The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 year old has constantly bugged me to check her blood sugar, not because anything was wrong, but out of curiouosity.

I have 7 children and they always come running when I test.

Well, I finally gave in and tested my 9 year old, about 5 hours after she had eaten a pizza. I was kind of surprised to see a 146 on the meter, so I checked again, this time 143. I got another meter out to be sure, and this time it was 133.

I am obviously concerned now, but will remain optomistic that it is a fluke borderline high until a doctors test says otherwise, but it has certainly gotten my wife and I's attention. We will now have our children's doctor check them all. She has not demonstrated any symptoms.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Welcome to DF. :D
I wouldn't be too worried as that seems to be good as pizza is a big carb and lasts quite a while. Have another test 2 hours after the last bite. See that it don't go below 50. ;)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Well pizza is indeed no prize, but I do check my kids regularly, too. AND I have them all on Vitamin D!

I am a 1.5, but they are international adoptees and each one is at higher risk for diabetes, by ethnicity. No harm in checking, and also it helps our kids understand our own condition, better.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Warren, I don;t think that sounds high if you tested very soon after a meal. Thhe bread in the pizza will cause a high for all of us, even nondiabetics. I agree with Peter, testing two hours after a meal is a better measure. Testing in the morning before your children eat anything is a very good time to determine if there may be some unusually high blood sugar present. A nondiabetic should have a good number at that time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update. Her A1C test came back with a 5.2. Same as mine, except she eats like a non diabetic. It was very good news.:)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Boy, I'll say! Great news! Thanks, Warren, for coming back to update us too . . . you must be one really relieved dad!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
That is wonderful Warren! Your daughter seems be OK now. That is great.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hey thanks Warren for the return on results with the good news. :bounce:

·
Registered
55 Posts
just another thought here that I didn't see addressed that is in particular important to remember with kids.....wash their hands before checking. If by chance you didn't get her to wash her hands before you satisfied her curiosity, your results may have been due to residue on her hands from the last thing she ate. I just did this to myself this morning and almost panicked before I washed my hands and re-tested. On another note I always found that pizza spiked my blood sugar levels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts