The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had fried okra and squash casserole. Both were wonderful. We also ate grilled chicken breast which I slightly over cooked but OK.

SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE
5-6 summer squash
3/4 stick butter
1 c. sour cream
1 c. chopped onion
1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 tbsp. white wine
1 jigger of water

Microwave sliced summer squash 6 min with one jigger of water.. add butter, cheddar cheese, sour cream, onion, Parmesan cheese and wine. Mix completely. Pour into casserole baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Bugg:p & Jan drank the rest of the wine..hick:hungry:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I found a pic of the Summer Squash plate and thought I would post it. (I just learned to post pics and I'm playing. LOL :D)

I have heard you can use frozen squash instead of fresh and it works just fine. We made it several times after the post and left out the wine and it was just as good. (maybe better... also means more wine to drink)

BTY that fried okra is wonderful if you have never tried it, you should. It looks burned but its actually cooked perfect.

bugg:pSquash/Okra...can't wait till summer:thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hey Bugg? If you scroll down below the message box, there are options for managing attachments,
and if you post your pix using "attach files", it makes a thumbnail in your message so the full-size image
isn't spreading the board so much sideways. Like this: ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Bugg? If you scroll down below the message box, there are options for managing attachments,
and if you post your pix using "attach files", it makes a thumbnail in your message so the full-size image
isn't spreading the board so much sideways. Like this: ;)
Thanks Shanny... I started to ask you for help b4 I started playing...but:confused:

bugg wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving

Attachments

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I found a pic of the Summer Squash plate and thought I would post it. (I just learned to post pics and I'm playing. LOL :D)

I have heard you can use frozen squash instead of fresh and it works just fine. We made it several times after the post and left out the wine and it was just as good. (maybe better... also means more wine to drink)

BTY that fried okra is wonderful if you have never tried it, you should. It looks burned but its actually cooked perfect.

bugg:pSquash/Okra...can't wait till summer:thumb:

I was about to ask "where do you get fresh okra"? Then I look at the information under your avatar and learned you are from Georgia. We can only get it in IL during the Summer and then it is only for a short time that our store sells it. Love the Summer Squash casserole :)

Reactions: Bugg

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Strawb... You can use frozen okra also... thaw it out and fry in bacon drippings. Man Please...!!! Wonderful...!!!

bugg:pbacon fat is :love:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Strawb... You can use frozen okra also... thaw it out and fry in bacon drippings. Man Please...!!! Wonderful...!!!

bugg:pbacon fat is :love:
bugg just a thought on chicken parts...if you dont mind a suggestion :) last year my dorta lol TOLD me I was using the wrong bit of the chicken...she said the thighs were tastier and had more fat...Im a stubborn cow and resisted lol mostly because she is way pushy!....but you know I tried it and they are soooooooooooo moist...

one of my favourite things to do with them is marinate them in yoghurt mixed with a good curry paste....then cook them in the oven on max heat for 30minutes...awesome....almost as good as tandoori chicken!

Reactions: Bugg

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Chicken thighs are a lot cheaper too . . . it's all I ever used to use in making gumbo. Y'know, gumbo would be pretty LC if not for the rice . . . mebbe I oughta test that out this winter & just ditch the rice.

·
Registered
741 Posts
chicken thighs used to be cheap here too...but now everyone wants organic and hormone free and the prices have soared...damn annoying...I think they're the tastiest part of the chicken

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Chicken thighs are a lot cheaper too . . . it's all I ever used to use in making gumbo. Y'know, gumbo would be pretty LC if not for the rice . . . mebbe I oughta test that out this winter & just ditch the rice.
Have you tried replacing the rice with grated cauliflower? I think that would work well in gumbo.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Have you tried replacing the rice with grated cauliflower? I think that would work well in gumbo.
I think so too - I just haven't made it for years. We used to grow okra & would have tons of it if we were good about picking it every day. The tiny tender pods are the best. Everlovin' has been outta the gardening game for quite awhile now - he planted a coupla beds this year, but his heart wasn't in it.

I'll try the frozen okra.

·
Registered
741 Posts
*nods* also the ppl that make miracle noodle do a rice too

1 - 13 of 13 Posts