The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Sounds like a hormonal hot flash. Many times if your body is producing stress hormones you will get those heat surges. They are very similar to menopausal hot flashes. I can usually tell when my bg is ready to spike by one of those hot flashes. You might want to get your thyroid and cortisol levels checked.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope it is only heat surges and not menopausal. I just turned 38, two months ago. When I get my blood pressure down and glucose levels right I want to try and get pregnant with a second child in a few months. I was very sick with my first child so that is why I waited so long. I was a high risk pregnancy(toxemia).

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I`m type 1, but each time I start to sweat I`ve checked my BG.
For me the sweat is a sign that my BG are going up or down. For example after dinner yesterday it was 8,1. Half an hour later I started to sweat, and it was 5,1.
But if I eat something I shouldn`t have, I start to sweat and a check shows my BG are rising.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I got those from adrenal rushes, pre-meno. Now I have hot flashes.

The other night I had a hypo (which causes an adrenal rush)... but was slow to recognize it was NOT a hot flash. SIGH. Was down to 41 before I figured it out, and of course overcorrected.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Brand, I get hot flashes for many different reasons. Like jwags stated, it could be pre-meno or hormone/stress related. Optimist is also right with a spike or low in bg's. I've had the sweats when I go very hypo (in the 40-50 range with bg), and I sometimes get sweaty when I've had a spike or surge in bg's. I think sometimes it is due to a liver dump as well, but because I'm 49, I do get periods of hot flashes due to pre-meno or meno in and of itself (I don't know if I am in menopause yet because I had a hysterectomy 12 years ago, so no monthly cycle. I have asked for a hormone reading when I get blood work, but they keep forgetting to mark it). When these hot flashes occur, check your bg's, and if they are normal, then it is probably hormone related.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My vision is usually blurry when this happens. Maybe my glucose levels are up. Because I went to this store for my job and my vision was very blurry and I was hot and sweating and it was cold outside.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
One of the things Diabetics do get is Liver Dumps. What usually happens is that our body produces stress hormones when it thinks we are under stress. Usually these hormones are only produced in Fight and Flight situations, but with D's our body's sensors are out of whack. There should be good communication between the hormones in our pancreas and liver and they should work in tandem. But they don't always work that way. So when our body produces too much cortisol, adrenaline or even growth hormone it then signals liver to convert glycogen into glucose. I have difficulty differentiating the hot flashes from the adrenaline rushes. I am 7 years post Menopause so I feel I shouldn't be getting hot flashes anymore. I often will wake up around 2-3 am with an enormous hot flash. Usually by the time I test my bg is high. As Foxi said sometimes you might have been low and your liver kicked in glucose giving you the bg jump and hot flash. My husband and I have a constant battle with the covers in the winter. He is always cold and I am always warm.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Can being cold also be related to diabetes? I'm usually the hot flash queen, but since I've changed my diet and started taking Janumet, I'm often cold. Earlier this week, I even woke up cold in the middle of the night and had to turn on a heating pad.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
For Shanny and jwags: I solved the problem with hubby being cold and me being warm at night by using two separate blankets on the bed. He has his blankets (and one is an old Army wool blanket!) and I have just a throw type blanket. It solved many a fight in the middle of the night I'll tell ya!
WVMom, once you start eating LCHF WOE, I think your body adjusts because I have had the same happen with me. I'll take it though since I HATE being hot!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It's the same in my house where Wifey is always cold and I'm always hot. It's easily resolved though by me always throwing aside my covers and her happily placing them over herself.
Yep - my method too. I just fold my covers over onto him & everybody's happy - except maybe the cat, who's prob'ly in the middle & HATES getting covered up. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts