The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a sugar substitute that is actually made from sugar...but has no carbs, no fructose, no sucralose, no nothing. It is not considered artificial because it is made from real sugar (I think). It might be called Just Like Sugar. I don't feel like getting up to look in the cabinet (I'm full from dinner and tired so I'm vegged out in my easy chair with the laptop in my lap). In any case has anyone used this before? I stuck my finger in it and tasted and it seemed like it was close enough to being a sugar taste. I am hoping that I can use this in baking and it won't give the food that funky taste you get with artificial or sugar alcohol substitutes. I'll keep you informed.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Shoot, pricey stuff - Amazon has it for $25/lb. I'll be interested in learning more about it, even if I can't afford to fall in love. I thought erythritol was bad enough.

Fortunately, for baking needs, I've found that erythritol w/ a couple drops of Splenda, if I get it just right, is nearly indistinguishable from sugar. Not eating sugar at all helps this delusion I'm sure - but am surely grateful it does.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
I use Just Like Sugar, but with other sweeteners - it's too expensive to use large quantities of it.

It has fiber in it which may or may not be good for whatever you are baking. I find if I put a tablespoon of it (along with the other sweeteners called for) in the mixture for pumpkin pie, it helps make the custard set up more firm. I use it for low-carb icecream (made with coconut milk) in place of the "Sugar Not" called for in the recipe - because JLS isn't quite as expensive as SN.

It dissolves well in liquids but I rarely use it for beverages, preferring liquid sucrulose.

Does it tast just like sugar?. Well, maybe not. But I'm beginning to forget what sugar tastes like. My sweetener of choice is Truvia. At first I thought the smell of Truvia to be odd, but now I rather like it. It's just a matter of getting used to something different - until it becomes the new "normal".

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
While we're on the subject, has anyone tried Sweetleaf stevia drops? Our daughter-in-law gave us a bottle, but we forgot it when we packed to leave, so she's mailing it to us. I think the old woodchopper may have tried a coupla drops in his coffee or whatever while we were visiting, but not enough to make a strong opinion.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
has anyone tried Sweetleaf stevia drops?
I have two bottles - peppermint and hazlenut. I've not tried them in much else than beverages - a little goes a long way. Since this is stevia, if you put too much in you'll get the stevia aftertaste. They are not my first choice in sweetening/flavoring (but then, I don't drink coffee and they were made for flavoring coffee).

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I use stevia drops when sweetening whipped cream. It's hard to judge how much is enough, and each drop packs a powerful punch!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, yes you are right, the Just Like Sugar is made from chicory root, vitamin C, and calcium, and the zest from an orange peel. It is not cheap, but I cannot use Splenda or any sugar alcohol as it has terrible affects on my intestinal system. I use equal for my coffee and anything I don't have to bake, but it doesn't work well with baking. As with other artificial sweeteners, it has a funny taste when used in baking. I am hoping the Just Like Sugar works a bit better.
I did try the cocoa mix last night. It has 22 grams of carbs from the cocoa, but also contains 21 grams of fiber, so it comes down to 1 gram of carb. It takes 4 level tablespoons of mix to 8 oz. hot water. I then added a good size dollop of heavy cream (I like my cocoa creamy) and it was absolutely delicious! I would buy it again even though I think I paid like $6.95 for the jar. It says it makes 9 servings. But, I don't drink hot cocoa all the time, so it should last me a while. I'll let you all know about the bulk for baking once I use it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts