The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I would like some input to see if this could be a sign of diabetes.

I am overweight, appox 235 pds 5' 10". I have been on a balanced vegetarian diet eating 2400 to 2800 calories a day, and have shed some weight slowly over about a year. Not dieting, just eating right.

I do not exercise regularly, but do work vigorously cutting and chopping wood in the Spring, Winter and Fall, and when Ido, I see instant results in increasing stamina, etc. I count that as excersise, usually 45 min to an hour a day 5 days a week. I do work up a healthy sweat etc. I do nothing else excersise-wise.

I have noticed this year that at times when I have been working and expending energy in this way, I get a feeling of overall weakness, verging on dizzyness. I have no shortness of breath or chest pains or anything, so I believe I can rule out circulatory causes.

When this happens, which is increaing in frequency to the point that if I really push myself working, to the point where I am sweating and huffing and puffing like someone who just finished jogging, it will happen almost everytime.

When this happens, I go into my house, grab a hard candy, or even a teaspoon of suger and consume it as I rest sitting down, feeling weak, almost faint. The symptons pass in ten minutes or less of resting.

I have no idea if it goes away because I am resting, or because of the sugar. The sugar may have nothing at to do with it.

I live alone deep in the mountains, and see no people for weeks at a time, so I take the sugar just in case, as I don't want to pass out away from medical attention and with no one to even know I have.

I have no other symptoms on the list. Does this fall under the fatigue symptom? If you have diabetes, what does it feel like when you are very low on blood sugar? Will hard work, burning a bunch of calories, using up what food energy you have consumed that day lower your blood sugar?

Thanks for reading all that.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Are you staying hydrated, Crassius? That's always been a big issue with my resident woodchopper here.

No other symptoms like increased thirst, increased urination, weight loss or blurry vision?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the come back... no other symptoms or health issues at all. And yest I stay very well hydrated on suger free tea and water.

Maybe I should add... I never eat suger in my diet. I don't eat any sweets at all.... I would eat them all up if I had them in the house, so I never buy any.... sometimes I'll buy a bag of hard candy just for these episodes, but I eat em all up in a matter of days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
symptoms numbness

Hi, i am 59 not taking medicines regularly, vegetarian, no exercise, i feel numbness in my left leg small & next fingers also i have pain in left leg- kindly send medical advice tan Q

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome to our forum, but we cannot give medical advice. The best we can do is relate what has worked for us in managing our diabetes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts