The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Ok this is actually really a silly question, and I'm a tad embarrassed about asking this, but I have noticed that everyone tests 2 hours after meals. Why??

My doctor, diabetes educator, nutritionist, endocrinologist never told me about that, and I was curious as to why?

stripes

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I want to know the same thing!

There is a lot of evidence out there that suggests that spiking BGL also causes damage to our body. So testing 2 hours after (that is when your spike is over) is only seeing 1/2 the problem. Your 2 hour BGL could be a respectable 120... BUT your 1 hour could be 180 or higher.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
At first I tested at both 1-hour and 2-hour intervals - that's when I was getting a feel for which foods to limit or avoid. The 1-hour definitely gives you the spike, as diabetes86 says. The 2-hour interval is to learn if you're safely on your way back to normal levels, or if something might be causing a "slow burn" and keeping you higher for a longer period of time (pizza is notorious for this, btw!).

Once I got a picture for most of the foods I eat regularly, I don't test at the 1-hour interval unless I've introduced something new to my meal, or perhaps ate more than usual (or if I'm eating someone else's cooking & don't know fer shure what's in it! heheh), but I do still test at the 2-hour interval now & then, just to make sure I've dropped back down where I belong. And sometimes I get a really nice surprise - like eating wedges of raw cabbage this week - dropped me well below my usual postprandial readings. Nice to know those things.

Because test strips are so expensive, I have to resist the temptation to test more often, but I really don't think we can test too much, especially at first, if cost is not a consideration. I don't mean compulsively every hour on the hour, of course - but keeping a weather eye on our levels can't help but improve our understanding of what's happening with our bodies.

And stripes? The only silly questions are the ones we won't ask . . . I've always said there are things in this world that we just don't know unless somebody tells us, and if we're afraid to ask, nobody will know we don't know! :D Ask all the questions you want! We're here to help each other!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I was told to test more often for awhile. I have decided to wait until 3 hours post meal. My digestion is slow and if I check at 2 hours then I am low. If I treat the 2 hour low then I am high at 4 hours. If I treat a low at 2 hours then I need to test in another 15 minutes to see where I am at. I would be testing about every hour and half and I just don't think I need to test that often. I think that testing often does tell us much about how our body responds to food.:popcorn::pizza:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts