The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
... DP = Dawn Phenomenon, for those who don't know - it's a dumping from the liver of glucose into the system in the morning, likely as a result of hormonal activity - it really messes up some of our morning numbers...

So, I slept in a little this morning (I like to sleep 6 hours, then test. Today I slept from 1am to 9am ... 8 hours, so 2 extra...) and tested a 6.7 mmol/L (121) - when all this week my numbers were trending back downward - I was expecting low 5's (under 100).

Generally the first thing I do is eat, to avoid further spikes - I find if I don't eat it just keeps rising.

So I thought, "I wonder if exercise will temper that rise, as well as breakfast?" and a test was born.

I've never exercised w/o breakfast since being diagnosed, just fyi.

So, I got changed, grabbed my towel, water-bottle and testing kit - and headed downstairs to the treadmill.

2 minutes warmup, then slow jog (5.5mph) for 3 minutes. I decided to try testing every 5 minutes by jogging, then slowing to a walk for the test, then speeding up for the jog again until the next test.

Testing results (Time, Reading, My thoughts in italics...):

0911 - 6.7 mmol/L, 121 mg/dl (just after I woke up)
0926 - started treadmill
0931 - 6.2 mmol/L, 112 mg/dl (not bad)
0935 - 6.1 mmol/L, 110 mg/dl (wow, holding steady)
0940 - 7.2 mmol/L, 130 mg/dl (hmm... wonder if the rise is a trend)
0945 - 7.3 mmol/L, 132 mg/dl (still high, wondering if it's climbing?)
0951 - 7.9 mmol/L, 142 mg/dl (OK, climbing, unless that's a fluke...)
0954 - 9.4 mmol/L, 169 mg/dl (Holy crap, cool-down and get off time...)

Spent three minutes cooling down and got off. Toweled off a bit more and got myself a protein shake with some raspberries in it.

1011 - 9.3 mmol/L, 167 mg/dl (Grr... hope I'm not up here too long...)

Yup, only 25 minutes after I started and it was shooting up past the 7.8 (140) danger mark. And kept rising...

FYI, when I do other exercise - whether it be cycling or body-weight resistance training, I do NOT experience similar highs - I spike up into the low 7's (around 130) until I burn glucose back into the 4's (70-80), then repeat the process. So I know it's not just what exercise does to me, even though some people react by spiking.

So for me, anyway, exercise on an empty stomach is out.

I do, for whatever reason, enjoy doing some of these tests...

Quick Edit: 1024 - 9.1 mmol/L, 164 mg/dl so slowly moving down it seems...

Reactions: PC76 and d33na

·
Registered
741 Posts
Oh I think it's necessary to test and experiment...how else do we learn? Plus it's BIG fun lol

G

·
Yup, I've seen the same thing. Early on I figured I'd ride my bike in on days when I needed to have lab work (fasting Glucose, A1C, etc.), I figured that would drop my FBG and make my numbers look better :eek:
However, the opposite would happen. I'd see that my FBG was around 90 when I got up, but around 110-115 when the lab checked it.
Initially I though my meter wasn't very accurate, so the next time I went in I used my meter at the lab immediately before having the blood drawn, and the readings would be fairly close.

I asked my endo about this and he said that when you exercise your liver dumps glucose into your blood to supply the muscles. If you do this during the dawn phenomenon it can cause an acute rise in BG.

So now I drive in on days I need to have lab work.

FWIW when I exercise in the afternoon/evening I get the opposite effect and see my BG drop down into th 60s

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I wish I had more strips to do similar experiments. I know the longer I sleep in the higher my bgs are. They tend to go up at least 10 points an hour. But occassionally I don't feel like eating and just start my day and decide to test about 2 hours after I wake up and will see 130-140 bgs, a 40 point spike without eating. So with me I think anything will spike my bgs at that time of day without eating. It almost seems like I need foods, especially fat and protein to jumpstart my insulin output. Before Diabetes I routinely would skip breakfast, because I was never hungry and then go off an play 2 hours of tennis. I just cringe now thinking what I was doing to my bgs back then.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... and for what it's worth - at 1230 I tested at 5.5 mmol/L (99 mg/dl) so things improved prior to lunch time.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I read somewhere that tests from blood drawn from a vein is approximately 10% higher than one from a fingertip. My doctor's office doesn't seem to care and sometimes pricks a finger and others just takes a drop from the vein-draw. If they used vein blood, that could also explain the difference.

Yup, I've seen the same thing. Early on I figured I'd ride my bike in on days when I needed to have lab work (fasting Glucose, A1C, etc.), I figured that would drop my FBG and make my numbers look better :eek:
However, the opposite would happen. I'd see that my FBG was around 90 when I got up, but around 110-115 when the lab checked it.
Initially I though my meter wasn't very accurate, so the next time I went in I used my meter at the lab immediately before having the blood drawn, and the readings would be fairly close.

I asked my endo about this and he said that when you exercise your liver dumps glucose into your blood to supply the muscles. If you do this during the dawn phenomenon it can cause an acute rise in BG.

So now I drive in on days I need to have lab work.

FWIW when I exercise in the afternoon/evening I get the opposite effect and see my BG drop down into th 60s

G

·
I read somewhere that tests from blood drawn from a vein is approximately 10% higher than one from a fingertip. My doctor's office doesn't seem to care and sometimes pricks a finger and others just takes a drop from the vein-draw. If they used vein blood, that could also explain the difference.
I'd read something similar, that the glucose meters are designed for finger tip capilary blood and could give false readings when you measure the blood from other areas.

So I always do a finger stick for the meter.

The guys at the lab tell me that many other diabetics just use some blood from where they draw it at the vein. :der:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Okay, since we are discussing DP here, if you are the type of diabetic who has extreme difficulty with DP, what do you do when you have to go to the lab to get blood work done on a fast? Of course that glucose number is going to be high because of the DP, and of course the longer you have to wait at the lab for that draw it is just continuing to increase because you cannot eat anything to stop the spiking. So what do you do? DP can of course affect how your numbers turn out, but you could be going the rest of the day fine as can be. So again, what does one do when they have extreme DP and nothing seems to work in getting it down?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, since we are discussing DP here, if you are the type of diabetic who has extreme difficulty with DP, what do you do when you have to go to the lab to get blood work done on a fast? Of course that glucose number is going to be high because of the DP, and of course the longer you have to wait at the lab for that draw it is just continuing to increase because you cannot eat anything to stop the spiking. So what do you do? DP can of course affect how your numbers turn out, but you could be going the rest of the day fine as can be. So again, what does one do when they have extreme DP and nothing seems to work in getting it down?
What you do is you do NOT rely on a fasting glucose reading as a measurement of "how you're doing" overall.

For those with DP, an HbA1c is a much better marker of overall diabetes control.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
If you would like to work out in the morning, you may want to test out different types of exercise. Higher intensity / cardio can often cause your BG to go up for a bit. Maybe try keeping the intensity lower with moderate paced walking, or resistance training (e.g. wall push ups, squats). Low intensity in this case means no sweating, no huffing/puffing, heart rate should be around 55% of your max.

I'm not saying that it will work for you but you may see different results. If you do more tests, please report back! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Why

I think part of what causes blood sugar to rise is that we do not have the higher insulin levels needed to burn off the glucose. Dawning being both that our liver dumps sugar during the night and whatever insulin level/Insulin resistance is not enough to counteract it. Rehab folks will not a allow a diabetic to exercise if their BG is above a particular level.

We also all have been told that exercise will reduce insulin sensitivity as well as burn BG.

Obviously there is a lot of individual variation in this. Plus a diff with the meds a person is using, T1 versus T2. And our last food was, when.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts