The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking of taking a trip via airplane. ive not been on a plane in some years now, and not since diagnosis.

im wondering if the airline will give me a hard time bringing my kit with me. as of now im not sure if im going to have carry-on only (im hoping so) or a bag to check in. either way, id rather not leave my kit out of sight.

any other Type 2's have any tips/thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I can't imagine why there would be a problem, though I don't know what your kit consists of, or what your lancet looks like. My newbie kit is just strips, lancet (multi-clik so no needles visible), meter. If insulin, the only issue would be if it's more than 4 fl oz (I know zero about insulin.)

I have a nail clipper on my keyring and they don't care about that - at least not for a couple/few years.

If by some quirk they question it, all you have to say is that you're diabetic.

G

·
hi Eric
All I know is that you should carry a letter from your doc to say what medication you are on... then you're fine. But I guess diabetes identification of some sort should suffice too. It depends whether it's domestic or international. I think international flights they are more strict with the letter from your doc. They also advise that all medication should be in it's original packaging (not on it's own). I've not travelled on a plane in past year though since having to take insulin.... so I'd probably need to double check that myself. But the airline usually will advise you what you need to do if you either check their website or give them a call.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
im thinking of taking a trip via airplane. ive not been on a plane in some years now, and not since diagnosis.

im wondering if the airline will give me a hard time bringing my kit with me. as of now im not sure if im going to have carry-on only (im hoping so) or a bag to check in. either way, id rather not leave my kit out of sight.

any other Type 2's have any tips/thoughts on this?
Good question, the last time I was on a plane, I didn't have diabetes. So I will just read the replies to your thread. I would carry this with me.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I had my Lantus Pen and Lancets and tester. I took along the boxes that contained the prescription on them. All was in my carry on bag and no one said anything about it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My mom flies regularly to my brother in US, She always carries doctor's prescription, list of medicines. Her lancets and Insulin vials are always packed separately and are carried in the cabin lluggage as they need lower temperatures. You can also do so, you should also wear your Diabetic badge on your sleeve. You can address or inform stewardess regarding your cabin luggage. Mom always keeps it under her feet as she need some elevation for feet and doesnt have to bother anybody when you need something. I have also done the same twice before and no one questioned me either on local or international flights.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I flew in December and had no probs at all carrying all my supplies on board with me. I told them what was in the little bag and they didn't even question it.
I did have a letter from my Dr. just in case but had no issues in any of the airports. On the flight home I didn't even mention it and they didn't give it a second glance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts