The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what symptoms you noticed most with diabetes?

I'm a little nervous I might actually have it; I'm constantly tired, always going to the bathroom (maybe just because i just drink a lot of water though), have sleep apnea, always wake up with a parched mouth, noticed that i'm on/off dizzy etc. I'm trying as best I can to look at the positive side of things; I'm essentially going to be forced into getting that good-looking body that I was too lazy to achieve previously.

At the end of the day, I'm to blame for this situation. If I had not neglected my body for years, I wouldn't be in this spot. I'm sure genetics plays a role, but I certainly didn't help anything by drinking two iced mochas a day (already given them up since) for the past year or so. This whole ordeal is a great wake-up call. I might also be able to feel more human again, hopefully by being more healthy.

Meeting with the doctor tomorrow; think I'm going to be doing a fasting/glucose test. Tested 126 on some sort of test, but I might have skewed the results by drinking a latte and eating a yogurt beforehand. He seemed very concerned I might have it though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Early on, mostly lethargy, especially after a carb heavy meal. Oddly never had a big urge to drink a lot, pee in the middle of the night, etc.

Later down the road, the most notable thing was pain, particularly in my feet, but occasionally elsewhere on random contacts. I’d bump something with my arm for example, and it’d feel like rug burn.

The good news is 126 doesn’t sound outside the realm of normal for a blood glucose test if you had consumed sugary stuff prior to the test. Otherwise it would be at the cutoff between prediabetes and diabetes.

Good luck with your next draw!

·
Super Moderator
9,724 Posts
Hi JohnS.101, welcome to the forum. Sorry for the reason you're here though.

I'm pretty sure I had it a while before I was officially diagnosed. I would tire easily, it would be all I could do to hold my eyes open if there was a meeting to go to after lunch, and it became a habit of falling asleep in the recliner at home, sometimes even before supper. I was having to use the restroom a lot and was drinking lots of water, not sure if the dog was wagging the tail or the tail wagging the dog on that.

I know years before, I used to think I did it to myself because I could drink a 6 pack of cokes in a day and did many. I know others that did as much and crammed in Little Debbies all day long and didn't become diabetic. I wasn't neglecting my body either. I was working out lifting weights 6 days a week, eating salads and tuna fish, and pasta and all the "healthy carbs". I even used a complex carbohydrate drink for energy. I wasn't eating candy, cakes, pies, simple sugars. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't all me though, but it definitely was one of the triggers that set free the beast for me.

My wife had gotten a blood glucose meter from an aunt because she had a couple of times she had a couple of bouts of hypoglycemia and we started to randomly check our BG. I saw high readings after eating certain things, oatmeal would put me over 200 and it was supposed to be good for me.

Your doctor may run a fasting BG on you but will probably want to wait on the results of an A1c test, that is an indication of what your BG has averaged over the last 2-3 months. May even run an OGTT, oral glucose tolerance test, where you drink a prepared glucose solution and test you BG every 30 minutes for a couple of hours.

There may be other causes to your symptoms but I would recommend getting yourself a BG meter and start testing yourself. Not randomly though, before eating, an hour after your first bite and then again an hour after that. BG typically is highest about an hour after eating and should get back down to your pre-meal level by the second hour. That will usually tell the tale before fasting and A1c tests.

Good luck at your doctors tomorrow, let us know the results.

Reactions: itissteve

·
Super Moderator
1,940 Posts
I think the symptom I noticed most was in retrospect. About 15 years ago I used to be on a pretty stressful job/work schedule. I'd leave work on Friday night, stop by a local pizzeria for a couple of slices to take out and a cold beer, sit on my couch, eat, and almost invariably could not keep my eyes open past 8-9 o'clock. A few years after that my doctor informed me I was diabetic. None of the other "classic" symptoms.

I look back at that carb load now and it's probably a couple of week's worth of carbohydrates on my current eating plan. I don't fall asleep after big meals now. Not thrilled to be diabetic, but it was a wakeup call for me.

Good luck on the tests!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey everyone,

Thank you so much. Luckily, the doctor didn't seem too concerned with the high glucose because I had eaten cereal and drank a mocha latte 20 minutes before the test. He did numerous test with the blood/urine work and didn't find anything else related to kidney function etc. I imagine diabetes raises other red flags beyond blood glucose (mine was like 155), which is why he wasn't concerned.

The scare did teach me that I really need to eat healthier though. I'm no longer drinking those 2 iced mochas daily anymore. I've switched to black coffee - nitro brewed. Also, I plan to get bloodwork yearly from now on; it's been a decade since I've gotten it done prior.

·
Super Moderator
9,724 Posts
I'm not sure what diabetes does besides causing the loss of ones ability to regulate ones own BG levels at safe levels. I do know the loss of regulation, resulting in high blood glucose does lots of damage, including damage to the kidneys he was checking on. Maybe your doctor is not too concerned of your BG level but you should be. It's not his hands and feet that will feel the effects of nerve damage, neuropathy. It's not his vision that will become blurred. It's not his life that could be affected.

He obviously wasn't planning on doing a fasting BG or you should have been given instructions not to have eaten after a certain time the night before, typically 10-12 hours prior to your appointment.

I would still recommend that you would get a monitor and start checking your BG. You are your own biggest health advocate.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I second mbuster. It never hurts to check once in a while. Just to catch anything early. If I had known then what I know now....
Try once in a while test with the meter, eat, test at one after after starting the meal and 2 hours. If you start at normal and end with a normal number that's great.
Even my husband checks his once in a while and he is always within limits. It's just nice to know if you have the ability to test.
Glad you got good news!

·
Registered
129 Posts
My A1C keep going up at each physical exam. One year it was eight and the doctor said if you don't watch out you're going to be a diabetic. The next year it was 9 and he said the same thing, etc.
Nine years later I was at work, got a small cut but it would never heal. That was the first thing that I noticed odd.
2. Then all of a sudden I was thirsty thirsty thirsty! I drank a ton of water and as soon as I did I had to go to the bathroom.
3. I got yeast infection terrible terrible terrible yeast infection. That is horrible for a woman.
4. I was tired all the time. Lethargic.
I went to the doctor and my A1C was over 14.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 😅

1 - 8 of 8 Posts