The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone taking it or have any knowledge of it? I am thinking of asking my endo about trying it. My TD insulin usage is creeping up and I have been gaining weight. At first I attributed the weight gain to the fact I stopped smoking a few months ago...but thats not it. I have heard some good things about it but would love to hear someone's personal perspective if anyone has tried it! Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
smoking and weight gain

Anyone taking it or have any knowledge of it? I am thinking of asking my endo about trying it. My TD insulin usage is creeping up and I have been gaining weight. At first I attributed the weight gain to the fact I stopped smoking a few months ago...but thats not it. I have heard some good things about it but would love to hear someone's personal perspective if anyone has tried it! Thanks!
I understand that smoking increases your blood glucose levels becuase most tobacco is sugar cured. If you go drink a glass of fresh juice whenever you feel hungry that satisfies the need instead of reaching for a cig. hope this helps

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that smoking increases your blood glucose levels becuase most tobacco is sugar cured. If you go drink a glass of fresh juice whenever you feel hungry that satisfies the need instead of reaching for a cig. hope this helps
Thanks for that...I actually successfully quit smoking several months ago now. I never have cravings for it anymore. It was tough...but the right thing to do. Smoking while you are diabetic increases your chances of heart disease even more. Nasty business.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Pam, I took Symlin for several years. It did help me lose weight, however I had nausea with it that just never seemed to go away. My CDE said most people get past the nausea in the first several weeks. I am overly sensitive to other meds also, so maybe there is something in it that my body doesn't like. Symlin definitely lowers the post meal spikes which is one thing I definitely liked about it.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pam, I took Symlin for several years. It did help me lose weight, however I had nausea with it that just never seemed to go away. My CDE said most people get past the nausea in the first several weeks. I am overly sensitive to other meds also, so maybe there is something in it that my body doesn't like. Symlin definitely lowers the post meal spikes which is one thing I definitely liked about it.
That is what I wanted to know thanks :) I think I might ask about it. Does it come in a pen...and do you have to keep it cold? Do you have to take it before every meal or a couple of times a day? Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Pam - Yes it does come in a pen, in fact I don't think the vial of Symlin is available any longer. Once you start using the pen it doesn't have to be refrigerated. Once 'opened' the pen is good for 28 days I think. I used my Symlin before every meal, your doctor may have other suggestions. This is a good article about Symlin by Gary Scheiner. Strike the Spike II (Page 1) :: Diabetes Self-Management

Hope this helps you. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
symlin

I have been using symlin for 3 months now and I like it. I am type 1 and not overweight but I did lose about 5 pounds. I am not complaining about that. I am hoping to keep the peaks down. I think it does that but I have a peak 2 hours later. I will se if this changes my overall A1c.
Maureen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts