The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have really fallen off the wagon the last couple of days; chocolates, lemon creme cookies; BSL been running 135-142 in the mornings when I was down as low as 108-112 two weeks ago. My feet are even starting swell. Can anybody recommend anything besides just plain ole will power to help with sweet cravings. It's almost like I can't turn it off. HELP!!!:(:confused:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
When you eat high carb, you crave more, but if you start eating low carb, the cravings will become less and less.

There are certain sweet tasting treats that you can eat, and if you don't go overboard on them, still stay within your daily carb limit.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
You just have to "man up" and get over it.

Think of that junk as the poison that it is. Its ripping you apart from the inside out. If you value your eyesight/limbs/life, you'll move quickly to stop consuming that garbage

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I have no willpower at all. Zip. Nada. Zilch.

But I spent a long time feeling awful for no good reason. Depression, brain fog, fatigue, weird feet, all of that stuff.

One bad day, I finally learned the reason. Soon after, I got meds, a meter and a medically recommended, but bad, diet.

Numbers refused to go down despite meds. Not enough meds. Got meds adjusted. Still no joy. Did some research. Found this place.

Dropped bad medical diet, went low carb. Felt better immediately, and I'm still seeing improvement. (Literally. My eyes were wonky, too.) Granted, some days are nowhere near as good as others, but every day is better than the pre-diagnosis past.

If I had to depend on willpower AT ALL, I'd still be crawling about on Square One.

But Gizmo's right -- low carb does lower the cravings. Feeling better? That really takes their power away!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I often crave something sweet and I tend to thinly slice carrot, beetroot, parsnips ad sweet potato using a cheese grator and just cook them as crisps/chips. Add a bit of pepper and that's it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think we have all gone through the cravings. I would suggest you go through your pantries and toss out everything that tempts you. Replace it with healthier lower carb food. The trick with sweet cravings is to have something available that is good for you. I make boatloads of flaxseed/almond flour bars and use erytithol and splenda to sweeten. A bar or two will usually satisfy me. I also keep Atkins bars in the house. When you have a chocolate craving, a half a bar will usually quench that craving.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think we have all gone through the cravings. I would suggest you go through your pantries and toss out everything that tempts you. Replace it with healthier lower carb food. The trick with sweet cravings is to have something available that is good for you. I make boatloads of flaxseed/almond flour bars and use erytithol and splenda to sweeten. A bar or two will usually satisfy me. I also keep Atkins bars in the house. When you have a chocolate craving, a half a bar will usually quench that craving.
Can you share your recipie for the flaxseed/almond bars???

·
Registered
460 Posts
There should be no need to go hungry. If you need snack why not have some bacon and eggs, or a couple of pieces of dark chocolate -- 70% cocoa or higher... just let it melt in your mouth, eat a heaping teaspoon of peanut butter straight off the spoon.

As above: I found that the fewer refined carbs I ate the less I craved them.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Before purchasing sugar free Jello, I read the ingredients. If it contains Maltodextrin, I don't buy it because it spikes my bg. Same with Walmart sugar free gelatin, some have it, some don't. Here is an easy gelatin recipe you might like, kind of like a mousse.

Make sugar free jello according to package instructions. When partially set, whip 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream. Gently stir it into the jello and refrigerate until set.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Maltodextrin is "sugar" in disguise as "starch" -- despite being rapidly digested into Glucose.

"Sugar" and "Starch" are weasel words used by the food industry to try and mislead us. Look at your nutrition labels under Carbohydrates, where Fibre and Sugar is listed but rarely add up to the Total -- the remainder is either Starch or Sugar Alcohols... trouble is: Starch can spike your BG just as fast as Sugar and yet they can still legally label the "food" as "Sugar Free".

The other one to watch for is "No Sugar Added".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts