The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked to a dietitian today who runs a diabetic clinic in my area. First she put my mind a ease and said that most diabetics have a lot of trouble with those pesky carb's in the beginning. She laid out a meal plan for me to try it. She said to do no more than 60 grams per meal. To test blood sugar before meals & 2 hrs. After and write down what I ate. I'm thinking I read that on this site.
Oh well thanks for listening
Pat C

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
709 Posts
I aim for total of 30g per day

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
If you were previously eating 300+ grams of carbs a day, reducing it to 180g a day is still a big change. So decide what you would like to do and give it a try. See how much your blood sugar improves (both fasting and post meal) and if that is enough to reach your goals.

You may find that is still too many carbs. You will never know how many carbs you can handle until you honestly try it and test, test, test. :)

Personally I do < 30g / day. But I didn't start there and slowly worked my way down until my blood sugar looked great.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
60g a MEAL? LOLOLOL

60g is a good 3 or 4 days for me

Reactions: smorgan

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I was also told to eat 45-60 per meal and 2 , 15-30 snacks. But I was never told to test after meals. Some diabetics can handle that amount and still be under 140, but I was not one of them. I gradually reduced my carbs at meals to where they are now 5-15 grams per meal. I do best at 20-30 carbs a day. Occassionaly I go to 40-50 a day but pay for it with higher bgs for several days. I was one who was carb addicted before diabetes and the only thing that keeps my bgs down is to avoid almost all carbs. It is hard at first and may take a few months to feel good on a low carb diet.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I was also told to eat 45-60 per meal and 2 , 15-30 snacks. But I was never told to test after meals. Some diabetics can handle that amount and still be under 140, but I was not one of them.
Even if people eating that many carbs can come down below 140, I don't think that's the right thing to do.

If you eat less carbs, the beta cells will have to work less and ultimately last longer. Several research studies indicate that Diabetics (T2) when diagnosed usually have only 50% (or less) of beta cell capacity left.

To make them last longer, I would rather eat less carbs and keep my beta cells happy rather than eating more carbs making them work hard (with a whip) for keeping me under 140

·
Registered
235 Posts
My Dietitian told me to Eat this for Dinner.

1/4 Meat
1/4 Rice or Mashed potatos
1/2 plate of Veggies or salad

I have 1/4 medium rare steak without sauce or salt, 1/4 white Rice and 1/2 plate of Steam GREEN Mixed 4 leaf Veggies without sauce or seasoning.

Guess What? Before dinner was 5.9 and I test again in 2 hrs after dinner, it went up to 8.9 mmol!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

In the end, I sack my Dietitian!!

Reactions: muck and Shanny

·
Registered
916 Posts
I did the same as JT. I have had 4 of them & they all tried to get me to eat to the plate. I could have bread, rice, pasta, potato, bla bla.. Low fat stuff. Marg not butter :eek:

Now when I go , I sit & listen to the BS . Nod & agree then leave. :whistle::lalala:

to the poster , I would just eat what your meter says is best for you. You can look over this forum for list's lowG foods . I went Atkins not South Beach. Its really not that hard once you know how each & every food affects you.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I "sometimes THINK" & "SOMEHOW" agrees the diet my dietitian said its good for normal people who use more energy (construction workers which will burn off Carbs easy)

But the diet plans my Dietitian introduce to me which we are having the Big D is No GO!!

My 3 Diabetes Educators and GP ask me to see a Dietitian, I just told them.. No Dietitian will agrees and accept the diet I am Having except the Diet doctor @ LCHF for beginners | Dietdoctor.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
i try to shoot for the 40 mark on a daily basis

the majority of dietitions don't know how the diabetic body works (i've taken some of the classes after being diagnosed to better help myself understand) and ...gasp... some of the instructors only teach the students how to read the consumer side panel
most don't realize that you can have food interactions just like you can have drug interactions, everyones body handles the carb, fat, protien, spices, etc differently and you also have to take into consideration the state of our food sources
our meat has more steriods than major league baseball, our veg and fruit is picked unripened and forced to mature (and has been mutated to the point that there is no flavor, one major reason for adding fat and salt to our cooking) unless you grow your own or know where it's coming from it's a crap shoot most of the time
i always try to get local product, i get local beef and lamb and grow my own when mother nature is feeling ambevolent

sorry for the rant....i am passionate about food and what people put into their bodies (and it ain't the same stuff from my childhood)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think most dieticians don't want to tell D's they need to eat a restrictive diet. So, instead they tell you it is still OK to eat sugar, wheat flour, mashed potatoes, rice and pasta. I was told 180 was an OK number after meals. With most type 2's complications start slowly and people don't even notice until it is too late. My dad was told by his dietician to eat 4-5 carb servings per meal. It took that to mean a piece of bread was 1 serving, potatoes another, corn another, you see where this is going. Within 2 years he had serious neuropathy. He was also told to test 2 times per week. I think the medical community especially dieticians are still in the Dark Ages when it comes to eating carbs. It is such a simple concept to Eat to your meter. I like to keep my after meal numbers around 110 or lower. To do this I cannot eat what they want me to eat. At first I missed the potatoes, rice and pasta, now I don't miss it at all. The only thing I miss is bread and pizza. I do indulge occassionally and definitely pay for it later with more liver dumps for a week or more.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Note that when people say "carbs" they really mean source of glucose in the blood. To control diabetes and hopefully give your pancreas a rest, you need to decrease the total amount of glucose reaching your bloodstream and replace it with something which can take its place as an energy source. It's like saying "be sure to do your sit-ups" when you mean get exercise. There is more to it than just cutting carbs. Cutting carbs is the most basic, important and obvious step to take, but it is not the whole story.

If you replace them with protein, your liver will convert most of that to glucose negating much of the benefit of cutting carbs in the first place, causing your body to expend more energy to do the conversion and possibly causing other kinds of harm.

Your cells can get energy from exactly three sources: glucose, free fatty acids or ketones. The first is derived from ingested carbohydrates, the second from ingested fats and the third from ingested fats under certain required conditions. Other than being converted to glucose, proteins have nothing to do with energy, they are more for cell repair and rebuilding.

If your cells can get their energy from glucose, they will. If it is insufficient and alternatives are not present, your health will suffer.

So, you need to BOTH highly restrict incoming glucose by watching carb and protein intake AND provide an alternative energy source by eating lots of natural fats (no vegetable oils or hydrogenated anything). If you don't get right, your metabolism can just adjust by "slowing down", making you feel sluggish and continuing to rely on glucose as your fuel while at the same time not getting enough of it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I also eat much lower carb than my dietitian recommended. As one of the biggest eaters in the group, I have typically between 45-90g per day. And I might eat anywhere up to 3,500 calories a day, whereas most here eat half that.

I do eat more protein than many, but I also utilize the majority of it due to strenuous exercise. Those doing normal or moderate exercise should, as salim (smorgan) mentioned, eat more moderate amounts of protein.

I typically have 60-70% of my calories come from dietary fat now.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Very interesting reading from all you guys! :)

I've seen my share of dieticians since diagnosed. A necessary evil maybe? It never helped. I always left feeling frustrated. This place has done more for me than all those dieticians together. :wave:

Reactions: Carolina and Shanny
1 - 17 of 17 Posts