The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do Test strip readings vary by each box? I am not taking any meds and my numbers are in the pre diabetes stage.

My One Touch test strips are now showing 100 as my 12 hour morning fasting readings. Two months ago using a different box of test strips I was at around 96.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Test strips can have up to a 20% variation. The difference between 100 and 96 is statistically insignificant when it comes to testing, as you could test twice on the same prick and get those two readings. Unfortunately, test strips are not an exact science, but an imprecise general measurement that is the best we've got, yet still serves us well when viewed in perspective.

Also, strips are very sensitive to environmental issues. A little heat or moisture contamination can throw them off. I had a batch a couple of months ago that suddenly gave error readings. To my mind I had done nothing different - kept them in my nightstand as usual, closed the vial immediately after getting out a strip, etc. I called Accu-chek as I thought it was a bad batch. They had me punch whatever for diagnosis, and said it showed there had been a moisture issue. Only thing I could figure is after I washed my hands, they weren't =completely= dry and residual dampness had contaminated the whole lot. Accu-check sent me another batch as a goodwill gesture, and I'm now neurotically careful w/ my strips!

That said, your average could be inching up a tad - good that you're monitoring closely.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have been wanting to ask this question as well. I had been getting fasting readings in the 80s and low 90s. I opened a new vile and Ever since my readings have been in the low 100s. I only have a few more strips left before a new batch. I am hoping that my readings go back to the low 80s.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
BG testing is really a snapshot in time. If you tested 10 different fingers you will get 10 very different numbers. All meters have a margin of error. I have about 5 different meters and they all test differently. When I switched from One Touch to Bayer Contour I found a 20-30 point variance. The US government allows up to a 20% margin of error and still says they are safe. So I take the readings with a grain of salt.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Also, while not mentioned by doctors, don't forget to do your control tests when changing test strip lots. This will show any different baselines between lots. Just follow the directions for your meter and you will be good to go!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BG testing is really a snapshot in time. If you tested 10 different fingers you will get 10 very different numbers. All meters have a margin of error. I have about 5 different meters and they all test differently. When I switched from One Touch to Bayer Contour I found a 20-30 point variance. The US government allows up to a 20% margin of error and still says they are safe. So I take the readings with a grain of salt.
Since I am in pre diabetes stage I dont get insurance coverage for test strips. Currently spend around $50 for my One Touch 50 strips with CVS discount that only comes around every 2 months. What are other meters with cheaper test strips that I can use???

I will not get test strips covered under insurance because I am officially not diabetes according to my doctors.

During the last year my readings with no diabetes meds: A1C1 average around 5.9, Latest fasting around 100, 1.5 hour readings average 114, with and without high carb meals including buffets. Worst readings are the 5 to 30 minute ones if having real high carbs that can take me up to 205 around 5 minutes after a high carb meal. The other night I had around 35 carbs and the 5 minute reading was 136.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Since I am in pre diabetes stage I dont get insurance coverage for test strips. Currently spend around $50 for my One Touch 50 strips with CVS discount that only comes around every 2 months. What are other meters with cheaper test strips that I can use???

I will not get test strips covered under insurance because I am officially not diabetes according to my doctors.

During the last year my readings with no diabetes meds: A1C1 average around 5.9, Latest fasting around 100, 1.5 hour readings average 114, with and without high carb meals including buffets. Worst readings are the 5 to 30 minute ones if having real high carbs that can take me up to 205 around 5 minutes after a high carb meal. The other night I had around 35 carbs and the 5 minute reading was 136.
I don't know if you live in the U.S., but the Wal-Mart Relion brand of meter and test strips are way cheaper than other brands.

Relion blood glucose meter and strips - Walmart.com

I've found the Relion meters to be just as accurate as any of the others that I have used. Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know if you live in the U.S., but the Wal-Mart Relion brand of meter and test strips are way cheaper than other brands.

Relion blood glucose meter and strips - Walmart.com

I've found the Relion meters to be just as accurate as any of the others that I have used. Good Luck to you.
If I am reading that web site correctly they are only charging $36 for 100 test strips. One touch is charging almost $100 more! And two of you are saying it has the same quality as One Touch. I wonder if this is too good to be true and will find out when I buy the Relion meter and strips.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If I am reading that web site correctly they are only charging $36 for 100 test strips. One touch is charging almost $100 more! And two of you are saying it has the same quality as One Touch. I wonder if this is too good to be true and will find out when I buy the Relion meter and strips.
The Relion meters aren't fancy like the One-Touch meters. They are just plain, but in my opinion, they are just as good and accurate. I would rather have a little extra money in my pocket than in the pockets of Life Scan company.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
When I was buying my own I used the Walgreens meters/strips. They worked just fine just didnt have download capability that my New one does. But hey, if the insurance wants a specific meter/strip combo and it's what the doc says to use, it's what I use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts