The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Small victory last night...picked my wife up at the airport and on the way home she said she wanted a Wendy's salad. Going to the pigtails was a pretty common thing for us before my D invasion; Dave Thomas' family should at least have been sending us Christmas cards the past several years...

So, since I'm still experimenting with what works and what doesn't, I decided to see what my usual favorite - spicy chicken sandwich - would do to my bg numbers (no bun, just the patty and lettuce/tomato...and no fries). Not only was the impact minimal, but I didn't really relish the chicken as much as I used to. It was good, but in the past I would have wanted another one right away. This time, my craving was satisfied with just the one patty. The difference? No carbs!

Like Patdart and many others have said, it's like carbs are a vicious cycle; you have some, you want more, you have more, you want more, you have more...and pretty soon you're being given Metformin. :eek:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Isn't it amazing? I just couldn't believe it when it happened to me. Congratulations on finding it yourself!
Thanks! It really is amazing, and I have my Dad (RIP) to thank for making it so much easier than I would have expected. I remember many occasions when he had the opportunity to cheat and indulge in something decadent (extra insulin at the ready), but chose not to and said, basically, that he didn't even have a taste for it anymore. (Said the same thing about bacon, too, eventually - I can say with absolute certainty that I will NEVER follow his lead on THAT front. #shootmenow :tongue:)

I think another big part of the "not having a taste for it anymore" has to do with the fact that I know precisely what I'll be doing to myself inside were I to scarf down those Krispy Kremes or Mountain Dews or whatever. It's the reason I've never smoked; no amount of nicotine-induced fun could ever justify turning my lungs into dead blobs of black ****. So I guess you could say having knowledge of the physiological and biological really helps a lot, too...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Yes, the wonderful part of a LC/HF diet is that after a while, you don't even crave the carbs, or sugary type stuff. Once you realize how good food can actually taste, and how satisfying it is without all the sugar and carbs, you really don't want to go back for it. Once in a great while, I will indulge in a piece of chocolate only because, let's face it, it's chocolate. But, it has to be really worth the while to do that (like has to be a really good chocolate, not like Nestle's or something). Other than that, I'm just as happy with a celery stick and some natural peanut butter for snacking, or some guacamole with pork rinds.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Small victory last night...
So glad to hear it! This is one of the BIGGER victories we get . . . and I'd never have believed it either, if it hadn't happened to me too. Bread was my big thing - and usually toasted, either in the pop-up toaster or on the griddle like Texas toast. It'll work for anyone who has the courage to honestly test it for a few days - just go without the "white" carbs.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I'm going without all the carby stuff, and my numbers are high last couple of days and I don't know why? It is almost like my bolus insulin isn't working at all. Could that be? I know my flexpen is working, and I know I'm injecting correctly, so what gives here? Tired of trying to always figure this out. Tired of these numbers being high for no reason. I had celery with some natural peanut butter for breakfast...lunch bg was 255! Woke to a 225 this morning, ate a piece of cheese hoping to stop DP, about 1 hour later before breakfast 284! What is going on here?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going without all the carby stuff, and my numbers are high last couple of days and I don't know why? <snip> What is going on here?
Renee, you've been at this a lot longer than I, so my input is most likely silly...but when I've had numbers that are high for no apparent reason, taking a walk or something to get the body fluids coursing along has seemed to be effective in "freeing" the insulin from wherever it was hiding, allowing it do do its thing. Numbers have come down to normal right quick...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
NotBubba:
I have a Zumba class tonight at 5:30 p.m., so hopefully this will help. Typically though I'm higher after exercise than before. I think I am under stress right now as well that I am trying to control, but having difficulty doing so. It just surprises me because I take a fast acting insulin, and it does not seem to be helping a whole lot right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts