The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone take cinnamon supplements? I've heard from two friends that they have been taking it and it helps to lower cholesterol.

Not sure it helps BS like some claim but I'm not really concerned about taking it for that purpose.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've been taking them but noticed no effect. I think the progress I've made is from low-carb eating. But, scientifically, it's not a valid experiment because we have two variables (cinnamon, low-carb).

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got my cinnamon supplements today and started taking. Gonna see if there's any impact to bs won't know about it's affect on cholesterol for a while.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to be a bit of a party pooper but have you read - Worthless or Dangerous Supplements ? (scroll down a bit for the section on cinnamon) - I like the taste but tend to agree that as a way of blood sugar control, it's a non contributor.
I guess I'm more for it helping cholesterol than anything. I've talked to two friends of mine that have used it and lowered their cholesterol. They are older than me by 30 years so I'm not sure if age played a factor.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
As Pat says, if it's your cholesterol you're worried about, then using the low-carb/high-FAT way-of-eating is the best way to control that. My husband and I both dropped our cholesterol levels markedly by using LCHF, and many other members here can say the same.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm already eating low carbs. I guess at my new drs appointment if the do new blood work I'll see what has changed since January.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a friend that cuts garlic cloves up into a pill looking form and swallows them. its something that he swears by but i also know that things like cinnamon garlic and avocados very from person to person ;)

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I gave it up because it seemed that the dose required for any alleged effect caused gas and disruption of digestion. It didn't seem like a good idea. BG effects were observed, but I think it was placebo effect or perception bias because they evaporated after a week or two. I don't know about effects on cholesterol. Anyway, seeking to lower LDL is not really supported by any science as a good idea. Decreasing triglycerides and increasing HDL probably are a good idea. The quickest and best way to do that is to increase saturated fat in your diet, especially by eliminating the polyunsaturates.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Senior Senior Member
1,008 Posts
I've always tried to add as much cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, garlic and other good things to my food as possible, but the idea of supplements seems like just another way people are profiting from fads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts