The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any insight as to why I feel so tired, but my blood sugar is good for me at 120? It's on the low end of my readings for now (3rd week on Met and 3rd week since dx). I just want to fall asleep. Haven't had dinner yet; waiting for my hubby. My diet has been about 70-80% fat, about 5-7% carbs and the rest protein today. I'm counting calories while watching my percentages because I need to lose weight.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About 1500, give or take. I used the keto calculator that was suggested to me on this site and that's what I'm going off of.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I felt fine after I had dinner and went for a walk. I think I just need to have more to eat at lunch. Balance it out a bit better instead of hoarding my calories for the end of the day. I also think I need to have a protein snack before bedtime and see if it helps my dawn syndrome or not. So, I guess I have to find a better balance throughout the day. Tomorrow is another chance to do better, right?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Forget about calories - just concentrate on avoiding carbs. If you starve yourself, your body goes into survival mode and tries to conserve all energy for survival. When you stop counting calories and just focus on replacing the carbs with fats, your body then gets fuel for energy because it gets it from the fats.

I get that it's contrary to everything we've been endoctrinated with for the past 50 years, but it's true and it works. Deep-six the carbs, and double-up on fats.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
I like to call this a sort of "drunken stupor" or "comfortably numb".

As said, eat more, don't count calories. Also search for Atkin's Flu. Could be induction problems.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have this problem occasionally even while my bs registers below 100 (5.5).
I can get so tired, I need to lay down. I will try more fats in my diet. My source of fat is mainly butter and lots of avo. Its obviously not enough. It takes 30-45min before I start feeling ok again.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I agree with the above comments, but also, you should consider a few other things. Juanita, I see you're three weeks since diagnosis. This is a lot to handle when recently diagnosed. The stress, what now, what should I do, testing, watching, monitoring, taking medicine, and all that goes with it is very stressful at first. Changes in diet, and everything else included. (Well, at least for me and most others I know, it certainly was.) That can easily exhaust a person. While I also agree with the others as far as increasing calories, you really may just need time to get "back to normal" from your initial diagnosis. While I know that it's not going to exactly be "normal" again as it was before diagnosis, there will come a point where life settles back down a little, and the stress eases. Until then, take care of yourself, take a nap when you can, and try to relax a bit with your favorite calming activities.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys, I'm NOT starving myself. In fact, I'm not very often actually hungry. I am controlling my portions and often can't even finish what I have on my plate, so I stop. I'm snacking regularly. I'm consuming about 70% of my calories from fat. What's more, I'm following the guidelines found here Keto Calculator which was suggested to me by more than one person on this site and makes more sense to me than anything else. Like I said, I think I figured it out last night; I just didn't have enough for lunch. Yesterday. One meal. No reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Trust me, I'm following the plan. But I WILL watch my calories because BEFORE, I ate TOO MUCH, period. I am in transition, and I am monitoring whether or not I'm actually hungry or not. Yesterday was a learning point. My blood sugar was lower than usual for me, and yet I still felt very tired. I should probably have a light protein snack at those times, whether or not I actually feel hunger, right? My body is confused and thinks it's too low even though it isn't.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Could it possibly be the Metformin? I started experiencing pretty extreme fatigue after I started taking it, and I posted about this a while back. Others piped in saying they had experienced the same thing on Met. I've been on it for almost three months now, and the fatigue has mostly gone away.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no idea, having been on Metformin for 3 weeks. I think I get enough salt, though. Things taste plenty salty, at least. Maybe I should try a bouillon beverage if I feel like that again? And a handful of almonds, to cover my bases.....:noidea:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts