The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out what's going on with me. I've now tried my ice cream recipe with first, a mix of sweeteners and now, today with only Truvia and both batches tasted too sweet to me. I thought today I'd beaten it by tasting and then adding sparingly with the Truvia, but it still is too sweet for me...altho' no aftertaste to speak of but it tasted sweeter when frozen. I've never had a big sweet tooth but I find I still crave something protein after eating some of it. Does anyone else have this problem and if so, how do you solve it? Do I just keep backing down the sweetener or is there something I'm missing about sweeteners?

About the only sweet I used regularly was one real Coke a day and usually didn't drink a whole can and I only liked it because it wasn't as sweet to my taste buds as Pepsi...I always could tell the difference on their tests. I've never been a big dessert person, but could always find room for a custard...but, usually shared one.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I have the same trouble & my solution is just to keep backing off on the amount of sweetener . . . if I use anywhere NEAR the recommended amount, whatever the dish is ridiculously sweet.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Shanny. That's what I thought today, so guess I'll have to leave it slightly not sweet...something about the freezing made it taste sweeter I think. Or maybe the sweetener? I only used a t. of it and then just a tiny bit more after I tasted. Maybe Truvia is sweeter than I think. I only use 1 tablet of Assugrin in my coffee, I guess I just don't really like sweet.

I do love breads, tho', but mostly the savory ones.

Oh, well,

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I use EZ-Sweetz liquid sucralose, which advises that four drops = 1/4 cup sugar. No way José! More like TWO! Or my sweet tooth has rotted out! :eek:

·
Registered
741 Posts
*nods* I have to agree...I find now after years of not using sugar I can even taste the lactose in cream...I find I need a tiny amount of any sweetener...I've tested ice cream I made on non diabetics and they said it tasted not too sweet lol I think that was English...too many double negatives lol

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I find since low carbing that my taste buds have changed. Even many things with artificial sweetners seem way too sweet for me. When altering a recipe to make it low carb, I usually cut the sweetner by half if not more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You need to go and research the side effects of these sweeteners. I know there great for no carbs and stuff but most if not all have horriable heath risk down the road( and like we need more health problems).

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a very good idea for those who use much of them, but I have such a small sweet tooth that taste is the only issue important for me. I did give a bit of my ice cream to a friend today and he loved it, but could taste the cream on his tongue and he's a calorie dieter, but he did say if I had not told him about the recipe, he would have wanted his own gallon of it, by himself...he tasted no artificial sweetener, and judged it just fine. I'm now wondering if a tiny bit of salt wouldn't be good.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I add a pinch of salt to EVERYTHING - even a pot of coffee. Not for any salty taste, because it isn't noticable - it just pops the flavors.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My thought exactly, Shanny. I eat low salt, but a touch adds so much to it. I want to master a really good vanilla one and then develop other flavors before my g'children begin arriving. It's such fun to have and make, as well as eat!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use Natvia sweetener in all my recipes. It just tastes like sugar but it is a lot less on calories and it is all natural. I love it so far.

·
Registered
741 Posts
lol Pat I have the same problem...I made ice cream that was so sweet I spat it out...I gave it to a friend with a sweet tooth and he thought it was perfect...too funny...I gave him the rest...that was made with liquid sucralose...

I use real vanilla essence in my ice cream and very little sweetener (stevia in a crystal form)...it seems to work fine for me...my daughter says my sweets aren't sweet but they're still yummy....they taste sweet to me...

Like you Pat I don't eat many sweet nor did I before...I usually eat my ice cream (I put into many small containers) with microwaved rhubarb...its a sweet and sour treat lol...I like the sourness of the rhubarb with the creaminess of the ice cream...and no one likes rhubarb so its all mineeeeeeeeeeeeeee

G

·
I use Natvia sweetener in all my recipes. It just tastes like sugar but it is a lot less on calories and it is all natural. I love it so far.
I am trying to get hold of a sweetner /sugar mainly for cooking but also for when the kids come over, someone went to the city to health shop and all stated laxative effect.2 of the boys have 3_4 teaspoons of sugar in their tea or coffee and I am trying to stop them.I bought canderal but just ended up buying loo rolls by pks of 12. The shop did not stock erythinol I think it was any other suggestions please for UK market.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Try Truvia - it is erythritol and stevia and you can get it in all the main uk supermarkets - tesco, morrisons, asda, sainsburys etc.

G

·
Try Truvia - it is erythritol and stevia and you can get it in all the main uk supermarkets - tesco, morrisons, asda, sainsburys etc.
Thank you for that I will ask my daughter in law as she lives 7 miles away nor the shops our tesco is only a convenience store so only stock minimal items .I do wish I could go would love to see decent shops again.or perhaps I could try the internet.

G

·
Thank you for that I will ask my daughter in law as she lives 7 miles away nor the shops our tesco is only a convenience store so only stock minimal items .I do wish I could go would love to see decent shops again.or perhaps I could try the internet.
She is working overtime for next 2 wks but found some on e bay at £5.99 but only sachets but that will do for moment thankyou

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Clever thinking, also amazon or low carb megastore might be good for buying it online.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No sweeteners for me, anymore. They just make me hungrier. . I avoid all sweets except on special occasions and just cover with my rapid, accordingly. It's really not worth it and when you stay away from it, you don't miss it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts