The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As most of you have heard, the Swine Flu is non-containable and has spread to other countries outside of North America..

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/27/swine.flu/index.html

Two of our Friends who just arrived back from Cancun Mexico have symptoms and are presently in quarantine. We of course, pray that they will be okay after treatment.

We are going to:

1. Get some extra supplies
2. Wash our hands and/or use hand sanitizer frequently
3. Not go into crowded areas(except for my Hubby who works away from home)
4. Purchase N95 masks
5. Not travel to affected areas
6. Cough or sneeze into a kleenex
7. Not kiss anyone on the lips
8. Not shake hands
9. Stay home if we have a cough or temperature
10. Contact Dr. if fever occurs

**The web is already flooded with People who are selling fake drugs for this Flu.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I work in a hospital and the CDC and WHO are saying yes, this flu is spreading but it is no more dangerous than the flu's we already have going around. We test for TypeA and TypeB flu here where I work. The Swine Flu is a form of the TypeA flu which DOES respond to Tamiflu and that other flu medicine that starts with an 'R'. :rolleyes:
TypeB flu you just have to ride it out.
Now, I'm not saying it's okay to be careless with your health, but I hope people aren't going to panic over this Swine Flu. I know as diabetics we are more seriously affected. Take precautions but don't flip out over this, either. I wish everyone the best of health!!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Ruby:

Not to worry. I rarely flip out. We just like to be prepared. ;)

Yes, the Tamiflu is working Well as treatment for the virus so far which is Great. It is a matter of time before the virus becomes resistant to the Tamiflu and the other Flu medication Relenza.

There is a Good chance that the Swine Flu will die out before it becomes resistant to these medications. It did die out in a different year.

There is nothing to panic about. Good health to all.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes, I agree there is nothing to panic about. I don't understand why the media is making it sound like the Plague. I mean, yes, we all need to be informed so we can take steps to keep ourselves healthy but the media is blowing this way out of proportion, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I agree there is nothing to panic about. I don't understand why the media is making it sound like the Plague. I mean, yes, we all need to be informed so we can take steps to keep ourselves healthy but the media is blowing this way out of proportion, in my opinion.
That's what the media gets paid big bucks for. Give them a snowflake and they'll make it into an avalanche. Which is more interesting?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, our Friend Marc is out of quarantine and back to work. He thankfully doesn't have the H1N1 Flu(formerly known as the Swine Flu). He has Asthma and while on their Honeymoon in Cancun picked up another type of virus which caused him to get a fever, a cough and lung inflammation.

He made it onto the front page of one of our newspapers, so that will be an interesting addition when their future Kids read about their Parents Honeymoon vacation of 2009. :D

Good point, Terrie. As usual, you are right. :D
Hmmmm.....I'll just take that as a sassy remark Ruby. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just pray that the "oh don't worry about it" mentality of our Canadian government doesn't cost too many lives when the virus evolves & mutates.

They said (in media articles, forget which ones) that the 1918 flu was not lethal until round 3 when it wiped out so many millions of people.

We're only in round 1...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, all Governments are trying not to push the panic button. It has been on the news that if the Flu does not progress significantly then it will hit much harder in the Fall or next Spring.

Other than telling everyone to run for their lives, hide under their beds with a bag over their heads, what else are they supposed to say? They have given plenty of info on how People are to prepare themselves and their Families in case of a major outbreak. Also on how not to catch the Flu or spread it, if they do become infected. Too many People unfortunately, think it won't happen to them and prefer not to follow safety procedures. I understand your feelings.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ah, a, hachoo!!! *Grabs the Kleeannex box* I haven't had the flu shot here, Yet. :rolleyes: and it's spring here and pollen is everywhere. My nose is running like the backyard tap. :( Yeah I know, Not good huh.

But me should be worried?? Umm.... No. I think that the media is just kicking up a fuss because everyone knows that flu is experienced buy everyone and with that experience would make people worried that they may catch it. Anyway I am enjoying spring. Not!!! :(

·
Registered
56 Posts
We had a supposedly healthy 50 year old ship yard worker go from affliction to death in 48 hours. Organ failure, severe infection of the lungs....

We can't even get the basic flu shots, worried like hell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts