Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Sweet Taste In Mouth Triggers Insulin Release

15K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  fgummett 
#1 · (Edited)
Sweet Taste In Mouth Triggers Insulin Release?

What do you think about this?

My sis sent me an email forward about Diabetes, written by a Dr. David Williams. In part, this is what he said:

Avoid artificial sweeteners. The sweet taste in your mouth triggers the release of insulin, even though there might not be any sugar that needs to be dealt with. Candies and gum trigger the same reaction. But if you have a sweet tooth that must be satisfied, you can turn to one of these two healthy, natural sweeteners: Stevia (which is also sold under the brand name “Truvia”) and Xylitol.

Avoid soft drinks and all fruit juices, regardless of whether they have been sweetened naturally or with sugar.

#4 · (Edited)
interesting

interesting that they used his disclaimer as proof that he is a fraud.

well the the official Lantus page has a disclaimer also:

"The health information contained herein is provided for general educational purposes only. Your healthcare professional is the single best source of information regarding your health. Please consult your healthcare professional if you have any questions about your health or treatment."

http://www.lantus.com/learn/default.aspx?WT.mc_id=LNWB1557&WT.srch=1

so does this prove that Lantus is a fraud or is this just standard business practice?

i think that NCAHF is a deliberately ignorant muck raking fraud itself!

that is not to say that Dr. David Williams does not exaggerate his claims to sell his ideas/produces, just like saying that Levemir last 24 hours, many people say that that is bullcrap and they split their dose to cover 24 hours, so is Novo Nordisk a fraud? i think that exaggerated claims are also a standard business practice that we have learned to live with.

and this has got me thinking about why my blood sugar has dropped way low for the last couple of days and i have not needed to use Novolog after meals, reading this i realized that a possible reason is that i got tired of my low calorie diet and bought four 2 liters of Coke Cherry Zero that i have been drinking for these last two days. could it be "good by Glyburide, hello Coke Zero"? i hope not but maybe so.

Just Joking, but maybe not. :p this my "disclaimer" :D

#6 ·
and this has got me thinking about why my blood sugar has dropped way low for the last couple of days and i have not needed to use Novolog after meals, reading this i realized that a possible reason is that i got tired of my low calorie diet and bought four 2 liters of Coke Cherry Zero that i have been drinking for these last two days. could it be "good by Glyburide, hello Coke Zero"? i hope not but maybe so.

Just Joking, but maybe not. :p this my "disclaimer" :D
Oh geez - you're back to being our REAL "COLA Jim"!!! :D :D :D

#5 ·
I like Walmart's sugar free lemonade. It contains aspartame and sucralose. I took my bg on an empty stomach, then drank an 8 oz. glass of lemonade, then took my bg again an hour later and it fell 2 points. I know meters aren't all that accurate, but it told me that aspertame and sucralose don't raise my bg.

#16 ·
I've looked at them a couple times...are they good?

#9 ·
Hey, here you go:

Br J Nutr. 2011 May;105(9):1320-8. Epub 2011 Jan 24.
Effects of carbohydrate sugars and artificial sweeteners on appetite and the secretion of gastrointestinal satiety peptides.
Steinert RE, Frey F, Töpfer A, Drewe J, Beglinger C.
Source

Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Biomedicine, Clinical Research Center, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland. robert.steinert@unibas.ch
Abstract

In vitro, both carbohydrate sugars and artificial sweeteners (AS) stimulate the secretion of glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1). It has been suggested that the gut tastes sugars and AS through the same mechanisms as the tongue, with potential effects on gut hormone release. We investigated whether the human gut responds in the same way to AS and carbohydrate sugars, which are perceived by lingual taste as equisweet. We focused on the secretion of gastrointestinal (GI) satiety peptides in relation to appetite perception. We performed a placebo-controlled, double-blind, six-way, cross-over trial including twelve healthy subjects. On separate days, each subject received an intragastric infusion of glucose, fructose or an AS (aspartame, acesulfame K and sucralose) dissolved in 250 ml of water or water only (control). In a second part, four subjects received an intragastric infusion of the non-sweet, non-metabolisable sugar analogue 2-deoxy-d-glucose. Glucose stimulated GLP-1 (P = 0·002) and peptide tyrosine tyrosine (PYY; P = 0·046) secretion and reduced fasting plasma ghrelin (P = 0·046), whereas fructose was less effective. Both carbohydrate sugars increased satiety and fullness (albeit not significantly) compared with water. In contrast, equisweet loads of AS did not affect gastrointestinal peptide secretion with minimal effects on appetite. 2-Deoxy-d-glucose increased hunger ratings, however, with no effects on GLP-1, PYY or ghrelin. Our data demonstrate that the secretion of GLP-1, PYY and ghrelin depends on more than the detection of (1) sweetness or (2) the structural analogy to glucose.

#10 ·
I have used all sorts of artificial sweetners and have never seen a spike from the sweetner. I think sometimes people will eat a baked good made from flour and a sweetner and blame the bg rise on the sweetner not the flour. Now some people may have an adverse reaction to the sweetner that causes inflammation that may account for the spike. But for the majority of us, these artificial sweetners are fine. I have also heard they cause you to eat more and gain weight. I have lost tons of weight using them.

Reactions: Gizmo
#12 ·
I think sometimes people will eat a baked good made from flour and a sweetner and blame the bg rise on the sweetner not the flour.
This has been my suspicion all along, that there are other factors influencing the bg, but the artificial sweetener gets the blame. I know we are all different, but I can't see an artificial sweetener spiking some and not others.

#13 ·
I thought the OP was about a sweet taste in the mouth raising INSULIN not BGs?

Reactions: Shanny
#14 ·
I'm confused every time this issue comes up. If it were true that artificial sweeteners triggered an insulin response (which it would appear it isn't in any case), why would that be a bad thing? I'm all for minimizing insulin (along with glucose), but if an AS - which clearly contributes nothing to glucose - were to trigger a minor insulin response wouldn't that just IMPROVE the serum glucose numbers that we all rely on?

Anyway, I far prefer stevia and recently found the KAL brand which I think has done the best job of extracting the sweetener some kind of way which has no strange after-taste as long as you don't use it to excess. No weird chemicals as "filler" just the real, natural product. Can't argue with that.

#21 · (Edited)
I'm confused every time this issue comes up. If it were true that artificial sweeteners triggered an insulin response (which it would appear it isn't in any case), why would that be a bad thing? I'm all for minimizing insulin (along with glucose), but if an AS - which clearly contributes nothing to glucose - were to trigger a minor insulin response wouldn't that just IMPROVE the serum glucose numbers that we all rely on?
Just a question, if artificial sweeteners raise insulin levels I assume this hypotheses can be tested by drinking a glass of water sweetened by artificial means. If this causes my insulin to rise then surely my BG must take a serious drop?
These would make sense... assuming that you have remaining Insulin capacity (first phase and/or second phase) to both raise Insulin levels and to overcome any Insulin Resistance AND assuming that the only hormone associated with digestion and metabolism is insulin... if only it were that simple :)

IIRC the Nurses's study showed a correlation between drinking diet soda and increased appetite at subsequent meals. Obviously not proof of causation but it makes me wonder if the effect of increased insulin might possibly lead to increased hunger?

#17 ·
Diet soda is my last vice really, and I'm not giving it up until I know for sure it's going to take 20 years off my life or give me horrible brain cancer.

Everything these days is going to kill us... I eat the best I can, even buying grass fed beef, wild caught fish, organic chicken, local farm fresh eggs... but I need my diet soda. I've tried for years and years to break the habit, but there's just no substitute for me.

I can see that it may trigger an insulin response, but isn't it true everything we put in our mouths triggers an insulin response? I guess the issue would be drinking diet soda all day long would be making your pancreas work constantly at pumping out the insulin. But if you have a glass with dinner, well you're going to be pumping out insulin anyway. So like everything - in moderation. I generally have two glasses in the morning, one with lunch and one with dinner. More than I should have, probably, but that's just the way it is. Coke Zero is to me, what coffee is to most of America...LOL

#19 ·
Shanny said:
Really good! I need to check Walmart's price, because they're $3.99 at our local grocery & that's a little steep.
I think it's about the same. I drink the hawaiian punch drink mixes cause they are made with splenda and $1.00

Reactions: Shanny
#20 ·
I have never had a spike with any artificial sweeteners....nor have I with stevia...I *weeps* cannot eat cream cheese of any kind as it spikes me...as with any other food I eat to my meter...lol I wish I could pick which ones I could have...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.