The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any experience with symlin. i have been reading about it mainly on the website. it sounds like it can help my problems, i cant get rid of this hunger. i wake up hungry, 30 minutes after i eat i am hungry again. i find myself eating on things like sunflower seeds or cheeses and such with low carbs, but now im gaining weight like crazy my numbers are crazy. i need help.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I just started symlin thursday, so far my numbers are slightly down, still not what they should be. I've noticed I am feeling fuller alot quicker, but it still isn't lasting long.i hope that once my dose increases it will last longer

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I am curious about Symlin, too.

Was it expensive for you to try?
The expense of Symlin mostly depends on whether or not your insurance covers the cost. Unfortunately when I was using it my insurance decided it was a tier 4 drug. My cost was just too high so I quit the drug. I also had the ongoing nausea which for me did not go away even when I reduced the dose. It did make me feel full longer however. Plus I didn't like the 3 extra "jabs" per day.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just increased my dose to 45 today, the fullness does seem to be lasting longer, im not eating near as much, mainly protein, ive slowly and carefully increased my novolog and yet my numbers are still horrible.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
i just increased my dose to 45 today, the fullness does seem to be lasting longer, im not eating near as much, mainly protein, ive slowly and carefully increased my novolog and yet my numbers are still horrible.
If you are eating mostly protein, I believe this will add weight. You must use good fat as your highest intake, then protein, then some carb. I would find what your ratio should be with your combination. I noticed I have much better numbers when my protein isn't very high and I add just a little bit of carb (such as a low carb multi grain wrap). I ate a wrap with chicken breast lunch meat, american cheese, and guacamole yesterday for lunch. Because of the guacamole being more than the lunch meat, cheese, or wrap, my 2-hour number was 94. I am finally beginning to see that the fat is truly what keeps the numbers down. I just need to learn how to incorporate more fat than anything else in my meal plans.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Are you saying the guacamole was higher carb than anything else? That's weird! Was it something you purchased that may have had carby fillers? My homemade guac is 5g fat, 4g carb & 3g fiber - that's for 1/4 cup.

I ate a wrap with chicken breast lunch meat, american cheese, and guacamole yesterday for lunch. Because of the guacamole being more than the lunch meat, cheese, or wrap, my 2-hour number was 94.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
No no Shanny, what I was saying was BECAUSE the majority of my wrap had guacamole in it, my bg's were really great! The guacamole, because it is made from avocadoes, which are high fat but good fat, the whole wrap did not send my numbers skyrocketing. The combination of what I ate in that wrap was a definite good one for my system. Did I state it wrong? Sorry. Just meant because I included the majority of the wrap to be good fat, lower protein and lower carb, it kept my bg's at an excellent level.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I don't know what's going on, I'm eating less, my insulin is creeping up, hell I'm even taking shots of fast actingwhen my numbers are high won't eat and my sugar still won't go down
your sugar is not going down when you take fast acting insulin and not eating because it is probably dropping your bg, but your liver kicks in and releases glucose (it does this as a survival response; called a "liver dump"). The worst thing you can do is take your insulin and not eat anything. Your system needs the right combination of food in order to process properly, or work its magic. If you have not done so, please check out Jenny Ruhl's "blood sugar 101" website and read. This is the absolute best website to learn all about what is going on with your body and diabetes. Good Luck.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Okay - I get it . . . doh! :rolleyes: Foggy brain! The AMOUNT of guacamole was more than the amount of meat, cheese & wrapper.

I couldn't get what you were saying, because I KNOW about guacamole - it's my go-to meal. I even eat it for breakfast!

Sorry for the confusion, Renee.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Okay - I get it . . . doh! :rolleyes: Foggy brain! The AMOUNT of guacamole was more than the amount of meat, cheese & wrapper.

I couldn't get what you were saying, because I KNOW about guacamole - it's my go-to meal. I even eat it for breakfast!

Sorry for the confusion, Renee.
No prob Shanny! I have that problem myself today! I HATE Foggy Brain Syndrome...weather is changing here...may get some snow in the next day or two. But yesterday was in the 70's. I hate these weather changes this time of year because it really messes with my system!

·
Registered
12 Posts
The expense of Symlin mostly depends on whether or not your insurance covers the cost. Unfortunately when I was using it my insurance decided it was a tier 4 drug. My cost was just too high so I quit the drug. I also had the ongoing nausea which for me did not go away even when I reduced the dose. It did make me feel full longer however. Plus I didn't like the 3 extra "jabs" per day.
I have been taking symlin since April 2011. I went from the 15mcg to 60mcg three times a day and stayed there. Now I wonder if it is still so effective. It is keeping my weight down and I even think I eat more but I am not snacking. That was my downfall. I am also not hungry in between meals. I sometimes have to remind myself to eat lunch. I am type 1 on the MM revel with CGMS. I still like it and don't feel at all nauseated. I love the fact that the BG doesn't peak after eating. I have the alarm on my pump set for 1 1/2 hours after eating to give the rest of the bolus. I give only 1/2 with the symlin. Hba1c is now 6.2.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been using symlin for 2 years. Your usage seems to go up as your body gets used to it. I am now using 120 mcg with each meal. I started at 15. It does stop the hunger and delays the digestion. Your BG won't go up for 2 hours. I like that. Sometimes I forget to bolus 2 hours later and I end up high st night. Now I set an alsarm, and I use the CGMS so I know when I am going high without the finger sticks. Symlin is hard to use without the CGMS because you can go low fast in the beginning. I once increased the amount while traveling and had to end up using my glucagon pen to avoid the 911 call. I didn't eat enough for the larger amount of symlin.
MH

1 - 19 of 19 Posts