The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, overweight 43 yr old male... doesnt like to go to the dr, only do it out of extreme necessity. I guess all of that has changed forever.
I went to the Dr about 2 years ago, and was diagnosed with type II. I did not take it as seriously as I should have, and now my numbers are totally out of control. So much that we started speaking of insulin, as opposed to oral therapy. My mind sees insulin as a death sentence, please don't laugh at me as I am pretty sure it is an illogical fear. He is giving me a month to try to pull my numbers down to a suitable range, but he doubts it will happen. I am very serious about getting this under control. I am trying to walk for 30 minutes everyday. I have cut out all beverages save water. Fast food has been replaced by whole grain cereal, oatmeal, salads and nuts.

Im not really sure why I am even posting other than I guess I am just hoping you all understand my fears wether rational or not.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The best tool against fear is education, and we can provide that for you, Scrimbles. Welcome to our support community, and now just take a deep breath! We don't want you to panic - that's a waste of good energy that can better be applied to getting your numbers down. ;)

Diabetes is not a death sentence, and insulin is just a terrific tool used to control diabetes. Other terrific tools are oral meds, exercise, and diet.

My first suggestion for you is to rid your diet of all "white" foods. Rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, anything made with white flour and/or white sugar. You can shock the socks off your doctor next month, because eliminating these foods for the time being, will effect such a dramatic change in your numbers.

A diabetic diet runs counter to everything we've been hearing for years - that fat is bad, and whole grains are good. Usually the diabetic patient finds that grains raise the blood sugar. Fats can help slow that down, but avoiding grains/cereals for now, is the quickest way to combat high bg (blood glucose).

Protein is our ace-in-the-hole. Our bodies can convert protein into the glucose it needs, but it has to work a little harder to do it, and that's a good thing. Eggs, cheese, meat, poultry, fish, avocados, nuts, olives . . . these are things we can eat without worrying. You don't have to go hungry and you don't have to live on rabbit food. Milk is often a villain, since it's loaded with lactose - another sugar. Using heavy cream thinned with water has been my solution to sauces & gravies which call for milk. Much better on my BG.

You can drink diet beverages, and you can enjoy coffee/tea, but watch what you add to it - sweetener powders can be troublesome if they're laced with maltodextrin, and non-dairy creamers are definitely loaded with corn syrup solids. Here again, you're better off using real cream instead of milk or non-dairy creamers.

Which brings me to the labels! Check the labels of everything you eat, and avoid anything with a high carbohydrate count, as well as everything containing HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), corn syrup or corn syrup solids. Actually, it's good to avoid commercially processed foods if you can . . . there's just no telling what all has been added to them.

I'm going to stop for breath now, and let some others have room, but just try to relax and

take care,

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Welcome to the forum! There are people here that are a wealth of good advice. Many of us have been living with diabetes for years. It is definitely not a death sentence. I am not going to sugar coat it....uncontrolled diabetes for a period of time can cause many serious complications. Some complications will improve with control, some not...so it is important to take care of yourself!

If you dont mind, maybe you can share some of your numbers with us so maybe we can help better. Do you have a blood glucose meter? It is extremely important to test, and test often so you know exactly where your numbers are so you can see how to better get them in control. In the beginning sometimes its better to test more often, until you get an idea of how your diet is affecting your blood sugar. Its good to test when waking up in the morning and you have been fasting, before meals and at least 2 hours after meals. A good goal to have is that your blood sugar be back to acceptable levels at least 2 hours after you eat. This is a good way to tell what foods you eat that are causing big jumps in your blood sugar.

I will mirror what Shanny was saying before....its all about the carbs. It isnt just "sweets" you need to avoid....but that loaded baked potato might as well be a piece of chocolate cake! Carbohydrates are sugar. As soon as you eat them they are quickly broken down by the body into glucose. Your body needs some carbs for energy. Our cells need glucose for energy. But too many carbs for a diabetic and their bodies just cant handle it. We are either not producing any or enough insulin...or we are producing enough but our bodies can not use it properly to move glucose into the cells. Either way it spells too high of a glucose concentration in the blood. Its that high glucose in the blood that spells so much trouble for the body and wreaks havoc on it causing all sorts of complications.

You might be surprised to find that something you thought was healthy for you, in reality isnt. You do need some carbs. But you are better off eating "slow carbs". Meaning carbs that are broken down slowly in the body and not producing those sharp blood glucose spikes. Avoid "white foods"...processed sugar, white flour, white bread, pasta, white rice, white potatoes....you get the idea. I eat whole grain breads. Many people enjoy whole grain pasta. I dont care for it...I will eat regular pasta....but no more than about 1/2 cup of it. Check your labels...look for the listing that says Total Carbohydrates....thats the one you want to pay attention to. Everyone is different on the amount of carbs they can handle. What works for me may not work for you. I stay to about 30-45 carbs per meal plus a 15g carb snack at some point if I want it. Some people cant handle that much. Thats where testing comes in and it so important. See what works for you!

I managed mine on oral meds for years. I resisted going on insulin for a long tme...now that I do take it..I wish I had given in and started it a *long time* ago. I feel so much better now and once your numbers are better you will amazed at how much better you feel too!

Let us know how you are doing and if we can answer something or just listen to you rant we are happy to do so. They listen to me rant and be frustrated a lot :eek:)

You can do this! No fear! :eek:)

Cheers
Pam

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
For millions of diabetics insulin is a life saver, it is the only way they can have a healthy life. I have used insulin for 64 years, starting in 1945 when I was 6. I would have died before I was 7 if there had been no insulin.

Whole grain bread is a good choice, but I eat low carb whole grain, only 8 carbs per slice. I also eat oatmeal bread, 8 carbs per slice. Low carb is very important to me. There is also whole grain pasta, but I eat very small portions. I do not eat oatmeal, it gives me high blood sugar every time. I totally avoid all cereals, even whole grain cereals.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Scrimbles, I understand where you're coming from - I have anxieties about diabetes too, so you're not alone with that. Just think of the advantages of insulin, and see if that will help your mind.

I think for me I needed a good scare to motivate me to really kick myself into a better habit. Working so far. Hope it works for you too.

stripes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First of all, I would like to thank you all for the warm welcome and kind words.

As far as my numbers go, I am almost embarrased to post them.. but. Lord knows what they were before the doc threw me on all these meds, but I have been consistantly in the 200's for the past week, only this morning did I wake up with a fasting level of 171 (im sure some of you are cringing at the number, but to be quite honest I am happy as a clam) i view this as progress, I did not expect my numbers to drop overnight, but the first day of taking my fasting sugar it was 280something. I have pretty much shocked my system I'm sure.

My girlfriend and I walked 2 laps of the local track last night and we will be back out there doing it again tonight.

At 9 AM i had 2 scrambled eggs and 2 strips of bacon, ill check my sugar at 11AM...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
First of all, I would like to thank you all for the warm welcome and kind words.

As far as my numbers go, I am almost embarrased to post them.. but. Lord knows what they were before the doc threw me on all these meds, but I have been consistantly in the 200's for the past week, only this morning did I wake up with a fasting level of 171 (im sure some of you are cringing at the number, but to be quite honest I am happy as a clam) i view this as progress, I did not expect my numbers to drop overnight, but the first day of taking my fasting sugar it was 280something. I have pretty much shocked my system I'm sure.

My girlfriend and I walked 2 laps of the local track last night and we will be back out there doing it again tonight.

At 9 AM i had 2 scrambled eggs and 2 strips of bacon, ill check my sugar at 11AM...
Don't be embarassed, we have all had our "dark times"! 2 months ago I was *so* out of control my AIC was a dismal 12.6 and I was averaging 350-400! Its amazing I still have feet and can still see :) Now, 2 months later..I am still not perfect but my numbers are usually within range set for me. I was 110 when I got home from work this morning. I got my insulin pump delivered to me this week and I am looking forward to going to pump class the first week of April so I can start using it and getting even better in control!

You are absolutely right...that is progress! Especially if you have been uncontrolled for a long time it can take awhile for your numbers to come down. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will steadily see progress. Mine took forever to come down but all of sudden one day it just started dropping. You are on the right track (pun intended). Good job and keep us posted!

Cheers
Pam

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
You have the right attitude Scrimbles. With a low carb diet and exercise you should consistently improve. Keep it up!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good morning, Scrimbles! Happy to see you again! Your breakfast sounds like a winner - hope your 11am reading reflects that. I've come to enjoy my bacon/eggs even though I don't have toast/muffins/bagels with it anymore. I used to think I couldn't live without bread - well that's certainly been proven as untrue! heheh

There are some delicious substitutes for toasts, crackers, etc., and the one I'm presently hooked on is cheese crisps. Just place parchment paper on a cookie sheet & bake slices of your favorite cheese. It take about 10/15 minutes in a 350° oven. A slice of cheese makes a good-size crisp - more the size of a corn tortilla - so if you want 'em more chip-size, just use small flat piles of shredded cheese or cut the slices into quarters before baking. I've made cheddar, longhorn colby, pepper jack, provolone . . . they all make great crisps, good for eating just plain or dipped in guacamole, etc., and absolutely NO CARBS! Wheeee! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i just checked in at 181, im assuming a rise of 10 is not too bad for having eaten and drinking a few cups of black coffee. For the record, I will not be posting everytime I bloodcheck :).

Anywho, does the parchment paper prohibit the cheese from melting, and sort of crispening up? That sounds yummy.

I can't thank all of you enough for your responses and suggestions, I hope to gradually become a contributing part of this community.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
All the parchment paper does is keep it from gluing to the pan. I forgot the paper one time & actually bent the stainless steel spatula getting 'em unglued! I've heard that Reynolds-Release non-stick foil also works, but regular foil or waxed paper does NOT work.

Good luck - they're delicious . . . I just made a big bowl of guacamole & it's gonna be my lunch with a coupla pepper jack crisps.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Well i just checked in at 181, im assuming a rise of 10 is not too bad for having eaten and drinking a few cups of black coffee. For the record, I will not be posting everytime I bloodcheck :).

You are doing it the right way :D If you drop your numbers TOO fast you can damage blood capillaries, (IE in the eyes) you also run the risk of going to low. better to get a handle on how it all works and continue to lower the BG.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks Moderators and Senior Members

This site is a valuable resource and I just wanted to say thank you for your contributions. I have been here just a few days and learned a lot. Thanks for your responses. With experience, I will pay it forward.

(off topic to Pam . . .)

Yea for your pump!!! You go, girl! :cheer2:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
This site is a valuable resource and I just wanted to say thank you for your contributions. I have been here just a few days and learned a lot. Thanks for your responses. With experience, I will pay it forward.
This site is great I agree. It has been a really great resource for me for information, tips and just generally lending an empathetic ear when I need to vent my frustration! Thats what we are all here for....sometimes you just have to lean on people that really know what you are going through :)

Cheers
Pam

1 - 15 of 15 Posts