The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this on Blood Sugar 101. Can the more experienced diabetics tell me, do you agree with this or is it just ADA canned hash? Because if it's actually true, then I'm going to be looking forward to my next A1C....:)

"These are the targets that will give you an A1c in the 5% range no matter how high your A1c is now. If you don't believe me, check out THIS PAGE of reports from people who have used these targets to dramatically lower their A1cs.

One hour after eating: under 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/l)

Two hours after eating: under 120 mg/dl (6.7 mmol/l)

If you can do better than this, go for it. Normal people rarely go over 120 mg/dl ever and are usually under 100 mg/dl at 2 hours after eating."

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You won't find any ADA crap at BloodSugar101, it's the best diabetes site I know of. Jenny Ruhl knows what she's talking about, and she also cites her sources.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You won't find any ADA crap at BloodSugar101, it's the best diabetes site I know of. Jenny Ruhl knows what she's talking about, and she also cites her sources.
Cool! Then I'm on my way to a nice A1C in a couple of months, since my numbers are falling in those ranges. Excited!! :peace:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have followed most of Jenny's advise and it does work but sometimes it takes you more than a few months to get into her 5% club. It took me about 3 years to get my HbA1c under 6. In order to keep it that way I try to keep my 2 hour numbers as low as possible, preferably close to 100. Sometimes it is easy , sometimes it is very hard. My diabetic body has a mind of its own. I agree with Shanny, Blood Sugar 101 is one of the best diabetic sites out there. Like all of us she has used trial and error to manage her diabetes.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
One thing to remember, even if your 1hr post meal is well-under the 140 mark, if your fasting numbers (both between meal fasting and morning fasting) don't drop enough, it may be hard to reach the target.

My A1c at Dx was 12.1% :eek: ... My March A1c was exactly 7.0% (a little disappointing as I wanted 6.something). I'm hoping my June A1c is low 6's or even in the Mid-to-High 5% range somewhere, and that's my goal.

My September A1c will be on/around my birthday (Sept 21st) and I'm working toward a birthday present to myself of a LOW 5% reading then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
a1c goals

There are studies that show a1cs below 5 correlate to heart problems, I do not know why. For myself, DX 20+ years without insulin, just (decreasing) oral meds, I could not do it without exercise and weight loss. Haven't been over 6 on a1c for over 15 years, but that is just what works for me. Still a bit of a porker though!

The endocrinologists have a bit stricker goals than ADA.

O

·
0 Posts
Well here they consider HbA1c result of <7% as your diabetes is under control. Considering I got 6.6% for the first time ever recently... I'm really happy that I'm finally getting the overall numbers down. The thing though is we're all different and in an ideal world you'd love to have complete control of your BGLs... but that's just not possible 100% of the time (I'm sure we can all identify with that). I'm thinking if you're fortunate enough to have minimal stuff happening to impact your BGLs... then you stand a better chance at getting a great looking HbA1c. For me... I'm happy being considered "under control" for once... and it's quite an achievement considering all the other health issues going on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts