocre salad bar (no protein just basic leaves etc.).

I did do a blood work with doc couple weeks ago and my a1c is 8. something which was a 1 point improvement from before and everything else was drastically down and he was impressed. That time period was when i started clean up my acts and stopped binge eating (well a lot less :p). I just did a random test today after an indian dinner where i had some lamb with some sauce and 3/4 of a nan and it was 110 (~2 hours).

any suggestions on future lifestyle? i will be superbusy thats for sure...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think when you have diabetes you need to learn to eat in the real world. Even eating out on Campus shouldn't be hard. Just pick lower carb items from the cafeteria. Even things like burgers, hot dogs, club sandwiches can be healthy if you ditch the bread. You can also bring some low carb food with you everyday. Things like nuts, cheese sticks, raw veggies and hummus are great. I find I can handle sprouted grain bread at lunch time, so you could even make a sandwich on it and brown bag it for one meal. Just because carby food is around you, it doesn't mean you have to eat it. Most cafeterias offer salads. Cut up a burger and add it to the salad. Whenever I travel I throw a cache of low carb items in my backpack. Things like Atkins or Quest Bars work great . I also bake my own low carb cookies with almond meal, coconut oil and peanut butter. They are low carb and high protein and are great when you are on the go.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It was MCS's original Almondoodle Recipe and I just tweaked it a little. I also usually make it in a big rectangle pan, so it is more like a bar cookie. Boy, am I lazy. Here is my version:

Peanut Butter Bar Cookies

1 1/2 cup almond meal
1 1/2 cups flaxseed meal
1/2 cup - 3/4 cup sweetner ( I use a combo of stevia and erythitol)
1 t salt
2 t cream of tatar
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup peanut butter (natural)
1 t vanilla
1 t baking soda
2 eggs

cinnamon and splenda

Mix all ingredients except cinnamon and splenda. Spread in a rectangle baking dish lined with parchement paper. Sprinkle splenda and cinnamon on top. Bake 350 for about 18-22 minutes until it is lightly browned. Take out and cool. As it cools it will crisp up a little.

You can also make a cookie with this dough. Just roll the dough into little balls and roll in splenda/cinnamon mix and place on parchment paper and flatten with a fork or your hands. I use the heel of my hand, the fork tends to stick. Bake 350 for about 9-11 minutes or until crisp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts