The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another forum it seems I am being BLAMED for considering T1 a more legitimate diagnosis than T2 ... because I was relieved to be able to get GAD testing, and therefore insulin???

And on a third forum :eek:, I am asking someone who has a T1.5 diagnosis why they would be happy to be taken off insulin, because it might protect them from progression ... ???

ACK! Between IR and insufficiency, I cannot WIN! And now, this!

Do other T1.5's feel caught in the middle, somehow?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
On another forum it seems I am being BLAMED for considering T1 a more legitimate diagnosis than T2 ... because I was relieved to be able to get GAD testing, and therefore insulin???

And on a third forum :eek:, I am asking someone who has a T1.5 diagnosis why they would be happy to be taken off insulin, because it might protect them from progression ... ???

Probably. I know I feel sort of caught in the middle sometimes. Although I am T2 I have no beta cell function and therefore in that respect I am like a T1. But I am still insulin resistant, true to my T2. I just think its sad that some people are so hung up on labels and they are obviously the ones that consider one type to be more "legitimate" than others. I suppose all you can do when people get snarky with you is just explain what you think and let it roll off your back. No natter what type any of us are...we still face most of the same complications. A lot of the same dietary issues need to followed also. Only the treatment might be a bit different. If they still want to be ugly then its obviously their problem.

**hug** hang in there....

·
Registered
633 Posts
There is nothing with getting the proper giagnosis so you can properly treat it. Type 1.5 is not an official disease, meaning that it it is not recognized by the medical associations. Perhaps a better way to think of it is that it is A typical Type 1. Really the only difference is in the onset. Both are caused by the destruction of beta cells by the bodies own imune system. Type 1 hapens in a couple of months and type 1.5 may take several years.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well we cannot deny the stigma of Type 2 that pervades, in general, in the press, and I am painfully aware of physician attitudes toward it .... but IT IS NOT ME who has it ... I just have to deal with them basing their treatment of me on it, like the rest of us schmoes!

Hell I was FAT at diagnosis, obese, in fact, before DKA made me lose weight! I am on the max dose of metformin, too! I know plenty of Type 2's who were never obese ... :clock::clock:

And I know a guy who is T1.5 and refuses INSULIN! Or any meds ... AHHHHHH!

·
Registered
165 Posts

why do thye feel the need to hassle other diabetics T1, t2, or t1.5 they all suck and everyone handles it differently. sometimes the internet just sucks. sorry for your troubles foxl

·
Registered
710 Posts
It's beyond me that anyone would find you biased against any diabetic. I've read your posts on several forums and always found you sympathetic, inquisitive and generous. So sorry you are feeling hassled.

Jen

(I swear, Linda...I'm not stalking you :eek:!)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Pam, I started out T1 with no beta cell function, then developed insulin resistance and have used a T2 med for 12 years. That makes me a double diabetic.

You started out T2 with beta cell function and T2 med(s), then lost beta cell function and became insulin dependant. Now you are a double diabetic.

We came from opposite sides of the road and sorta met in the middle. I know other T2's who have progressed to using pumps, and they have C-peptides < 0.5, so there is almost no beta cell function. My very good friend, Lloyd, has perfect control and he is a T2 now using a pump like you. He is a mod here but has not visited for a very long time.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Jen ... seriously, I do try to be! This one sounded a tad paranoid, perhaps.

Not that it takes much with the anti-T2D propaganda ....

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I don't monitor the other forums close enough to know you were being attacked, but it doesn't surprise me! Just so you know, nobody better come here looking to trouble you, or they gotta get past US! :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, now, I am picking a fight with a T1 (and I think in med profession, perhaps a nurse?) who is claiming her T2D relatives became diabetic due to their "Sedentary lifestyle ... " Ooooweee.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Double Diabetic.

Richard is right on the money there as I take far too much insulin as my TDD is around 200+U and I am heavy like 260 Pounds. :(:( Also low carbing is not at all easy. With that amount of fat as that will slow down the insulin to no end. The Metaformin I haven't touched yet as just getting a Endo to prescribe it. The Endo at the hospital are not that much help and so I would have to look at a new doctor and get a referral to a doc who has majored in Endocrinology. Then try again to have Metaformin.

Oh would it be nice to have thinner thighs.​

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Peter, I hope you will get to use the Met. There are many Type 1 diabetics with insulin resistance who are using Met, and it is helping them a lot.

·
Registered
213 Posts
When we don't have solid, unassailable evidence, we have to resort to opinions. Nothing wrong with that, but some treat their opinions as if Moses came down the mountain with them engraved in stone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts