The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

61 - 80 of 202 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,511 Posts
i think I would have turned it red today just breathing on it.

Reactions: VeeJay

·
Banned
563 Posts
I fasted 27 hours for religious reasons from Friday at about 5:30 pm to Saturday at 8:30 pm. That means NO food, NO liquid, nada! I felt great because I prepared well: tapered off caffiene about 1 month ahead, was well-hydrated before the fast, and ate a meal with lots of protein and mostly fat before the fast began.

So I was interested in what my blood glucose and ketones would do. At the end of the fast my BG was 81. I felt a little low around 5 pm, and I suspect I had an adrenalin rush that increased my BG at that time. I was not hungry at all!

My ketones surprised me. I expected a "fast red" but got a "slow red" instead--it only turned red at the very last second of blowing.

And I didn't lose an ounce, despite a very normal high fat moderate protein meal after the fast--I didn't overeat, I stopped when satiated and it was the same amount I usually eat at a meal.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Been sick with a high fever for a few days with no appetite and not much to eat, but managed to stay in the yellow throughout. Better today, just a low-grade fever a few times. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Not eating for a few days SHOULD mean some weight loss. Want to drop another 5 lbs. This may do it - if I don't become overly hungry when I get well.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I haven't posted any readings for a few days, OK, 3 weeks, because I've been :
A. Lazy
B. Busy
C. Forgetful
D. All of the above

The answer is of course D. but mostly A. :)

I have been taking readings though and as most people are interested in how do the Ketonix acetone readings compare to the Blood meter BHOB readings I thought I would post some. My observation is that they compare " kind of ". I know that they are measuring different ketones and will not always show the same thing but overall if my Ketonix is running lower the BHOB tends to run lower also but not necessarily at the same time. A few readings: Note that this is for the Sport model and it gives you a number of blinks from 1-10 to show how close you are to the next color:

10/1 10AM Yellow 6 blinks
6PM Red 1 blink
10/2 3PM Yellow 1 blink
10/3 5PM Yellow 4 blinks
10/4 11AM Green 8 blinks BHOB 1.1 ( low for me )
10/5 7AM Yellow 5 blinks
10/7 4PM Yellow 6 blinks
8PM Red 2 blinks BHOB 2.7
10/8 7PM Red 2 blinks BHOB 4.6
10/9 9AM Red 1 blink
6PM Red 2 blinks
10/10 5PM Yellow 8 blinks
7PM Red 2 blinks BHOB 5.6
10/12 4PM Yellow 10 blinks BHOB 4.3
10/13 6PM Red 2 blinks
10/15 5PM Red 2 blinks

I don't know if this gives anyone any insight but it is some data that may be interesting. Another thing is that the highest reading I have gotten with the Ketonix is two blinks, even when my BHOB was 6.0. I don't know if this is as high as the Ketonics registers or not but I have emailed the question to the Ketonics support to see if that is the highest it goes. Overall I am confident that the Ketonics is doing a pretty good job of showing the state of ketosis and I am not going to purchase any more of the expensive blood test strips.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Wally, good to see you post here again. Your chart is impressive, and so are your numbers.

I haven't posted my results much either (been really sick with a virus - this thing has lasted for 12 days!) but throughout the illness I've maintained at least a yellow (standard unit) and now and then red. Probably because I had little appetite for the better part of a week (lost a few pounds).

Now that I'm eating more, I've not seen much higher than yellow. I need to tighten up on the portion control. If I eat a lot at one time I can see a drop in the readings for several hours afterward.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Hi VeeJay, I am going to try and test with the Ketonix more times during the day, if I can remember, just to get an idea of how it changes during the day. The great thing is that you can test as often as you want and it doesn't cost anything. I just get busy doing other things and forget.
On another note, I sent an email to Ketonix support asking if the Red on the sport ever went over two blinks as that was the highest mine has ever gone and by blood ketones have been up to 6.0. He got back to me this morning (fast) and I thought his answer would be interesting to others using the Ketonix so I am posting his reply here:

Hi Wallace!

Well no It could go to 10 but that is very high. The most I have seen is 5 in the red range.

The bhob and the acetone is two different animals which comes from the same source …then the similarities stop.

If you have a high bhob, your body have a good buffer of ketone energy in your blood and might not need to produce more ketones

depending on your energy need, e.g the ketogenesis becomes less active until you need more. If you then are not using the buffered ketones

(bhob) the acetone will decrease over time ….

Here is some information that I often refer to about the workings…

CORRELATION TO BETA-HYDROXYBUTYRATE

The correlation between blood and acetone is real and good ... when certain conditions exists like using a fasting protocol which is common in studies.

It can be described in a mathematical formula which only is valid in that context. Other situations ... other behaviour and formulas.

The reason that they sometimes correlate is that the acetone and beta-hydroxybutyrate have a common source acetoacetate and beta-hydroxybutyrate turns into acetoacetate when being used as energy.

An example, beta-hydroxybutyrate can be used as energy. When it is used as energy, it first turns back to acetoacetate. Acetoacetate spontaneously release acetone.

The result is beta-hydroxybutyrate decrease and acetone increase. In this situation the ketosis is remained and the beta-hydroxybutyrate will increase after body got some time to "fill up".

Another example is eating to much protein, example a large (to large) fatty steak with a fat sauce and greens. The fat in the meal will get the liver to produce acetoacetate (acetone, beta-hydroxybutyrate) and the excess of protein

might be converted into glucose and triggers insulin and kills the beta-hydroxybutyrate. The level of beta-hydroxybutyrate can be more rapidly destroyed than the breakdown and exhaled amount of acetone. Now the relationship is

high acetone and low beta-hydroxybutyrate. In this example it will take some time to get the ketosis up again, it will decrease during some hours.

A third example, you have a good level of energy in your body (fat in muscles, beta-hydroxybutyrate in blood) and had a long sleep. The body had no food to process or need to make more energy, ketogenesis is low. As the acetone is

broken down and exhaled over time, you may find a high beta-hydroxybutyrate and a low acetone level. This is a typical "morning value" to be low. (Im usually in green, about 5). During the day you eat and move, your body needs energy and

the ketogenesis increases. More acetoacetate (and acetone, beta-hydroxybutyrate) is generated. You would see a increase of acetone, and depending on your fat-adaption and energy expenditure, some level of beta-hydroxybutyrate.

Well to sum it up: acetone indicates the generation of acetoacetate. Acetone is not used for energy and is broken down in liver and exhaled. When using beta-hydroxybutyrate, acetone increase. Beta-hydroxybutyrate can be buffered in blood.

When energy is needed it gets used and acetone increase.

Ketonix measures the acetone and indicates the ketosis, creation and usage of ketones. It does not measure "blood ketones", their existence depends on how much you save or use. In some situations, like a study when a fasting protocol is used to

get the subjects producing ketones the relationship can be formulated.

The ketonix indicates "ketosis" - creation and usage of ketones, not the current unused concentration of beta-hydroxybutyrate in blood.

If one needs to know how much beta-hydroxybutyrate there is in their "gastank (blood)", the best way is to use a blood ketone tester.

Another difference is that the beta-hydroxybutyrate can be destroyed in minutes if a insulin spike is generated, Acetone is exhaled and broken down in liver, which

takes more time (hrs).

I hope this explains some of your question?

Best Regards

Michel

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Boy, that's a lot of information to absorb. However, what I'm understanding as it relates to me and my Ketonix readings:

First thing in the morning if there's no need for ketones yet, then there isn't much production of them for energy - thus the low readings.

As the day progresses and more energy is expended in moving and exercise, then ketones are being created from fats and there is a rise in acetones and, thus, a rise in the meter readings.

I'm wondering if one does some mild exercise either before or right after breakfast if that would jump-start ketone production and one would have a high level of concentration that would show up on the meter.

I'm thinking that the higher the meter reading is more of a measurement of the body's need for ketones/fuel which stimulates their production, and the lower readings just mean there is less need for new ketones to be made.

Is this a correct way of interpreting Michel wrote?

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Yes VeeJay, I think you are right. I think testing at different times under different conditions will prove interesting, I just have to do it. :)

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
After a morning of mild exercise, and a few more strenuous activities this afternoon, the reading is in the RED.

So I suppose the exercise caused my body to make more fuel, and, therefore, a higher concentration of acetone breath.

This, with the fact that 1hr pp lunch BG was 135! WTH? (Although it's with a Relion meter so that could have easily been 125, but, still...) Could have been a liver dump, also. Anyway, I apparently worked it off and ketone production kicked in.

This is a whole new way of looking at the Ketonix readings. Fascinating.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I stayed in the RED for several hours and dropped to yellow about 8:00pm. These readings are higher than I've been getting. So I expect the exercise raised my metabolism and thus increased fat metabolism.

This morning was yellow rather than green. Hummmm ???

My initial conclusion is that I definitely need some sort of exercise to keep my metabolism rate up. Although I'm no longer concerned that low readings mean I'm going out of ketosis.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got my meter today and first reading is yellow! Yippee!

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I haven't been posting my readings lately. Been dealing with some health issues.

Mostly my readings have been low (green) and sometimes moderate (yellow) - all readings come on after I finish blowing (standard model).

This morning I got a high (red) reading. It was after breathing, but within seconds. I think I ate more fat yesterday and ate less quantity overall. And, I ate late into the evening.

I have also lost some weight (from being sick and the need to reduce food quantity per meal/snack). But it has now stabilized. I'm not complaining because I really needed to lose those last 5 lbs.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I haven't been posting lately because it's kind of boring. With the Sport Model I usually get red with two blinks most of the time. I did get red with three blinks the other day which is the first time so I tested blood ketones and got a 2.4 which is good but not that high. yesterday morning I got yellow with 6 blinks which is lower than usual so I tested blood ketones again and got a 1.8 so I figure there is nothing wrong at all with yellow :) Ketonix and blood ketones seem to kind of correlate but can also be different but I am getting more confidence in the Ketonix as a good measure of ketosis.

·
Super Moderator
9,511 Posts
BH is getting me a Ketonix sport for Christmas. Ordered off of Amazon and got notified delivery would be 1/5 - 1/28, boooo. Notified that it shipped 3 days ago. Reading one customer review referencing other customers complaints of not knowing when they were getting theirs, he/she stated they got theirs the week after they ordered it. If I am as lucky...yay...it will be under the tree Christmas morning.

Looking forward to seeing what my ketones are doing before, during, and after a bike ride. I got the rechargeable battery for it.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
This week all my readings have been in the RED (high). Not only that, the colors are changing before I finish blowing, which it hasn't done much previously.

Because of my stomach issues, I have had to eat much less at a time and I'm careful to include a fair amount of fat with each mini-meal to keep the calories up (don't want to lose anymore weight - OMG, is that ME? saying that!) Anyway, the result of this has been that I'm staying much deeper into ketosis than I had previously.

(I'm not at all implying that anyone else needs to eat small meals to get well into ketosis - I have to because of delayed stomach emptying.)

·
Super Moderator
9,511 Posts
If I get my Ketonix before Christmas it will be a surprise, Amazon shows shipped and expected delivery Monday January 28th, Swedish Post shows in transit (Göteborg - The package is in transit to its destination - Thursday December 11th - This package has been deposited.) Looking on PackageTrackR Posten Sweden. I like the little heading under PackageTrackR at the top of the site - don't worry, we know where your stuff is. Just noticed that, LOL.

Reactions: grammaB and VeeJay

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Mark, I don't remember exactly how long it was after I got notice that my Ketonix shipped that I received it but it seems like it was fairly soon. I think you will like the Sport model. It shows where you are in each color by blinking 1-10 times. Yellow with 10 blinks is almost red. I have been consistently red with 2-3 blinks and have only gotten 4 blinks once. Blood ketone readings are usually in the 3-4 range. The only thing I have a problem with is that it takes about 4-5 min. to warm up but other than that it is easy to use. You don't have to take a deep breath in, just inhale to fill your lungs and you don't have to blow hard, just exhale through the device until you have blown most of the air out and watch the colors. It usually reaches the maximum color after I stop breathing into it. I also bought the battery for it and I think it will be interesting to check before and after exercising. Hope it comes soon.

61 - 80 of 202 Posts