The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my first order from Netrition today, and want to make a batch of cookies tomorrow, but my recipe calls for 1/2 cup sugar. All I have is the tiny Splenda packets. I looked online and the Splenda you bake with is half sugar, so that is out. Is there a sweetener I can buy at Walmart that is no-carb or low-carb that is suitable for baking, or will I have to make another order to Netrition? :frusty:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
For baking cookies, I have experimented with all the sweetners. Some work and some don't. I find the best texture comes when I use Erythitiol and stevia. I never use as much as the recipe calls for. I cut it by at least 1/2 if not more. I never use it cup for cup. Even though the Erythitol has carbs it does not raise my bgs at all. This is why you have to experiment. Some sweetners shouldn't be used for baking.

I cup of gradular splenda = 24 packets

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I made the cookies, they have an unusual 'twang' to them, but are edible. It obviously takes some skill to turn a regular baking recipe into diabetic. From now on I'll stick to the baking recipes that have been submitted here.

I used Stevia, and am sure glad I was pre-warned about only using half or less sweetener, or I would have had to pitch them. Thanks, jwags.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I find if you use too much stevia you do get an aftertaste. That is why I like to mix it with another sweetner. If a recipe calls for 1 cup of sweetner, I usually will put in 1/4 cup of Erythitol and about 6 packets of stevia. I also throw in unsweet coconut in a lot of my recipes and it gives a nice sweetness that is more natural. Sometimes I use those Davinci syrups for part of my sweetner along with splenda or erythitol. Another good trick for cookies is before you bake them roll in a little splenda and cinnamon and then flatten on baking sheet. This way the sweetness is on the outside. Low carb baking is a lot of trial and error. I have had a lot of errors.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am a huge fan of Stevia...but you need to cut the amount WAY down from the amount of sugar that's called for. For instance I use 1/2 teaspoon for a gallon of unsweet tea & before D's I used 1 cup of sugar!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I received my first order from Netrition today, and want to make a batch of cookies tomorrow, but my recipe calls for 1/2 cup sugar. All I have is the tiny Splenda packets. I looked online and the Splenda you bake with is half sugar, so that is out. Is there a sweetener I can buy at Walmart that is no-carb or low-carb that is suitable for baking, or will I have to make another order to Netrition? :frusty:

If you bake it with a sweetener it will change the taste of your final product. Try baking it with real sugar, just LESS sugar than what the recipe calls for. Remember the body still needs to intake sugars and if you watch what u eat the rest of the time, then it's ok to bake this with a bit of sugar.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you bake it with a sweetener it will change the taste of your final product. Try baking it with real sugar, just LESS sugar than what the recipe calls for. Remember the body still needs to intake sugars and if you watch what u eat the rest of the time, then it's ok to bake this with a bit of sugar.
I take strong exception to this, Rocky. Do you do a lot of baking? Our bodies - especially diabetic bodies - do NOT need to intake sugar. Whatever glucose is needed to fuel our cells, our livers can make the conversion from dietary protein by the process of gluconeogenesis.

Many of us have experimented with many zero-carb sweeteners, and we've even come up with some acceptable combinations of sweeteners which do not elevate our blood sugars.

We want to welcome you to our support group, and we hope you'll actually tell us more about YOURSELF and what your own levels look like. Have you had an A1c recently? Are you on meds/MDI/pump?

·
Registered
62 Posts
For baking cookies, I have experimented with all the sweetners. Some work and some don't. I find the best texture comes when I use Erythitiol and stevia. I never use as much as the recipe calls for. I cut it by at least 1/2 if not more. I never use it cup for cup. Even though the Erythitol has carbs it does not raise my bgs at all. This is why you have to experiment. Some sweetners shouldn't be used for baking.

I cup of gradular splenda = 24 packets
Ok. So I should keep more than one kind of sweetener around? And what is Erythitol? Where do you get it?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I get my granulated erythritol online at either Netrition.com or Amazon.

I also keep liquid sucralose (Splenda), granulated xylitol (Ideal no-calorie brown sweetener, but this also has maltodextrin & molasses, so only used when I really need a brown sugar effect), and plain old liquid saccharine. I keep a lot of granulated sucralose too, since my everlovin' has been using it far longer than I've been diabetic.

The liquid versions are less likely to spike since they don't have the fillers added - fillers like maltodextrin, which CAN cause spikes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I get my granulated erythritol online at either Netrition.com or Amazon.

I also keep liquid sucralose (Splenda), granulated xylitol (Ideal no-calorie brown sweetener, but this also has maltodextrin & molasses, so only used when I really need a brown sugar effect), and plain old liquid saccharine. I keep a lot of granulated sucralose too, since my everlovin' has been using it far longer than I've been diabetic.

The liquid versions are less likely to spike since they don't have the fillers added - fillers like maltodextrin, which CAN cause spikes.
I don't think I've ever even realized there are liquid sweeteners. I guess I'll have to slow down and really look at them next time I go grocery shopping.

·
Registered
62 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts