The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Linda's Low Carb Menus: If you need any more proof that Linda has outstanding recipes, just give this a try. No need for the shredded iceberg lettuce, no rice or noodles or ANYthing - just dish it up in a big bowl & get to work! It's a great sauce.

NANCY'S SWEET & SOUR PORK STIR FRY VARIATION
2 tablespoons oil
1 small onion, coarsely chopped, 2 1/2 ounces
1 small carrot, thinly sliced diagonally, 1 3/4 ounces
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1½-2 pounds leftover cooked pork loin roast, cut into 1" cubes (I diced mine much smaller)
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

SAUCE:
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
2/3 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger or a pinch of freshly grated ginger
2 tablespoons s/f catsup
2 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoon rice wine or dry white wine
2 tablespoon Da Vinci sugar free syrup, pineapple flavor

To prepare the sauce, whisk all of the sauce ingredients in a 2-cup measuring cup; set aside.

Heat the oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Stir-fry the carrots and onion until the carrots are almost crisp-tender. Add the garlic, peppers and pork. Stir-fry for a couple minutes until the peppers lose some of their crunch and the pork is heated through.

Lightly sprinkle the xanthan gum over the surface then quickly stir in well. Give the sauce a quick stir then pour it into the wok. Bring the sauce to a boil; cook and stir just until it thickens slightly. Much more cooking at this point will result in soggy vegetables. Serve over chopped iceberg lettuce, if desired.

Makes 6 servings
Do not freeze

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
This sounds great. I'm going to give it a try after I make my next order to Netrition. Love sweet & sour pork. Thanks for posting this, Shanny.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Lightly sprinkle the xanthan gum over the surface then quickly stir in well.
Where could I find xanthan gum? Health food store?

Thanks! This sounds just delicious.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wellll . . . I confess. :eek: I didn't have xanthan gum either, so I cheated & used cornstarch. About a tsp., so it prob'ly added a coupla/three grams of carbs. I didn't want it too thick - everlovin' husband has issues with thick syrupy stir-fry sauces . . . ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,160 Posts
I found it at a grocery store, but a huge one that has an organic section on every aisle. Health food store would surely have it, or mail order.

Alternatively, I could send you a smidge in a plain brown wrapper (and freak the mail service thinking I'm smuggling something in to you), and nearly everyone else on the forum, and still have enough left over. I think I'll be using this same little bag for decades.

A little goes a very very long way!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh wow, that sauce sounds awesome. I've never thought of using sugar free pineapple syrup in recipes. That opens up a lot of possibilities...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts