The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any symptoms that any of you remember when you started LCHF? Ever since I found out I'm diabetic, my appetite has decreased and I've been having GI issues almost daily. I wonder if it's just stress.

Also, how long did it take after starting LCHF to see better BG numbers? My AM fasting numbers are still in the 150's... thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi, took me about a week or two to see BG results coming down, but rise halted almost straight away once I had the LCHF sorted.
The best thing I remember when starting is the shocked and misbelieving looks on the faces of those around me who didn't think this WOE could possibly be good for me. I didn't have too many distressing symptoms that I can remember, just feeling good about myself made it all worthwhile.
just remember everyone is different and your results will not be the same as mine or anybody else's, but you will be much, much better quickly

·
Registered
970 Posts
Have you told us about your testing regimen?

Reactions: Staceycfe

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It sounds as though you're on metformin, but you haven't mentioned using any diabetes meds. Metformin often suppresses appetite, and it has a notorious reputation for causing gastric distress.

It took me awhile to get my numbers down because at first my doc had suggested keeping under 100g of carbs per day, and my goal was to get my blood sugar under 140 (7.8). I don't remember how many weeks it took for me to realize these were incompatible objectives, but without even consulting doc, I started reducing my carbs. Again, I don't remember how long it took, but by the time I finally got my blood sugar down to 140, I was eating only 40g of carbs per day.

I was using eat-to-your-meter by then, and doc thought I tested too much and went way too low-carb, but it wasn't very long before he started noticing my dropping numbers. And he begin to understand that the only way to know how specific foods affect blood sugar, is to test twice after every meal.

·
Banned
563 Posts
LCHF will cause flu like symptoms. Mostly achiness, lethargy, headache, etc. make sure you are drinking a LOT of fluid and have plenty of potassium, magnesium, and sodium in your diet. Salty broth is a good remedy for the symptoms, avocado provides potassium, and leafy greens for the magnesium.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
LCHF will cause flu like symptoms
... that may last for only a few days into a week.
Didn't want anyone thinking that this was a permanent thing.

I eased into low-carb so I didn't have too many symptoms. My BG wasn't ever all that high (FBG 170 for diagnosis) and by the time I saw the CDE two weeks later, it was 143 in the office. A couple weeks later my BG was consistently below 140.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I used to have fibromyalgia and IBS. Found out I was gluten intolerant and low in magnesium. Stopped eating gluten, supplemented with magnesium and cut out the sugar, and the fibro became a thing of the past. And the IBS, which was actually a reaction to gluten, also cleared up.

LCHF is usually grain-free (unless one uses wheat gluten in baking which I definitely wouldn't do).

Not that your fibro is caused by gluten, but you may find that your symptoms ease up after you've been on LCHF for a while and have stopped eating wheat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used to have fibromyalgia and IBS. Found out I was gluten intolerant and low in magnesium. Stopped eating gluten, supplemented with magnesium and cut out the sugar, and the fibro became a thing of the past. And the IBS, which was actually a reaction to gluten, also cleared up.

LCHF is usually grain-free (unless one uses wheat gluten in baking which I definitely wouldn't do).

Not that your fibro is caused by gluten, but you may find that your symptoms ease up after you've been on LCHF for a while and have stopped eating wheat.
Wow...the fibro itself has cost me so much; I hope I am as fortunate as you to put it in the past

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
If you run an internet search on 'fibromyalgia low carb' or 'fibromyalgia ketosis' you will find lots of anecdotal reports from people who decreased their symptoms by reducing their carb intake. I did a cursory exploration, did not find any scientific studies about this.

If you have time I encourage you to do some of this research.

However, as you read, keep in mind the people reporting are doing what I think of as 'Weight Loss Low Carb'. Which frequently is less - shall we say - structured than 'Diabetic Low Carb'. We eat to our meters to figure out what foods have a negative impact on our bodies. BG testing provides a phenomenal feedback/information mechanism.

Jumping subjects here, a lot (not all) of T2 insulin resistant Diabetics see their FBG follow behind the post-prandial (PP) BG levels. So, FBG remains lower while PP climbs and climbs. Then as PP begins trending down, FBG keeps climbing or remains at a high level for awhile. Gradually, as lower PP is established as the body's norm, FBG begins it's downward slope.

I followed that pattern and have seen it reported anecdotally on lots of Diabetic forums. I found concentrating on PP (and not getting too concerned with FBG while the new norm settles in) was a much calmer and less stressful approach.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had a noticeable drop, I'd say, within 4 - 6 weeks, but possibly sooner.

I basically cut most carbs on Dec. 1, when I got the scary phone call. Then, within a couple weeks, I had read this forum and pretty much dropped the few remaining "hard-core" carbs (pita, quinoa) so all I get is whatever is in the non-starchy foods I eat: veggies, milk in my tea, occasionally a few red or black beans, incidental sugars in sauces at restaurants.

I started testing daily on December 20. My FBGs then were somewhere in the 120s and low 130s, with an occasional reading in the 140s.

By January 5 an 6, my FBGs were in the low 100s. Then they slipped occasionally into the 90s. That seems to be where they are right now and have been relatively stable for a little while - they're falling between 90 and 105ish. (Some fluctuations back up late January - possibly due to hormone fluctuations. I'm watching that.) But the A1c results seem to indicate that despite the mornings being higher, the rest of the day isn't peaking high. There might be some morning dawn phenomenon going on there.

·
Banned
563 Posts
... that may last for only a few days into a week.
Didn't want anyone thinking that this was a permanent thing.

I eased into low-carb so I didn't have too many symptoms. My BG wasn't ever all that high (FBG 170 for diagnosis) and by the time I saw the CDE two weeks later, it was 143 in the office. A couple weeks later my BG was consistently below 140.
Thanks for pointing that out. My experience with "low carb flu" was there were a few days I felt awful and then suddenly I felt GREAT--tons of energy, no discomfort. You have to "get over the hump" and some people give up before they give their body a chance.

OTOH, if your symptoms persist, don't overlook the fact that something else may be going on.

And I've heard great things about LCHF--particularly with grain elimination--working wonders on fibromyalgia. I have a niece who is really suffering from fibro and related auto-immune disorders and she will not try this. :(

In my own case, I suffered from pretty significant global skeletal pain (around 8 on a scale of 10) before LCHF which completely disappeared when I eliminated grain (it was better on LCHF but didn't really disappear until I got all the grain out). I was never diagnosed with fibro, but I had my suspicions it might be that or polymyocitis, which my mom had. Gone! I feel great!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Good morning! I'm coming up on day five since changing my diet to LCHF and my FBS is in between 87-90. This is after being told by the doctor my FSB was 137 at last count which led up to my diagnosis with an A1c of 7.4 My after meal BS has been between 99-104 after one hour. The two hour mark was a few points lower.

One thing I have been doing is keeping a food diary of what I eat. I feel it gives me more information when I look back at what does or doesn't raise my BS. I am practicing "eating to my meter" to figure this whole new world of food out. I would highly recommend you try this. It has given me peace of mind and helped in my LCHF education.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts