The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to tour by bike, I am an advocate for providing safer transportation for all, which includes pedestrian & cycling, in relation to "D" the benefits can be immense.
I have been involved with 37 fundraising bike rides since 1973, 2012 will be my 38th. I have been involved in several fundraising walks as well, the object is for funding education, information, & research. Once one is finished for the year, the next day is the time to start getting ready for the next one, just by somehow putting some time into moving around daily, by foot or bike.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Biker, welcome aboard! I admire you very much for what you are doing to raise funds. You started in 1973 and have been doing this a very long time. Fantastic! I wish I had known about fund raising back then, so I could have participated. It would be difficult for me now, at age 72. I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am very healthy.

What do you do to avoid hypos while biking long distances. I will occasionally have bad hypos without warning and have to test often. i carry my meter and glucose tabs at all times.

Richard

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Wes . . . that's quite a record - thanks for all you're doing to get the word out.

Tell us about yourself & how you manage your diabetes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
There is an ADA ride next summer, it's about 200 miles from here. I think I'd like to participate. I'd need to raise $150 in donations, and I live in a small town of 62 people. That is a daunting task for me, I would not go door to door, that is just not done here (and so few people anyway).

I admire your efforts, I try to help people with D that need it, and have for years. We each do what we can, according to our gifts.

-Lloyd

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ Richard luckily (for me) you were diagnosed 20 years earlier, and sadly (for you) I was 3 years older @ d'x. I was taught early that it would be possible to stay active, although there were few older examples around for you, as a pioneer.

1) I just enjoy riding, by way of commuting to work, touring, I get a lot of solo riding time, and like you testing often, I find when I start weaving a bit I have hit (around) 60, which means time to refuel, getting the pump has been a big benefit, being able to cut back the basal rate, which formerly meant just dropping back the long acting, getting used to carrying extra supplies on longer rides will slow a person down but it is the doing in the first place that really means living.

At 56, I still think 100,000 miles lifetime by bike is a reality, conservatively I have passed 80,000 so far in 51+ years of riding, 42,000 between 1999 - 2008.
I currently use MM523 pump w/CGM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts