The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought another one of my all time favorites to life and then proceeded to eat way to much of it. Not really the hand held type of Taco more like a Giant Taco Salad.

I browned 1 lb of really lean hamburger meat in which I put in onions, red pepper, plubano pepper, garlic. and when they were all pearled I added a can of Black Soy Beans. I then added salt, pepper,Thymne, Basal, and lots of Cumin, crushed red pepper, and paprika, along with a small amount of water to get it all mixed up. When that cooked down I added a half cube of cream cheese and flattened the whole thing down in the skillet.

The taco shell was:

1 cup of blanch almond flour
1/4 cup of ground flax seed
1/4 cup of corn bran I got from netrition
a couple tbls full of coconut oil
salt pepper onion garlic powder
1-1/2 cups of mexican cheese shreds

Processed the whole thing in my food processor until a some what dry dough formed. Rolled it flat on some parchment paper to the same size as the skillet 12" diameter or so. Nuked this on high for 5-6 minutes until crisp. I then removed it and placed it on top of the skillet with the meat underneath. Thru it into a hot oven 400 for a few minutes to meld it all together.

We topped large portions of this with sour cream, lettuce shreds, cubed tomatoes and diced onions and more mexican cheese. A little taco sauce and I was living the life I tell you. That was a taste of something I thought I would never taste again.

One final note I managed all of this with a 2.5yrs old screaming bloody murder to get his dinner while his 6 mnth old little sister watched me make the whole thing.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Marty, you definitely get the CHEF OF THE YEAR AWARD !!!! It sounds delicious. You must be great grandparents, I am still waiting to become one. I wish my son and his wife would hurry up. Is the corn bran pretty low carb? I normally do OK with a normal corn tortilla as long as I don't overdo it. Somewhere in the back of my cabinet I have these tortilla pans. You put a normal tortilla in it and spray it with pam and pop in the oven. When you are finished you get free standing tortilla bowls. I wonder if it would work with your tortillas.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where did you get the tortila pan from, been looking for a way to make home made taco shells.

I got the Corn Bran from Honeyville grains, sorry for saying netrition. For a 100g amount which is probably a cup or so, has 88g of carbs which 79g are fiber so around 9g per cup, pretty low. What I have found out though it doesn't take much of this stuff to make something taste a little corny.

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/cornbran5lb.aspx

Marty, you definitely get the CHEF OF THE YEAR AWARD !!!! It sounds delicious. You must be great grandparents, I am still waiting to become one. I wish my son and his wife would hurry up. Is the corn bran pretty low carb? I normally do OK with a normal corn tortilla as long as I don't overdo it. Somewhere in the back of my cabinet I have these tortilla pans. You put a normal tortilla in it and spray it with pam and pop in the oven. When you are finished you get free standing tortilla bowls. I wonder if it would work with your tortillas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts