The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i'm 31/m in good shape. i regularly exercise and am in a healthy BMI. Diabetes (type II) runs rampant in my family... i'm sure for me it's a when, not if. Every year i get a checkup where sugars and such are tested, thus far all has been normal.

I noticed in the last year a few things going on, that i wonder if is an early sign.. I tend to eat well, i do try to not over do it with carbohydrates / sugars and typically eat a lower glycmeic diet. I've noticed this (and it's almost clockwork) lately after about 3-4 days of eating cleanly i get unbelieable hunger... that is only quenched by carbs. i could eat buckets of raw veggies, but until i eat something rich in carbs i'm not satisfied. typically right before this happens my sleep patterns are awfull, i tend to be unable to sleep well at all. i can go to bed at midnight, wake up at 2,3,4am and never get back to bed.. but if i go load up on carbs i'm good for another couple days (again, 3-4).

I also do tend to use the washroom quite a bit.. but i also drink tons of water so i dont think i can link that to anything other than a lot of water.

Typically when i get 3-4 days in, i notice i get dizzy quite a bit... but it's all head-rush dizzy spells. getting up from sitting or whatnot. my doc blamed this on my low blood pressure so i've never thought more about it.

could this be anything? i'm due to see my doctor next month where i'll go over all this... but till then would be nice to get some thoughts.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Welcome! I couldn't really say what it is causing your reactions but I'm thinking at least part of it might be carb withdrawl.
If you eat carbs, then withold them, your body gets a bit grumpy and exhibits cravings for the carbs it wants.
Also, for your own peace of mind, you might consider getting a meter so you can test once and a while to see what's going on after eating carbs as well as fasting.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I agree with Wink, get a meter and start testing. It is one way to see if something is showing a trend and be sure to keep track of the results. When you show your doctor, let him decide what tests to run. That is great that you are getting tested every year, you are right on top of things!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts