The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I meant to start a new thread on this, but initially posted it as a "reply" on another thread, so I'm starting anew. :) I will repost what I said and then some new info I'm finding:

Ok, what about sunchoke???
First time I've ever heard of this and what I was reading said they were a good replacement for potatoes for diabetics, so I did some research and first found this: 14 grams of sugar in 1 cup of fresh, sliced sunchokes. HOLY COW.....then I read this: "The edible portion of this member of the sunflower family is the tuber or swollen end of an underground stem, which in some respects resembles a potato. However, unlike most starchy vegetables, the principal storage carbohydrate in sunchokes immediately after harvest is inulin (not insulin) rather than starch. When consumed the inulin is converted in the digestive tract to fructose rather than glucose, which can be tolerated by diabetics."

Since inulin is not absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, it is considered to be a fiber. It is a soluble fiber as opposed to cellulose which is insoluble. Inulin/FOS also goes by names such as Neosugar, Alant Starch, Atlanta Starch, Alantin, Dahlin, Helenin, and Diabetic Sugar. It also has a slightly sweet taste and is very low on the glycemic index making it suitable for diabetics. There are even some claims it can be used as a sugar substitute.

Learn more: Inulin: Friend or Foe?

foxl eats it and tolerates it.... this is good news I think! Anyone else eat sunchoke?

·
Registered
741 Posts
I did a quick images search as I'd never heard of them lol and found this drool-worthy picture artichoke..as far as I can remember they are expensive here in Oz but I shall have a looksee at the local markets...anything is worth a try :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
oh I read the rest and its not an artichoke lol...its 5am here....

·
Registered
741 Posts
it looks like a tuber...*squints* these types of veg are easy to grow...might be time for a vegie patch!

Reactions: Diana

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
foxl eats it and tolerates it.... this is good news I think! Anyone else eat sunchoke?

Alas, you mistook me -- I do NOT. :' ( I loved them in the 1960's though!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Where do you find sunchokes? I don't think I have ever seen them in stores. I do see inulin added to a lot of LC products for fiber , though.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yes, and peeling them is similar! LOL.

They are not artichokes, and the name derives from the Italian, Girasol. They are sunflower roots, but from a smaller-flowered variety, not the ones we use for oil seeds or snacking seeds. Kinda looks like the KS variety!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts