The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Cheryl and i'm new to the forum. I was diagnosed with Type 1 when I was 40 years old. I'm on a medtronic insulin pump. I am frustrated by the weight gain since going on insulin. Since going on insulin I have gained 25 pounds and as i'm sure you can understand, its very frustrating and disheartening. My doctor has suggested starting me on Symilin and i'm wondering if anyone out there is familiar with this medication, and any possible side effects. From what I understand, it can cut down your insulin use by half. Thoughts and concerns???

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Cheryl, welcome to Diabetes Forum! Symlin can help reduce weight, I have read that on several diabetes forums. I'm not sure it will cut your insulin dosage in half, I've never heard that. Maybe it did for one individual but probably not for everyone.

I have been Type 1 for 64 years and I am very healthy. I did gain weight in the 1900's because of the amount of insulin I was using. That caused me to develop insulin resistance, a Type 2 symptom. That made me a "double diabetic". I take a Type 2 med for my insulin resistance and i use insulin in a Minimed pump, like you. In order to lose weight I reduced my daily carb intake to 130g and I exercise at least an hour each day. I also avoided food with high fat content. I lost a little more than half of my weight gain that way. I have lost 5 inches in my waist. I know some Type 2 diabetics who have cut their carb intake to less than 100 grams per day. They have lost much weight that way. Good luck to you! Ask all the questions you want.

Richard

·
Registered
633 Posts
HI,
Yes I have taken symilin and I wish that I could still take it. It was the one thing that really helped with post meal spikes. Make sure to check with your insurance and make sure they cover it. If they dont cover it you nay not be able to afford it. My insurance decided that it was not a prefered drug and would only cover 20% of the cost which made my out of pocket $300.00 for a months supply.

Some of the side effects are nausia and loss of appetite.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome aboard i am Martina from British Columbia Canada, i am a Type 2 diabetic since July 2005 i am on insulin and pills

1 - 4 of 4 Posts