The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm trying to find out what the best (lowest carb) choices are for the following:

ice cream
pasta
tortillas
bread

Thanks for any help/suggestions you can give me, this way of eating is new to me and very confusing....

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Breyer's makes a Carbsmart ice cream that is good, and you can search our recipes board for some of the low-carb breads/biscuits/muffins/wraps we've discovered and/or invented, but for pasta you may just have to bite the bullet or else substitute spaghetti squash for it.

I went through the same struggle you are - trying to find substitutes for all my favorite carb-ridden foods. All the low-carb breads we make are not like fluffy yeast breads, but they are good and once we make up our minds that this is what is required to control our blood sugar, they are darn good!

And as for the Breyer's . . . the problem there is that it's SO good, you'll want to eat the whole thing, and then that's too much of a good thing! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
For ice cream there are a few choices depending on what's available in your area. I hear people on the forums talk about the Breyer's Carb Smart. Some make their own.

For pasta there is Dreamfields - but for many, many, many (in fact, the majority of people) even cooking it al dente reacts the same as any other pasta. Your BEST bet for pasta is substitute spaghetti squash or shiritaki noodles. EDIT: You can also use zucchini or eggplant as a substitute for lasagna noodles...

There are several low-carb tortillas available. I use "Mama Lupe" (Netrition sells them, or you can google 'em) low-carb tortillas, 7 grams carbohydrate per 7" tortilla (3 "net carbs" but I don't buy into the 'net carb' idea)

For bread - there simply is no low-carb bread except making your own 'oopsie' rolls or something similar. If you must have bread, I find Sprouted-Grain to personally have the lowest glycemic impact on my own self (sprouted grain breads don't use flour), but I only eat 1/2 slice at a time usually. I might have an entire slice if I've been really good with my carbs all day, and make a 1/2 sandwich out of it that's simply STUFFED with meat, cheese, lettuce, pickle, mayo etc.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I tried shirataki noodles tonight and they are amazingly good!! They are an excellent choice for a noodle replacement! I was worried about them but they are well worth the money. Follow the directions on the package though!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
And I found the Oopsie rolls to be good for a sandwich...even a barbecue drippy one as well as a hamburger! Also, the Mr. Peanut bread in our recipes is very good.

·
Banned
5 Posts
I think pasta is fine from this list. But for low carb mushroom is the best food for you. Mushroom contains good protein and very low carb and no fat. Mushroom salad, soup and mushroom in baked form is tasty and nutritional.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts