The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am having blood sugar issues. Anytime I eat carbs
after I get blurry vision and a headache. I was tested for diabetes like 2-3 years ago and I was fine, but now I think I should be tested again? I ate peanut butter m and ms last night and felt sick all night and even this morning. I even just ate a squash with protein and fat and it happened again. Also I have noticed that my foot circulation is getting worse. At night when I lay down I have to use those hot hand things to warm up my feet because they hurt from being so cold. Sometimes I notice this metal taste in my mouth too and hair loss. I am getting to the point of being scared to eat anything that is not pure protien. I am 23 year old white female 5, 5" and 105 lbs and have several autoimmune disorders. I am seeing a doctor tomorrow, but was wondering what anyone thinks. Do you think it is IR or diabetes.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
sure sounds like diabetes, but im not a dr

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
For most of my life I have avoided waffles, doughnuts, etc. for b'fast because I always was protein hungry within an hour after eating that way. Never understood what that meant, but now I do! I have to wonder if I've been diabetic for again, most of my life. I was always underweight until I reached middle age and then the pounds piled on. I had yearly checkups and no one ever mentioned my blood sugar being high either. I asked for an A1C last June just out of curiosity since a good friend had been diagnosed with diabetes, and it sure looks like I am. My doctor thinks I'm not because I immediately put myself on a combination of Atkins and blended several other diets together and lost 50 lbs.

I know better than he does. Thank God for that finding. Glad you are seeing your doctor and it could be things other than D. like allergies, but good for you trying to track it down.

Keep us posted in any case.

·
Banned
158 Posts
after I get blurry vision and a headache. I was tested for diabetes like 2-3 years ago and I was fine, but now I think I should be tested again? I ate peanut butter m and ms last night and felt sick all night and even this morning. I even just ate a squash with protein and fat and it happened again. Also I have noticed that my foot circulation is getting worse. At night when I lay down I have to use those hot hand things to warm up my feet because they hurt from being so cold. Sometimes I notice this metal taste in my mouth too and hair loss. I am getting to the point of being scared to eat anything that is not pure protien. I am 23 year old white female 5, 5" and 105 lbs and have several autoimmune disorders. I am seeing a doctor tomorrow, but was wondering what anyone thinks. Do you think it is IR or diabetes.
Doesn't really sound like Diabetes to me. It sounds more like a food sensitivity. You mentioned symptoms happening with "carbs" and you had a reaction last night after eating a "sandwich." You might have a sensitivity to wheat or gluten and possibly peanuts. Many times autoimmune disorders are triggered by food sensitivities (not full blown allergies).

What was the source of "fat" with the meal you mentioned of squash, protein and fat? If was a corn based fat, you might be sensitive to corn as well.

The hair loss & cold feet sound like you might have an underactive Thyroid function.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome . . . yes, I agree that you should be tested again, and I would request, in addition to the usual tests, both a c-peptide, and GAD antibodies tests. The fact that you already have other autoimmune disorders, plus you're young and you're very thin, could make a case for type 1 or type 1.5 (LADA), but blood tests are conclusive. I doubt if it's IR, but then again, it could be BOTH insulin deficiency & insulin resistance - many people have both. On the other hand, I'm not a medical professional, so what do I know? Let us know when you get the results . . . it's awful to feel so crummy all the time. Wishing you well for feeling better very soon!

·
Registered
35 Posts
2-3 years ago is way too long.i think yes you could be diabetic and get tested again

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I agree. You should get tested. It also sounds like symptoms of hypothyroidism that my gf exhibited before her diagnosis. Don't know, it could be several other things but something is wrong. Make sure you get checked out and let us know what you hear.

·
Registered
35 Posts
also the hair loss could be diabetic related.when i didn't have good control, i remember losing a lot of hair

·
Registered
4 Posts
also the hair loss could be diabetic related.when i didn't have good control, i remember losing a lot of hair
when did you noticed that you are losing a lot of hair? I just noticed mine 2 months ago and it's getting worst as time goes by. :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
it started couple months ago also

·
Registered
12 Posts

You do have diabetes like symptoms, but just because a person gets a stomach ache doesn't mean they have stomach cancer. It's great you are going to the Dr. What I was wondering is if you have a family history of Diabetes ? All of the symptoms you mentioned can be caused by stress and anxiety as well. I am not a Dr, but try and relax and be positive. Remember it could be something so non serious. I tend to freak myself out sometimes when I get weird symptoms and only to find out it was nothing. Take care and let us know the outcome of your Dr. Visit.:);):D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts