The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Difficult to say. Would you be able to assess how much off actual BG they are, even if you do use them. If yes then you might as well use them. Then again, if you have to throw them away, you might as well use them for whatever they are worth.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I would test one against a newer strip and see what the difference is. I have used expired strips and they were fine. I got some free meters from Bayer and left them unopened for about a year and didn't realise there were free strips in them. The strips were fine when I used them.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
You think strips 6 mo. out of date still in Original pkg would be any good? I got 2 boxes and was wondering if okay to use
I've got an Accu-Chek and reading the user guide, one of the error messages appears to suggest that it won't work with out of date strips. If that's the case and it mattered, I'd simply change the date in the meter - I can't believe it's got a built in radio signal to verify against :)

The issue with old strips might be where and how they have been stored. If that's OK, I doubt that they magically self destruct on the use by date! As jwags says though, it's probably worth cross checking against a newer strip for consistency.

John

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've used strips way past their expiry dates, and had no indication that they were out by much. You might as well give them a try rather than just throwing them away.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I've also used expired strips in the past and had no problems. However if you are worried about it, get some test solution and test one from the batch to make sure it is in range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.