The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just thought of this question today and I hope it doesn't sound too dumb... but I haven't travelled to a different time zone using insulin before. In particular I'm not sure how it works for the basal injection? My endo's advice to me was to not go more than half an hour either way from usual time if I forget. I'm figuring because I have to go to other side of the country for work and it's just a 2 hour time difference that I just go along with the time in that zone and inject my usual time I would here. Obviously I'm going outside the half hour timeframe as recommended by my endo. I'm figuring I'm probably going to stuff myself around though as technically I'm injecting 2 hours earlier and vice versa when I get back. Just grin and bear it? arrrghhh :confused: Does anyone else have any ideas/suggestions about this? Maybe it's no big deal... and I'd hate to think what it would be like with a huge time difference for your body to adjust.

·
Registered
633 Posts
It depends for me on which the time change goes. Is it a time gaine or a time loss.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
And for how long? Your body will maintain many of its rhythms for a week or more.

Longer, and you probably will want to move your dose.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well it will be a time gain, then coming back a loss. It is a very short one nighter trip as I have to go to a conference. But because I live the other side of the country, have to leave the day before to get to the conference in time. I have figured that one of the nights I'll actually be on a plane and will have to have the shot... so I'll be between time zones. lol. The first night I plan to get the flight that gets me there beforehand (the shot)... as the next flight gets me there when I'll be still commuting and due the shot.... and of course I don't want to be standing in an airport and forgetting to take it. Stupid how you have to plan things around your diabetes.

·
Registered
633 Posts
one night is not a big deal you just need to make sure that you don't have a huge overlap. I would just not reset my watch and take it at the same time where ever you are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts