The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys,

As I mentioned on the other thread had some tests today

I was scheduled for my tests next month (which was three months from my DX) but I decided to get the tests done today out of curiousity. There were lots of good news for me but also one peice of bad news, which I have a feeling, may be serious

The Good is :D:D:D

1. HbA1c has dropped from 12.7 August 15th to 6.8 today (October 17)

2. Total Cholestrol dropped from 243 to 195

3. LDL dropped from 186 to 123

4. HDL increased from 29 to 34

5. Triglicirides dropped from 232 to 197

6. Fasting today at the lab was 95 (against the 248 at Dx)

Now as mentioned these numbers were at 2 months. I am hoping that the three month mark will get me in the 5% club in HbA1c and lower my Cholestrol further. The LC/HF diet is working

Now here is the bad news which has spoilt my party:mad::mad::mad:

1. Protein detected in Urine. It says Protein Detected (+). There was no protein 2 months back.

Does this mean my kidneys are being effected ?

I have been eating a lot of Chicken, chick peas and legumes lately (which are high in protein). In addition I've been having chicken sausages and eggs everyday. Maybe I've gone overboard with the protein.

Infact I had a subway salad last night which had both chicken (high in protein) as well as Tuna (again decent protein content).

I just hope my kidneys are not going bad

Tony

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
When you're good, you're very VERY good! :D And those are good numbers, Tony!

If the results say protein was "detected", I'd almost take it to mean there's a trace, but not a high concentration. This is something to research further with your doc, and if you feel the need to cut back on the chicken, go ahead - just remember to replace it with fat.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Tony, when you have good news - you have great news. That's fantastic. So much hard work and dedication paying off in short order. CONGRATS!

As for the protein, it's something I need to cut down on also. It's so tempting to overeat it when cutting carbs vs getting more fat in our diet. The fact it was detected could mean such a trace amount though you'll obviously be following this with your doc.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your comments guys !

Do you recommend I take these results (esp the protein issue) to my doctor right away or do you think I should wait as I have an appointment with my doctor on November 15th. I will be getting the tests done again on November 14th.

I think I had it figured with my diet. Going toreduce my protein consumption a bit going forward...

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Congrats on the great numbers, Tony! I expect great things next time around (5% club!!!!). Did you get other numbers as well...such as EGFR (MDRD); Fibrinogen, Creatinine etc...?

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Tony, I would phone your doc and let him know, then let him make the call.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Tony great results, keep us posted once youve seen your Doc, hugs & prayers

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey Tony, Well Done on your blood work!! IT really shows how much effort you have put on it!!

I am doing my "hba1c" in Nov 23.. Hopefully I can do as well as you!!

Looking at your results have inspire a lot of us here..

Well Done & Congrats!!!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Tony, Well Done on your blood work!! IT really shows how much effort you have put on it!!

I am doing my "hba1c" in Nov 23.. Hopefully I can do as well as you!!

Looking at your results have inspire a lot of us here..

Well Done & Congrats!!!
Thanks JT and Others !

I was really happy with my BG results. Infact from 5 PM yesterday (when I got the report) I was dancing and singing. Then at 10 PM before I put up my results on the forum I looked at my reports again and saw the protien. And all the excitement went poof !! What the hell.

Lets see what the doctor has to say !

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Congrats on the great numbers, Tony! I expect great things next time around (5% club!!!!). Did you get other numbers as well...such as EGFR (MDRD); Fibrinogen, Creatinine etc...?
Hey CD, Thanks

I also have a "MICROALBUMINURIA, URINE" test for which I should be getting the report today.

Will take these to my doctor and see if he orders more tests...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I had given another sample of my urine this morning.

Urine Analysis
"Protein: Not detected"

MAU report

The other test of which I got the report was the MAU/Creatinine ratio.

Results are
MAU = High 90 (range < 20)
Creatinine = 255 (no range mentioned)
Ratio (MAU/Creatinine) = High 35 (Range < 30)

I just pulled out my reports from 2 months back (at time of DX). At that time the same report said
MAU = High 31 (ideal range < 20)
Creatinine = 331 (no range mentioned)
Ratio (MAU/Creatinine) = High 96.2 (should be 9.62, calculation error) (ideal range <30)

That time the doctor encircled the above numbers and wrote, "Leak of protein probably due to high HbA1C"

---------------------

I think I will continue what I am doing (low carbing and exercising), reduce protein a bit in my diet, and test again in 28 days and go to the doctor with my complete results

Also I am supposed to not do any heavy exercise upto 24 hours before this test. But last night I did my elliptical for 70 minutes and walked 3 km which was about 8-10 hours before my test this morning. Next time I wont exercise for 36 hours.....

Reactions: Chadha

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I had given another sample of my urine this morning.

Urine Analysis
"Protein: Not detected"

MAU report

The other test of which I got the report was the MAU/Creatinine ratio.

Results are
MAU = High 90 (range < 20)
Creatinine = 255 (no range mentioned)
Ratio (MAU/Creatinine) = High 35 (Range < 30)

I just pulled out my reports from 2 months back (at time of DX). At that time the same report said
MAU = High 319 (ideal range < 20)
Creatinine = 331 (no range mentioned)
Ratio (MAU/Creatinine) = High 96.2 (ideal range <30)

That time the doctor encircled the above numbers and wrote, "Leak of protein probably due to high HbA1C"
So I realised last night that my MAU was infact 319 in August(2 months back) and the MAU/Creatinine ratio was infact 96.2. There was a difference in the units in the two reports (was from different labs).

Which means there was high protein even two months back in my urine, but my doctor was not concerned and has written "Leak of protein probably due to high HbA1C"

So this means that my
1. MAU has actually dropped from 319 to 90 (reference range is <30)
2. MAU/ Creatinine ratio has dropped from 92.6 to 35.5 (reference range is <30)

Though things have dropped, I dont think I am in the clear yet on this thing. I also had a Kidney Function Test in August which came out normal.

Anyways I luckily got an appointment from my doctor (endo) today at 4 PM. Lets see what he says.

Will update you guys in the evening.

PS: Since I was more relaxed last night my fasting fell back under 100 today. Fasting was 97 and 2 hr post breakfast was 104

·
Banned
158 Posts
I don't believe the protein in your urine is a result of the LC/HF diet. The measure of your dietary protein is the test called "Total Protein" which is reported as part of a "Comprehensive Metabolic Panel" (CMP). The reason I know this is because I have historically had a problem with NOT eating enough protein and my Doc was constantly watching my "Total Protein" in the CMP section of my lab results. He would circle that and tell me eat more protein.

Now, at the same time, I would have Protein in my urine. Like your Doc, mine would tell me that is from my elevated BGs. So, it is possible to eat very low protein and still have protein spilling out into your urine if you have elevated BGs.

You are also on the right track with watching your Microalbumin to creatine urine test. Ask your doctor to do the 24-hour urine collection method of this test b/c it gives a more comprehensive picture than the random urine test.
However, if I'm reading all your info correctly, it sounds like your ratio of Microalbumin to Creatine is DECREASING, so it's not likely that you have any kidney damage. You caught it in time. :) As long as your Ha1c's keep decreasing, your kidneys should be fine.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't believe the protein in your urine is a result of the LC/HF diet. The measure of your dietary protein is the test called "Total Protein" which is reported as part of a "Comprehensive Metabolic Panel" (CMP). The reason I know this is because I have historically had a problem with NOT eating enough protein and my Doc was constantly watching my "Total Protein" in the CMP section of my lab results. He would circle that and tell me eat more protein.

Now, at the same time, I would have Protein in my urine. Like your Doc, mine would tell me that is from my elevated BGs. So, it is possible to eat very low protein and still have protein spilling out into your urine if you have elevated BGs.

You are also on the right track with watching your Microalbumin to creatine urine test. Ask your doctor to do the 24-hour urine collection method of this test b/c it gives a more comprehensive picture than the random urine test.
However, if I'm reading all your info correctly, it sounds like your ratio of Microalbumin to Creatine is DECREASING, so it's not likely that you have any kidney damage. You caught it in time. :) As long as your Ha1c's keep decreasing, your kidneys should be fine.
Thanks MsTCB,

I'm in a far better position since I was two days back. Last night when I did realise the ratio was actually dropping I could calm myself down.

Your message has also helped my relax further. I will get my HbA1C down and keep it there. I am determined to do that... No matter what happens

Thanks again !

Reactions: MsTCB

·
Banned
158 Posts
Thanks MsTCB,

I'm in a far better position since I was two days back. Last night when I did realise the ratio was actually dropping I could calm myself down.

Your message has also helped my relax further. I will get my HbA1C down and keep it there. I am determined to do that... No matter what happens

Thanks again !
I'm rooting for you!! I'm in the same situation you are in and feel the same way.

You are doing an amazing job!! Congrats!!:target:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Just back from the doctor

Well the doctor said nothing other than what all of you guys told me :)

He said :-

1. While the MAU number is falling which is good, the ratio is more important and that has come down from 96.2 to 35. He said, "I'm not worried"

2. He said, "You dont have nephropathy. It is very common to see high protein in urine with a high HbA1c and once Hba1c is kept below 6 for a few months the protein leak goes away. You can still have a 24 hr test done after a month, with your other tests and come for your regular Appointment"

3. He was (happy) shocked with the drop in my hba1c and cholestrol in 2 months.

4. Another good news is that my BP was normal at 120/70. My BP was usually always normal (130/80) except my previous reading which was 14 days after dx. That day I was at 150/90. The doctor had then said, it was because I was too "anxious & stressed"

5. On the question of the protein in my diet. He said there is no reason why I should have less or more protein than what I am supposed to be eating in a normal diet and the dietary protein should not have an impact on the MAU

6. He was kind of okay with the Low Carb/ High Fat diet. He said "As long as you are loosing weight and your reports are good, I dont care how you do it". He said he has doubts on how I will sustain this diet on a long term basis. He felt a normal high fibre home cooked Indian meal was enough on a long term.

So now, back to what I've been doing. Getting my Diabetes under control and loosing more weight, The doctor said if I loose another 20 kgs I wont have to see him for another 10 years. Guess what ??....... I'm going to loose 30 !

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
So y'think you'll be able to calm down & stop worrying, Tony?! You have a good handle on this - you're good to go!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So y'think you'll be able to calm down & stop worrying, Tony?! You have a good handle on this - you're good to go!
Thanks Shanny. I've stopped already :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Just back from the doctor

Well the doctor said nothing other than what all of you guys told me :)

He said :-

1. While the MAU number is falling which is good, the ratio is more important and that has come down from 96.2 to 35. He said, "I'm not worried"

2. He said, "You dont have nephropathy. It is very common to see high protein in urine with a high HbA1c and once Hba1c is kept below 6 for a few months the protein leak goes away. You can still have a 24 hr test done after a month, with your other tests and come for your regular Appointment"

3. He was (happy) shocked with the drop in my hba1c and cholestrol in 2 months.

4. Another good news is that my BP was normal at 120/70. My BP was usually always normal (130/80) except my previous reading which was 14 days after dx. That day I was at 150/90. The doctor had then said, it was because I was too "anxious & stressed"

5. On the question of the protein in my diet. He said there is no reason why I should have less or more protein than what I am supposed to be eating in a normal diet and the dietary protein should not have an impact on the MAU

6. He was kind of okay with the Low Carb/ High Fat diet. He said "As long as you are loosing weight and your reports are good, I dont care how you do it". He said he has doubts on how I will sustain this diet on a long term basis. He felt a normal high fibre home cooked Indian meal was enough on a long term.

So now, back to what I've been doing. Getting my Diabetes under control and loosing more weight, The doctor said if I loose another 20 kgs I wont have to see him for another 10 years. Guess what ??....... I'm going to loose 30 !

Great news Tony so pleased for you :target:

Reactions: Dura
1 - 20 of 22 Posts