The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been making tons of changes in my diet and really buckling down on my intake because I have diabetes but don't want to head the insulin route. I noted my sugars have been out of control lately and literally tested everything I put in my mouth.

Culprit was sugar free Torani syrup and non dairy creamer with 0 grams of sugar (on the label).

I used my glucose meter to test all my bottles of Torani and they were testing 500 - 700. I just dipped the strip into the Torani.

Does this mean that Torani is lying or something. I'm more angry than anything but aren't all sugar free products supposed to test at LO or 0?

The only flavor that tested at LO was the vanilla. The raspberry, caramel, and hazelnut were all amazing numbers.

I can't be mad at the creamer because it didn't say it was sugar free, but Torani DOES.

I have a brand new meter with a healthy battery. I called Torani and they acted like I didn't understand what sugar free meant. "It doesn't have any sugar ma'am, its made with Splenda! It just tastes sweet but no sugar is in it! Call your doctor and ask her to tell you what sugar free is! If your diabetes is not controlled tell your doctor!"

*sigh*

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Have you actually tested you blood after having eaten these syrups? That's the test I always do. It never occurred to me to put a stick in the product itself. You're trying to avoid the rise in BG, and if you can eat them without it causing a rise in BG, then you're good to go.

The non-dairy creamer will get you every time though— it's nothing but fake food—full of carbs like corn syrup solids & trans fats like hydrogenated vegetable oil. Steer as far around it as you can - use real cream instead.

Welcome to DF!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
its not sugar that is the culprit... its carbs, and sugar is a carb. many "sugar free" products have MORE carbs than the regular sugary product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Shanny.

I read the label it says 1g carbohydrate. Something is wrong...

I'm glad you said that because I always hater fake dairy. Was forcing myself to have it with my coffee to be healthier but i'll take full cream any day.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I don't think putting a test strip into a food will work. Dr. Bernstein used to do something similar but he used those old-fashioned strips which were used for testing for sugar in urine. He would put the food in his mouth and chew it mixing it with saliva. Then, he would test this mixture with the urine test strips. Supposedly, this works and could detect hidden carbs in restaurant foods but I really doubt if attempting a glucometer reading of foods directly means anything.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've been making tons of changes in my diet and really buckling down on my intake because I have diabetes but don't want to head the insulin route. I noted my sugars have been out of control lately and literally tested everything I put in my mouth.

Culprit was sugar free Torani syrup and non dairy creamer with 0 grams of sugar (on the label).

I used my glucose meter to test all my bottles of Torani and they were testing 500 - 700. I just dipped the strip into the Torani.

Does this mean that Torani is lying or something. I'm more angry than anything but aren't all sugar free products supposed to test at LO or 0?

The only flavor that tested at LO was the vanilla. The raspberry, caramel, and hazelnut were all amazing numbers.

I can't be mad at the creamer because it didn't say it was sugar free, but Torani DOES.

I have a brand new meter with a healthy battery. I called Torani and they acted like I didn't understand what sugar free meant. "It doesn't have any sugar ma'am, its made with Splenda! It just tastes sweet but no sugar is in it! Call your doctor and ask her to tell you what sugar free is! If your diabetes is not controlled tell your doctor!"

*sigh*
I'm not sure that I understand exactly how you were testing for the sugars? If I am getting you right, you were dipping your glucose testing strip into the creamer like you would be testing your own blood?

I can see why it would read upwards of 700 then!

The best way I know how to test an item is to eat it, then test your blood sugar to know what the spike will be. That is the most accurate test. It's like a science experiment.

If it is sweetened with Splenda, then you are looking at a sugar byproduct. I suggest finding yourself some Stevia instead, or even going without sweetening your coffee if you are worried about the sugar spike.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I was wondering about those syrups. I saw them for $3. big bottle too. I just didn't know how they where.

I was told that I could use coffeemate & not so much on the high calarie Cream. My morning ## shot up like crazy.

I am back to Heavy cream.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I've used the Torani and Davinci syrup for years and they never spike my bgs. When you say your bgs are out of control, what exactly does that mean. Can you give us specific fasting and after meal numbers. One thing you need to realsise is many of us suffer from Dawn Phenomenom in the morning. This is very little to do with what we eat. Actually the less we eat in the morning the more our bgs will go up from stress hormones. Mornings when I just have black coffee I will spike higher than mornings I actually eat a full breakfast. As Salim said I'm not sure dipping strips in the Torani would work. You would have to do before meal and after meal bg tests on your blood. What meds are you currently on. If you are eating low carb, exercising and bgs are still high you may want to consider Insulin. It is not a failure to go on it if you need it.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Never have had a problem with the Splenda syrups, and my motto is, "If Linda can eat it, ANYONE can eat it!"

I suspect since splenda is a polymer of sucrose, it may test positive (the strips contain aspergillus enzymes, from mold), but not be broken down by human enzymes. But creamer -- that contains a lot of starch!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts