The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not afflicted with a throbbing sweet tooth, but do enjoy a good dessert or treat occasionally. Have recently been sweetening my coffee in order to have a bite of 90% chocolate with it - otherwise coffee is only creamed, not sweetened.

So last night I was all settled in my chair with my coffee & chocolate, jabbering away with the old woodchopper & enjoying the wonderful peace & QUIET of the wood stove radiating its magical warmth . . . when I took a bite of chocolate, the conversation turned to require more strict attention, and I forgot about the swallow of sweetened coffee to temper the unsweetened chocolate. Afterward I realized what had happened & was struck by my total enjoyment of the chocolate WITHOUT sweetening! I know many of you have discovered this yourselves . . . so I tried it on purpose tonight. My taster has truly adapted & the 90% cocoa bars are delightful stand-alone treats. And I can REALLY enjoy my coffee with only cream & coconut oil - and no sweetening! O happy day! :D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I routinely eat the 90% without any problem. One day my husband wanted a bite of it. I gave him a square and the look on his face was so funny. He definitely wasn't use to it. I have found my tastebuds have changed since becoming diabetic.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Are these chocolates somewhere labeled as 90 % ?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I buy the Lindt's 90 % dark chocolate. The lowest carb is the Trader Joe's unsweetened chocolate.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I buy the Lindt's 90 % dark chocolate. The lowest carb is the Trader Joe's unsweetened chocolate.
Lindt's is what I have too, and I also gave the old woodchopper a taste the first time I ever bought it. Suffice to say he was emphatically unimpressed . . .

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of dark chocolate - find its a bit bitter for me.... on the plus side, I guess you eat less :D But since my yummy milk chocolate is now a thing of the past, maybe i'll give it another go :)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Cool discovery, Shanny!

Unsweetened chocolate's been a favorite of mine ever since I first snitched a nibble of Baker's chocolate from my grandmother's cupboard decades ago.

But since diagnosis, I've been flabbergasted how many foods have a natural sweetness without adding a single, blessed sugar crystal.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
But since diagnosis, I've been flabbergasted how many foods have a natural sweetness without adding a single, blessed sugar crystal.
So true! I couldn't figure out what was so sweet in a salad I bought one night. It was a few pieces of corn! Before diagnosis I probably wouldn't have even noticed them.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I always loved dark chocolate! If you you guys feel funky one day, try a piece of your fav dark chocolate, a piece of charp cheddar and a peanut. Together! Talk about a snack!!!! :hungry:

It's funny (and great!) how taste buds change... adapt. I think it's wonderful Shanny! :high5:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Lindt have a new dark chocolate that supposedly has "less bitterness". I'll look for it at the store next time as I don't know about the carbs.

I don't eat a lot of chocolate but when I do I just eat the regular stuff since I'm type 1 and shoot up on insulin for it ;)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Lindt have a new dark chocolate that supposedly has "less bitterness". I'll look for it at the store next time as I don't know about the carbs.

I don't eat a lot of chocolate but when I do I just eat the regular stuff since I'm type 1 and shoot up on insulin for it ;)
I just purchased Lindt 99% at our local "Foodie Mecca" Jungle Jim's.
I'm not much of a chocolate eater but I found that if you chew this, it is godawful. I find it palatable by just dissolving a piece in my mouth.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I drank a lot of coffee for years but hardly touch it now. I liked to mix dry powdered unsweetened baker's chocolate in it. It wasn't the instant type, but if I put it in the cup before pouring the coffee, about half of it would dissolve just from that. I also often added cinnamon, whitener and/or skim milk powder.

The milk powder was like sweetener for me.

Like a few of the comments so far, I've been appreciating other foods more and more as the sweet stuff dropped off.

Who'd a thunk it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts