The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This must be somewhere on the site or the wide web world. But so far, my quest has confounded my Google-fu.

I find great low-carb recipes ... but all too often, they call for a sweetener I don't have, can't find or can't stand.

Anybody know of a site or book that gives equivalents between all the different Splendas/stevia/erythritol, etc.?

Any wisdom will be warmly appreciated!

(I know all sweeteners should be approached sparingly and with caution. This is for the occasional treat.)

·
Registered
741 Posts
ok I stole this from here

1 cup Sugar
1 cup Sucralose
24 packets Stevia Blend
12 tsp. Spoonable Stevia Blend
2.5 tsp. Stevia Extract Liquid
1.5 tsp. PURE Stevia Extract Powder

NOTE: Not all Stevia Extract Powders are pure. Look for a 28 mg serving size or thereabouts... If the serving size is significantly larger, the Stevia isn't pure.

she says it's from a copy of "Sugar-Free Cooking with Stevia" (The book the FDA wanted burned)

From recipes I've seen people tend to mix erythritol and another sweetener together...I think it's because of the price...

We could start putting together a list I have many recipes with different sweeteners...we could start collating :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I do a lot of low carb baking and I find it is trial and error. If I am using erythitol I usually cut the amount to 1/3 - 1/2 cup for every cup of sugar called for. If I am using something like Torani or Davinci syrup I usually use 1/2 cup for every cup. If I am using Stevia I will use a combo of part Erythitol and about 8 packets of stevia. Make sure you read the label on the Stevia. I bought Raw Stevia once and then realised the first ingredient was dextrose. For baking I do like Erythitol. Although it does have carbs they don't spike me. So as in everything else all carbs are not created equal.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yes, I tend to mix erythritol and Splenda syrup, or Truvia and Splenda syrup. It cuts the not-quite-sugar aftertastes of them both.

I just sort of developed a "gut" for it -- by guess and by golly. I also use only HALF the sweetening power called for in most recipes -- and am perfectly happy with the results of that! So if a recipe calls for 1 c sugar i use 1/4 c Erthyritol + 1 - 2 TBS Splenda syrup.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I really don't like very sweet foods so I tend to use much less sweetener...I think my taste buds are so sensitised that I can even taste the sweetness in cream...

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, All!

I'm tacking that list to the fridge. And yeah, I can definitely taste more of the natural sweetness in foods than I could pre-D, so less is definitely more.

I really like the idea of erythritol and Splenda cancelling out each other's weirdnesses.

Nope, all carbs aren't created equal. I've been able to add a leet-tle dab of honey to big dollops of melted butter without ill effect! That's maaaayyyybe a once-a-month thing; works great in flax porridge.

Most of the time, I don't have a sweet tooth at all. But when it does arise, it's sword-sharp!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't remember where I found it, and I'm not great on measuring, but roughly:

3 tblsp. flaxseed meal
1 to 1-1/2 tblsp. almond flour
a scattering of chopped walnuts (optional, will add a coupla carbs)

Mix together in cereal bowl. Pour on hot water, just to cover. Cover with saran wrap and let it steam 2-3 minutes. Flaxseed meal will swell some, and soften. If it's too liquid or cools too fast, microwave for a minute or so.

Then you can add butter and/or cream, cinnamon/whatever and sweetener to taste.

I'd also recommend glucose testing with this dish. Nuts sometimes bite me, for instance. But flaxseed meal by itself is too ... I don't quite know what ... for my taste.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts