The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
because if I have to spend one more precious moment of my life with my white trash relatives I'm going to be up on a tower shooting at people.

I'm diagnosed almost a month ago with diabetes and just today, I hear from my idiot brother, who wants me to come over for Easter dinner (I mean, why - he hasn't gone to church in 30 years???) tells me he's having lasagna, I say I can't have that and he goes, 'Oh yeah, I heard you got diabetes. You can have lasagna'. I say, 'No, I can't' and he says 'Well, it's good you got diabetes, you were too fat anyway'. Then the MF-er tells me to just lose weight and it'll go away. I tell him 'No, it's a lifelong disease'. He proceeds to argue with me that no, it can be cured just by dropping ten pounds. I swear, I wanted to reach through the phone and strangle this K-Fed wannabe.

Does anyone else have clueless, voluntarily stupid, totally ignorant non-supportive relatives like mine who just make your stress level go through the roof? That's one of the main reasons I want nothing to do with them today or the rest of my life - I don't need my bgs going through the roof just being around them.

UGH! :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hey there Rosie - yes, I think every one of us has run into someone who offers advice based on absolutely nothing. It's really aggravating! I've found that I just have to ignore them - no amount of discussion is going to change their attitude, so you just have to go about your business secure in the knowledge that you're doing the right thing for yourself.

Deep breaths, now. Happy Easter...and stay away from the Peeps!!!!!!!

Jen

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
He sounds pretty crass -- esp. about weight! Jerk.

However ... he does reflect the popular press notion of T2D. Unfortunately, people talking and writing about it have promoted this horrid misconception of our disease. To the point that Type 1's will day anything to try to distance themselves from it. And become even meaner to Type 2's, saying stupid things such as, "People just eat to damn much." And all the while following the party line about "Healthy whole grains!" and "OF COURSE, you should eat carbs!" At the same TIME!

And so will some medical professionals. And others.

Welcome to the reality of having D. Infuriating, isn't it?

·
Registered
710 Posts
He sounds pretty crass -- esp. about weight! Jerk.

However ... he does reflect the popular press notion of T2D. Unfortunately, people talking and writing about it have promoted this horrid misconception of our disease. To the point that Type 1's will day anything to try to distance themselves from it. And become even meaner to Type 2's, saying stupid things such as, "People just eat to damn much." And all the while following the party line about "Healthy whole grains!" and "OF COURSE, you should eat carbs!" At the same TIME!

And so will some medical professionals. And others.

Welcome to the reality of having D. Infuriating, isn't it?
Gosh - I hope I never sound this way to T2's!

Jen

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I'm assuming from your posts that there's a pre-D history here as well.

I don't have anyone like that in my life at the moment. But when I did, I learned -- after a few miserable years -- to stay away from them. At the very least, I avoided situations where bad behavior was bound to occur.

Sounds tough at first. And it is. But only at first.

Perhaps you have, say, a sudden conflict or "emergency" today?

If that's impossible this time, you may want to consider taking foods you can eat, or eating before dinner. (I did that way, way back when I was trying to lose weight and a couple of relatives desperately wanted me to stay fat.)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
No, of course not, Jen! I hope I said SOME T1's ... nope, I did not. Sorry about that.

Heck, though, I even was accused of distancing myself from T2's by having antibody testing! The stigma of T2D is quite divisive. I really blame the press ... but also the medical profession.

The press loves to stir the pot with horror stories of morbidly obese people wreaking havoc on the insurance system, and medicare / medicaid, all while slurping down HFCS-sweetened sodas and eating candy bars ... evil gluttons.

Meanwhile, nobody in medicine, including the ADA, does anything to dispel that stereotype.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
There are so many misconceptions about diabetes - I had them also. All I knew about diabetes is that one shouldn't eat sugar, simple carbs were bad, and one could lose their feet. It has been a steep learning curve.

My mom is 92 and in assisted living. I am in NC half the year to care for her, but when I'm in CA someone visits her weekly on my behalf to do various things, including bring fresh flowers and fill her little candy dish. Mom never had a sweet tooth, but it's a common development with dementia. She's perfect weight, perfect labs, and enjoys a few pieces of candy/day. My sister who lives in France wrote me complaining mom should not have candy, that it sets her up for diabetes.

Enough said on this multi-leveled absurdity.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Even an old mama grizzly like me gets a little flack from the peanut gallery now & again . . . remember when DH logged his amazing lipids profile this year? We emailed all the kids as we do with all our updates, and it created quite a stir! Some even asked questions about our low-carb/high-fat way of eating. But y'know the parting shot from one of our DILs, who happens to be a card-carrying member of the medical community & quite committed to "healthy" nutrition?

"Well!" sez she. "A broccoli salad is certainly a lot more healthy if it isn't slathered with mayonnaise!" And yet her original comment upon seeing his numbers was that he had the numbers of a 20-year-old!

She had his test results right in from of her, along with the comparisons for all the results from years past, but when the truth was told that he's been eating "high fat" for two years, she choked - couldn't handle it. Wouldn't you like to set a match to all the institutions of higher learning which perpetuate the gawd-awful myths about eating healthy? :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even an old mama grizzly like me gets a little flack from the peanut gallery now & again . . . remember when DH logged his amazing lipids profile this year? We emailed all the kids as we do with all our updates, and it created quite a stir! Some even asked questions about our low-carb/high-fat way of eating. But y'know the parting shot from one of our DILs, who happens to be a card-carrying member of the medical community & quite committed to "healthy" nutrition?

"Well!" sez she. "A broccoli salad is certainly a lot more healthy if it isn't slathered with mayonnaise!" And yet her original comment upon seeing his numbers was that he had the numbers of a 20-year-old!

She had his test results right in from of her, along with the comparisons for all the results from years past, but when the truth was told that he's been eating "high fat" for two years, she choked - couldn't handle it. Wouldn't you like to set a match to all the institutions of higher learning which perpetuate the gawd-awful myths about eating healthy? :mad: :mad: :mad:

What makes me mad is the intellectual laziness of some people. Someone else mentioned that the press is responsible for these ideas, but I say, no. When I don't know the answer to a question, I look it up or I ask about it BEFORE I make a comment as if I know what I'm talking about. Idiots like my brother have the internet at their hands but instead of finding out the truth before he talks he just pulls nonsense out of thin air. Some people just don't care how foolish they sound as long as it makes them feel superior. Imagine being proud to voluntarily be a moron. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Well I understand about intellectual laziness, but, frankly, until it was a priority to ME, after diagnosis ... I went along with the party line, too. And I am a pretty well-educated person who worked in biomedical research! I just did not know!!! And we have gotten the line for YEARS. Cognitive dissonance leads to discomfort, and unless we have a reason to consider changing our viewpoint, personally, we do not.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Oh, and Shanny? One of my favorite lunches recently would send your DIL into a tailspin: Eggs mayonnaise! 2 eggs with mayo, and some veg or seasonings strewed on top! Yummy!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I understand about intellectual laziness, but, frankly, until it was a priority to ME, after diagnosis ... I went along with the party line, too. And I am a pretty well-educated person who worked in biomedical research! I just did not know!!! And we have gotten the line for YEARS. Cognitive dissonance leads to discomfort, and unless we have a reason to consider changing our viewpoint, personally, we do not.

I getcha, but my family, they fall into the category of 'proud to be stupid'. It's not just diabetes, it's with EVERYTHING. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

What makes me mad is the intellectual laziness of some people. Someone else mentioned that the press is responsible for these ideas, but I say, no. When I don't know the answer to a question, I look it up or I ask about it BEFORE I make a comment as if I know what I'm talking about. Idiots like my brother have the internet at their hands but instead of finding out the truth before he talks he just pulls nonsense out of thin air. Some people just don't care how foolish they sound as long as it makes them feel superior. Imagine being proud to voluntarily be a moron. :rolleyes:
I think it's actively encouraged from the media and other large institutions. But yeah, the laziness comes first!

Plus, ignorance is soooo popular! All someone's gotta do is parrot some common nonsense and most folks just nod their heads and make nice clucking noises.* Heartwarming, no? :rolleyes2:

Even on the internet, I need to check several sources before coming up with any conclusion. And I know I may not find the answers online. Don't know how many people use that method, or are taught to do so in school.

* No offense to our bird cousins intended. Them, I respect!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Jen said:
Gosh - I hope I never sound this way to T2's!

Jen
Me neither!! We are all in this together!

Cheers,

Jeremy

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
In my opinion, our T1 members have not only never sounded "that" way, you've been nothing but graciously helpful here (yes gracious, you too, adjitater, you ornery old pup :D). In fact, sometimes when I run across questions that I know nothing about, I look forward to seeing some of you guys jump into the fray. The general public is just horribly ignorant about diabetes of all kinds, and the more facts we can pass along, the better.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
In case you do have to go, try something I did last week that worked for me. I was in a camp situation with the food prepared and we had lasagna for dinner and I took two large squares of it and pulled all the noodles off and ate the filling only, and luckily it had lots of meat in it. My BG stayed fine and I learned something in the process!

Sorry there is so much misinformation out there about our disease, but that's life for now.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In case you do have to go, try something I did last week that worked for me. I was in a camp situation with the food prepared and we had lasagna for dinner and I took two large squares of it and pulled all the noodles off and ate the filling only, and luckily it had lots of meat in it. My BG stayed fine and I learned something in the process!

Sorry there is so much misinformation out there about our disease, but that's life for now.

I didn't go and I actually never want to see these relatives again. It's not the misinformation I was originally complaining about, it's the incompassionate attitude of these trailer trash people I'm unfortunately related to. I had to have been switched at birth, there's no other explanation.

G

·
Well even as fellow diabetics we don't all agree on everything... and that's simply because we're all different. I'm also in touch with people who are ignorant and haven't got a clue. But the main thing is to not let it get to you and stay positive. I educate people myself and put them straight about what works for me... with a "thanks for your concern" attitude. I also agree that media is not portraying type 2 very well.... considering only 60% supposedly has to do with diet and exercise initially.... I fit into the 40% where I have other precursors that lead to diabetes. Although I'm not even sure those stats are right... diabetes is diabetes and still a disease no matter which way they look at it. There's really no point in making people feel aweful about it. Focusing on prevention is good... although it can't always be prevented as such.
Rosie, my brother used to say similar stuff when I was diagnosed years back (eg. just lose weight and you'll get rid of it)... he now understands better as I've been educating him. But I still love him to bits. Family is so important and even though it may seem they're unsupportive... it's ignorance at this stage because you're newly diagnosed. Just keep persisting... they'll get it hopefully in the end. But I can tell you that ignorance still goes on as now my bro hates me taking drugs... he wants me to go 'natural' with treating my health... he's concerned about side effects.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts