The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So went to the doc today for my test results. I think the results surprised us both. My fasting BG was 6.6 but my A1C was a surprising 5.9%. Wow, my doc did not know what to say.

So the plan is to drop back down to 2x 500mg metformin a day. And keep monitoring and doing what I am doing.


This was a good day. He also mentioned that be has never seen a diagnosed T2 diabetic with these results.

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Congratulations! Way to hum!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Congratulations. Whenever I go for my doctor appointments my doctor is always amazed that I control my diabetes so well. Last year my HbA1c was 5.9. I just tested last week and it was 5.3. It is possible to manage this disease so your numbers are almost normal. I figure that gives me the best chance at avoiding complications in the future. Again, congrats on your success.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Way to go, AF! You keep right on shocking your doc (they deserve it!)! :D If you notice any "creepage" in your readings, tell him to give you back the extra metformin . . . you gotta dance with the one that brung ya, right?! ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, this place has helped me a lot. Oh about the readings creeping, I had thought about it and will be vigilantly testing. 

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I take metformin 1000mg 2x/daily and asked my endo if it would ever be possible to go off of it. He said there was no reason to regardless any future numbers because it's protection, there's no downside to taking it, and it can't make one hypo.

So I'm interested in hearing the pros of going off it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Moon - my doc agrees with yours. Met isn't just to keep the numbers down - it also makes it easier on your pancreas - protects it from working too hard and keeps it working longer. Met is also good for your heart which is a very good thing.

I think our normal inclination is to think that less meds or no meds is better but in this case, my doc convinced me this isn't true.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I wonder at what point you should reduce your metformin. I am still on the maximum dose 3 x 850 and my HbA1c is 5.3. Most of my bgs seem to hover around 83-86 except for after meals and it is about 100. I work hard at the low carb diet and try not to eat anything that will spike me. A couple of times I have cut out one of the pills and the minute I see bg creep I start taking them again. I rarely have lows. Twice over the holidays I went into the 60's but that was after one too many glasses of wine.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Great A1c. You should be proud. I'm a little scared that your doctor has never seen a T2 with results as good as yours. What does that mean for all the other diabetics under his care? I wish you could be the norm!

My doctor thought my A1c (5.3%) was too low. He said, "You have a non-diabetic A1c" in a very serious voice. I responded, "Yes, but I'm still diabetic, and I work very hard to achieve these results."

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
My doctor thought my A1c (5.3%) was too low. He said, "You have a non-diabetic A1c" in a very serious voice.
Quick - cheesecake!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts